Learning Card Flourishes

Jun 9, 2012
England
Heya,
This is my first post so, hello all!

Recently I have been watching videos of the Magic-Con 2012 conference. I was blown away by the stuff that was being done with cards. I began to think about where I was with my own ability, and how I could improve. I've only been doing magic and flourishing for about 9 months, and I am sure that I have improved, but when I see what these guys are doing it makes me feel like I'm getting no nearer.
For starters I don't even know where to look in order to learn these skills. If anyone could give me some advice regarding this I would be very grateful. I would love to get better at flourishing in particular but I don't really know where to start to build those foundation skills.

Thanks a lot,
Tom

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Hey there!

If you really want to take your flourishing farther, you should definitely check out Genesis here on Theory11. I don't have it personally but I have heard nothing but praise about it. Also, if you feel like you have that stuff down, you should definitely go check out the Trilogy by Dan and Dave Buck. Absolutely stellar stuff on there and I think you'll like it! Once you get through stuff like that, you should definitely try and create your own flourishes. This really just comes down to screwing around with cards and trying different variations on moves that you know, and then finding a new concept and running with it.

To really check out the best of the best, you should look at Tobias Levin, Oliver Sogard, Henrik Forberg, Dan and Dave, Andrei, Michael Herp, and loads of others!

Watching different flourishers will give you different viewpoints on style and the creative processes of some of these geniuses!

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Mar 4, 2012
For flourishing get the system by dan and dave buck I don't have it but apparently it's great.Also you should flourishes on YouTube so I'll give you theory YouTube user name
Look up these guys:
Theorbicularisoculi
wwwtobiaslevincom
fukkinsanti
henrikforberg
Oliversogard
BeatleMaan

Oct 5, 2011
Canada
I sometimes find myself in the same situation as you, where I do not feel like I am really getting any better. What I do to overcome this feeling is try to think of learning/practicing as play instead of work. I try not to focus too much on getting better, but rather enjoy the process of getting there.

Jun 9, 2012
England
Thanks for the very fast responses. It is clearly a great community here so thanks a lot!

Having read the sticky note after posting (silly me) I found a lot of information there, but what you have told me has basically put the icing on the cake; excuse the pun :p. I will definately check out those YouTube channels thank you, and I think I will buy some DVD's from Dan & Dave. I suppose your right that those people are more than likely doing original content, I've gotta get to the point where I have the ability to mess around.

@CookYourself - love the name BTW - I completely agree with what you said, I suppose you can just get wound up sometimes because it's not an easy thing. Perseverance and love for flourishing will get me there!

Thanks again for the fast responses,
Tom

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results