Last Minute Gig...Success!

Jun 1, 2009
Friday night I got a call at about 8:30 at night. It was a mom who says they saw me at Mellow Mushroom (the pizza place I perform at) a while back and I made balloon animals and did magic for their daughters. She apologized for the late notice, and wanted to book me for her daughters birthday party...the next day at 3:20. I said I could find time to do it, and we worked out all the logistics. 50 bucks for about 45 minutes. It was at a fitness center her and her husband work out at all the time. Anyway, I got there and the kids were all in the gym playing and running around. I met with the mom and I was shown the room they would all be in for the party. I walked around and did some magic for some parents while we waited. Then we moved into the party room. All the kids sat down in front of me where I did a sponge bunny routine that all the kids really got into, and finished with a 5 inch bunny load, they all went crazy, even the parents! I then did French Kiss using blank cards (thank you to Michael Kras) and different colored markers so the kids could keep track easier (they were from 2-5). I just had the birthday girl hold the card really high so everyone could see, and then had her mimic me in waving my hand and snapping to make the magic happen. When I revealed the transposition, again everyone reacted fantastically. After that I just did balloon animals while the kids sat down at the tables, and would make repairs while they were running around and would pop them or untangle them. I ended up staying a little longer, but it was fine. The dad took me out of the room and paid me 60 instead of the quoted 50, he was super grateful for me coming on late notice and him and his wife wouldn't stop praising me on what a good job I did haha.

Before I left I handed out cards to the other parents, who were asking the woman who hired me about me already, and I also talked to an employee there who kind of organizes all the parties and such, and he said he was willing to add me to the party package list. That's a great resource to have to get other gigs and meet more people.

Overall I had a great time and so did everyone else. I love getting that feeling after a gig where you're just like "I killed it, that was so much fun!"

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah thanks I did! I've seen different opinions on taking last minute gigs, but balloon animals aren't really something you need to script out haha.

Feb 7, 2011
Man reading this is making me feel pumped! I agree with doing last minute gigs or "flash gigs" to an extent. Obviously not everyone's show is suited to less than 24 hours notice, but i think somewhat accomplished performers can easily put together entertainment for 45 minutes with a half a day to prepare, and these days it's really too hard to turn down that extra money. As long as the clients and potential clients see that you are doing them a big turn, and wouldn't usually do gigs on such short notice. Then all is good. Thanks for posting.

Jun 1, 2009
Man reading this is making me feel pumped! I agree with doing last minute gigs or "flash gigs" to an extent. Obviously not everyone's show is suited to less than 24 hours notice, but i think somewhat accomplished performers can easily put together entertainment for 45 minutes with a half a day to prepare, and these days it's really too hard to turn down that extra money. As long as the clients and potential clients see that you are doing them a big turn, and wouldn't usually do gigs on such short notice. Then all is good. Thanks for posting.

Thanks man! Glad I could get you pumped haha. I don't have a full "show" yet for kids, but those two effects play really well and can play out longer if you milk all the little moments the kids give you. I didn't say right away I could do it, I waited a while to make it seem like I had other stuff going on that day, kind of to up my value and not come off desperate. Thanks for reading!

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Sounds like fun, you did a great job, congratulations!
Though I wouldn't really call your show a magic show since you only perform 2 tricks out of 45 minutes but the balloon animals I guess make up for the spare time.
Also, how many kids were there, if there's no more than 50 kids i would recommend you look into one of my favorite magic effects called the rising voodoo doll. Kids and adults really loved it and not a lot of people do this effects nowadays, and that's what makes me, as well as you too if you choose to perform this effect, stands out. The rising doll is great for kids and i use the presentation about the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz so they can relate to. The rising doll is a great addition to your kids show if you choose to perform it, but make sure to practice this effect really well, it looks easy but trust me when I say that not a single person that I've seen besides me can perform this effect well.
Again, great job on your last minute decision on doing the gig, you made every magician proud! Keep up the great work Jacob!

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah I don't really call it a show either, but the effects went over really well.

How did I know you would mention the Voodoo Doll? Haha. I'm kind of tight on money right now, but I'll check it out. There were about 20-25 kids I believe.

Thank you for your support!

Feb 7, 2011
Sounds like fun, you did a great job, congratulations!
Though I wouldn't really call your show a magic show since you only perform 2 tricks out of 45 minutes but the balloon animals I guess make up for the spare time.
Also, how many kids were there, if there's no more than 50 kids i would recommend you look into one of my favorite magic effects called the rising voodoo doll. Kids and adults really loved it and not a lot of people do this effects nowadays, and that's what makes me, as well as you too if you choose to perform this effect, stands out. The rising doll is great for kids and i use the presentation about the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz so they can relate to. The rising doll is a great addition to your kids show if you choose to perform it, but make sure to practice this effect really well, it looks easy but trust me when I say that not a single person that I've seen besides me can perform this effect well.
Again, great job on your last minute decision on doing the gig, you made every magician proud! Keep up the great work Jacob!

Hahahaha, you love that voodoo doll man!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Well done Jacob. This is how the word of mouth will travel like wild fire and you will start getting more and more gigs. Thanks for sharing.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Glad it all worked out...

But most importantly..even in a short notice like the one you had..you have your routines down perfectly...so it´s perfectly fine to take a gig with little to no notice... that´s the only way I do recomend to take last minute gigs..when you have your show ready and rehearsed to perfection...

congrats!!! you did well!!!

Jun 1, 2009
Thanks guys!
Rick, that's the plan haha. The people who live in that area are pretty wealthy, so I can probably charge more and not feel bad haha.

Luis: Exactly, those two effects I do all the time, so I wasn't worried about not being prepared. Thanks for commenting!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results