L Cuts - Love em, hate em, learn em, date em?

May 5, 2015
Gasp. Thought I'd just talk about what I'm learning at the moment, L cuts, because all the cool kids are doing it and I'm cliched.

Right, so what's your opinion on the L cut? In other words, do you find them necessary, useful to learn, or not? Plus, if you've learned them, how was the experience?

I like them because they are impressive and novel. Some flourishes start to look the same when they're two handed cuts thrown in with more two-handed cuts. L cuts have a unique grip, and thus the appearance feels fresh.

On the other hand, I HATE them because of the difficulty, but such is cardistry. My right hand (subordinate) has got it fine, but now my left (dominant) hand is struggling. It's odd to have something down in one hand yet feel incompetent in the other. Just like Charlier or other cuts, though, I suppose.

Interested to hear your opinions.

May 24, 2015
I tried to learn the L-Cut and it's just not something I'm ready for. It's not something I'm going to avoid but just not right now.

I don't mind trying to learn a new flourish that is difficult but there moments where you have to realize that based on where you are at there are just some flourishes that you are simply not ready to take on.

The L-Cuts are one of them.

Dec 31, 2014
I feel that L-Cuts are something you should definitely learn if there's nothing holding you back. I use to spend months practicing charlier even while I was already in a late cardistry stage because my hands are tiny. Now, I have a strong foundation on cardistry, but my ring finger is not long enough to reach the edge of the packet. I work around the problem by letting the packet fall, but I end up with REALLY slow L-Cuts, even after getting into a DEEP Tenkai palm. If your hands are big enough, go for it. Right now, L-Cuts aren't something I should really be practicing, but if you're struggling, Dealersgrip has a tips video.

Reactions: MichaelS11287
May 31, 2015
I made the mistake of learning L cuts in my non-dominant (right) hand, but it soon turned out not to be a mistake, because once I could do them with a fair amount of ease in my right hand, they weren't the hardest thing to learn in my left. Right now, speed is my main problem.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results