"Labeling" Effects

Jun 1, 2009
Ok, so I was reading Strolling Hands by Justin Miller, and he was talking about different kinds of openers, middle effects, and closers. He gave examples as well as why each effect fit into that category. I'm still a bit at a loss here however. Let's take Panic for example. I used to close with it because it's so strong, but after watching the new instructional video, Aaron says you can open with it, close with it, or put in anywhere in between. But how? People say an opener should be quick and visual, check mark for Panic. A middle should be a little longer and have a more built up climax, half check mark? A closer needs have a lot of build up, multiple climaxes and a strong ending, well Panic is very strong, but has only one climax.

So if I put Panic in the middle of my set, how do I follow that? I've tried before and it seems to outweigh the other effects, so I just started closing with it. (Note: My question does not pertain just to Panic, but basically all effects and where you know to place them) Yes in a routine we want the effects to flow, but the effects Justin mentioned didn't really transition perfectly. There was a sugar packet effect, coin effects, card effects, and a trick with a key. Sure they don't flow perfectly into each other, but each one marked off the boxes for the category it fell in.

So how short is "short" for an opener? How long should the middle and closing effects be? What is your own criteria for placing your effects in their designated slots? I'm interested to hear your guys' take on this, as well as any advice that can be thrown out, thanks!

Jacob

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I like my "opener" to hit hard and fast in about 30 seconds to grab their attention and emotional hook quickly. It establishes my credibility and sets the tone for what is to come. I typically use Mismade Bill or Warning by Kostya or CMH on their hands.

My closer takes a littler longer because of the patter and reiteration. It hits really hard with a kicker. Banyon's Twisted Sisters.

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah that's what Justin was saying, you want it to set the tone for the rest of the "show" I open with CMH as well, but I plan on sitting down and looking at what I have and adding more hard hitting stuff to my routine. So would you say in between 30 seconds to 1 minute is the ideal time for an opener? I had a misconception that it had to by in like 10 seconds haha.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
A lot depends on your personality and / or character. David Stone may walk over to a table and quickly ask if anyone dropped a coin, and BAM BAM BAM....he is off and running into his coin set.

Someone else may go over and introduce themselves as the "house magician" and do a little meet and greet first to feel them out and then ease into their opener with a climax that hits within the 30 second window. I don't think your opener needs to be 10 seconds (that is a little too fast) but can be done with an appearance of something.

Feb 4, 2008
I have struggled with where to put panic myself. It is such a stong effect that it lends itself as a closer. But because of it's four card plot it really is best used to close a plot that involves a four of a kind in some way. So Jack Synapsis, the Queens, were some of my early thoughts as build ups to Panic. So I would use the Queens to open, go to Jack Synapsis and close with Panic.

Also, Panic is a three phase reveal if you think about it. First the deck vanishes. Then it is revealed that the Kings have jumped to your hands. Finally, the deck appears in your pocket.

Nov 8, 2007
As a middle effect it would be to end your card set and move into your closer that uses something besides cards. Presentation aside for a moment, Panic is strong, I'm sure, but there are definitely effects that in and of themselves are stronger, and they're probably not going to involve playing cards.

Good thoughts.

Jun 1, 2009
Lot's of good ideas here, thanks!

Rick-Yeah I gotcha, I usually ask how everything is going, then I do my rubber band routine, and then I ask their names and get to know them a little more before bringing out the cards so the transition seems more natural.

eostresh- I usually do Doc Daley's Last Trick with the kings which sets me up perfectly for Panic, so I agree with you on that point.

Mat-Good point, that's one thing I was talking about. Let's say I want to close with Free Will, although it doesn't blend perfectly into the last effect with cards, you're not doing a stage show where you should have an underlying theme, but you are showing them some magic and you only have a small window to show them some hard hitting stuff, so I feel like the whole perfect transition thing isn't entirely necessary, you know?

Dice R- Interesting point, I'll consider that, thanks.

Dec 11, 2011
I like to begin with a hard hiting trick like Fuzion or Canibal them I move to some impromptu card tricks when I am with the gimmick I perform the gecko and end with a TnR for give them a souvenier of my show

Jun 1, 2009
Not meaning to bump but I have another question. Take an effect like "Your Name Here." It's a great ice breaker, but it also takes like 5 seconds. So would that count as an opener? Or just as a "warm up" or "in between effect." I feel like an opener has to have some more merit and substance to it, you know?

Nov 8, 2007
Mat-Good point, that's one thing I was talking about. Let's say I want to close with Free Will, although it doesn't blend perfectly into the last effect with cards, you're not doing a stage show where you should have an underlying theme, but you are showing them some magic and you only have a small window to show them some hard hitting stuff, so I feel like the whole perfect transition thing isn't entirely necessary, you know?
I don' think you need perfect transitions either, but you specifically asked how to work Panic into your et as a middle effect, so that was what I was responding to.
...So if I put Panic in the middle of my set, how do I follow that?...
Kind of confused that you asked for advice specifically on that issue and now you're saying it doesn't matter?

Jun 1, 2009
Sorry, I realize it is a little confusing. Yes I was asking about Panic, so I appreciate your response. I also was asking about where to put certain effects and why into a walk around set. I understand now I can use Panic as part of a card routine as a part of my walk around set as a whole. One of my sets of three effects doesn't have to be all cards, so I can have a quick opener with rubber bands, the go into a quick card set and finish that section with Panic, and then close the whole thing up with Free Will.
I apologize for all the confusion haha.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results