Left or right handed?

Sep 1, 2007
California
hey guys, this is the king of cards here. I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me on left and right handed card handling. I know that traditionally magicians use their left hands for everything, but for some reason when I learned magic I did it the other way around, and ended up using my right hand. Some said I did this because I am left handed, but I am indeed right handed, so I don't really know how my disposition came about. It gets painful to have to flip around peoples instructions for my right hand when they were intended to be learned with the left. Can anyone help me switch over to using my left hand?

Thanks =)

Sep 1, 2007
Denmark
I have a friend who is right handed at everything, except cards! So you're not alone.

Unless you're Jonas it doesn't matter which hand you are using. Just do what feels natural to you...

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I am left handed at everything, EVEN cards :) So it is very individual.

If you want to switch to using your left hand instead of the right one, i suggest starting over from square one and build up the strength and coordination in your left hand...

OR

Just put a mirror infront of the TV ;)

When I first started magic I started using my right hand for everthing, (I was working on my Le Paul Spread and pass), but as I bought more and more learning sources I was saying to myself "Why do magicians use their left hand for everthing?":eek:. Not wanting to be different I started from scratch with trying to spreading the cards and holding breaks with the left hand to where I am now trying so hard to perfect my pass.:rolleyes: So the only thing I can say to you is keep going, if you want to, but you will find things will be alot easier to learn after you build up cordination and strength with your left hand. :D

Sep 2, 2007
Unless you're Jonas it doesn't matter which hand you are using. Just do what feels natural to you...

I'd pay a lot of money to have all my card-handling as well as most other things mirrored. I don't like being a leftie at all. It's too late for me to switch back now though, by just practising as a rightie and then doing something as a leftie, I notice now much I'd lose by switching.

I'd like to be a rightie mainly for the sake of magic, indexes of cards make a lot of things troublesome when you're a leftie. Fans a bit trickier, peeks is tricky as well, and it's making tricks I want to perform such as deep thought impossible to perform, unless I use some crappy cards with 4 indexes...

If you don't consider yourself insanely skilled (not that I do) with cards, consider switching into doing card-handling right-handedly, or you'll miss out on a lot of things.

Sep 1, 2007
I agree. I fan with my left hand, and it looks like crap considering all you see is white when you fan face up.

Sep 1, 2007
Well I am right handed but handle cards as a lefty too
not only cards, even tt, ropes, ninja rings..
But there are a few exceptions, i handle my coins , manipulations, snap changes, spongeballs in a righty way..
strange isnt it huh? my mum is a lefty

Well.. in my case I find that I do certain things better with either one hand or the other... so those who train with me will know what passes or cuts depending on what hand I use (is that a bad thing?)

either way.. I think this is good (audience wise) as the deck is constantly being shifted from one hand to another :p

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm left-handed at everything, and I love it. :D

As for fans being blank when you do them left-handed, I have a great solution to that problem: learn to fan in both hands. I did. :p

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
You should learn EVERY single move in BOTH hands or you are only half good at the move.

it is not that hard to learn in one hand once you've learned it in another. now, if you are planning on just staying at home and editing webcam videos together to share your talent, you could probably get away with being a one-armed bandit. but should you ever want to go public, being a one-side-only cripple will affect you in many ways... all negatively....

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Since practising stuff on both hands usually require more time than learning it with one hand, now if you put the extra time needed to learn it to your other hand in to more practise with the same hand, technically you would be able to do more with that same hand. (not talking about the moves that require both)

so in the end you have to make a choice of either be 1 hand wonder, or 2 hand jack. and seriously since it is a performance art, the audience dont give a damn which hand you perform. And they sure as hell will want to see the wonder than something mediocre on both hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
do your awesome one-handed laymen routine and it'll go over well. but, try following a performance where someone just busted out a huge routine in both hands simulatenously , finishing with twin totally one-handed giant fans, and the audience will prefer the 2-handed guy. if you insist on only training one hand because of laziness it will also greatly limit your ability to link combos (without returning to your "good hand" for every move) or to present the most ideal viewing angle while still filling up as much space with your routine as you can. I don't expect everyone to understand this immediately but the more you learn about routining you start to see these things. Also when you haven't got even a foundation in the basics in both hands, it can MASSIVELY limit your "power moves" conceptually.

And they sure as hell will want to see the wonder than something mediocre on both hand.

well yeah assuming you are so bad and lazy that you're incapable of learning something well in both hands - or even one hand - it's a given (by definition) that no-one wants to see something mediocre done. it's a fallacy to suggest that just because it's more difficult, you're doomed to mediocracy.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
it has nothing to do with laziness or difficulty what so ever, it has to do with the limitation of time, For instance Person A practise only with 1 hand while person B practise both, for the Same time spent, person A will always be able to perform better than person B's either hand. u cant say that person B can perform both hands at the same time so it makes up for it as Alot of moves require both hands eventhough the most actions taken place only with 1 hand. so becaues person B is limited by performing either with his left or right, even though he can do it with both but because the less time he spent per hand compare to person A, person A will be able to perform the same effect Better. for instance doing a move like the pass, it has totally no point in learning it with both hands, but ofcourse that is not really cardistry for that matter. but it is a counter statement to your claim "You should learn EVERY single move in BOTH hands or you are only half good at the move."

Sep 1, 2007
Hey, I see your point about getting the most value out of time spent practicing. BUT you have to understand that the root of the issue lies much deeper than that. You see it is not ONLY developing a particular 'trick' when you're learning moves in your "bad hand", it's also building strength, flexibility, mind/body connection (mental agility?) that you can then parlay into many, many other moves, hopefully your own original ideas.

Also remember you could apply your logic to any difficult area of flourishing. "Well... it takes a long time to learn springs, and build up the hand strength... springs are just one little aspect of flourishing so I'd rather spend the time perfecting my cuts... the audience doesn't want to see mediocre springs anyways!" See, YES it is more difficult and time consuming to learn some of the more esoteric aspects of card handling, but it is time well spent!!!

besides, If you're learning a cut for the first time using one-hand... what is the other hand doin? it might as well be learning it at the same time! :D

now, I understand that for some guys that have been practicing like a mofo one-handed for many years, it may seem like a huge barrier to try to learn moves with the other hand, because it's bound to be in worse shape. but don't cheat yourself and be very aware of the real reason you choose not go back to learn with your "bad hand" ... that's why its best to start with it as a beginner .

. for instance doing a move like the pass, it has totally no point in learning it with both hands, but ofcourse that is not really cardistry for that matter. but it is a counter statement to your claim "You should learn EVERY single move in BOTH hands or you are only half good at the move."

I totally disagree with this! You never know what angular situation can come up, and being able to do every move with both hands ensures that you can flow with whatever is happening during your magic, or flourishing. Because now you're thinking on a systems-engineering level... WHAT needs to be done rather than HOW you're going to do it. (not that you can't do that to an extent one-handed, but it's greatly limited) So say you mess up a move, or a spectator doesn't exactly follow instructions, or something throws a monkey wrench into your rigid, very well trained sequence... by having an ambidextrous skill set you're able to 'roll with the punches' much better.

well I'm not doing a very good job of concisely explaining what I mean by this, but if you wait (could be a long time) till I get more skilled and more time to think about it , I will go in depth on this concept in general another time.

PS try a "fakie" WERM some time it can tend to blow your circuits. remember stuff like even trying a new way of brushing your teeth with the opposite hand has been proven to help prevent alzheimers... the benefits go on and on! :D

Sep 1, 2007
Have you guys seen Linus' videos? I didn't want to read the whole thread but If you watch Linus' videos, especially the Double Hands Cut, you will probably want to learn moves well in both hands.

Sep 1, 2007
California
Thanks for all the tips guys!

Yeah, i've been into magic for what, now 4 years or so? Well, i've pretty much gotten down everything using my right hand... so i guess it's time to start from square one and go to my left hand. Awkward thing is I see many magicians who perform right handed with cards, yet with TT and others stuff they use their right hand. An example would be Sankey, with his Hundred Dollar Miracles, etc.

As for the fans and stuff, i've gotten down about 6-8 different fans which is pretty cool, and I just wish they had cards with pips on the opposite corners. That would sove all my problems...well at least some of the fanning ones. If all else fails, i'll just get everything mirrored using the money i make with tips and checks at parties, etc.

thanks again guys!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results