Let's Talk Magic

Not sure how many of the T11 members got around to viewing any of the 2009 FISM acts this year but I would like to share this one with you guys and see if we can talk about it for a bit. Please view first then read further.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uQ5ZjaySek&feature=related

I officially finished Chapter 3 in Ortiz's "Designing Miracles". Charming Choi's 2009 FISM performance came to mind. "Sometimes the difference between a good trick and a great trick isn't a question of showmanship, or of a better method, or of a strong climax. Sometimes the difference is simply that, under the conditions presented to the audience, the final result seems absolutely impossible", As stated by Darwin. Now your average abrasive response from your average magician may be "it looks well choregraphed, and a cups & balls routine under water". But when watching this routine closely I see several things which are not as apparent which inspired me to make this post.

Now why did this act come to mind after that statement? FISM competitions have been catching static in the previous competitions with some claiming mis-judged acts, non originality, and the competitions just plain being a popularity ladder for the biggest names in magic thats neither here or there but thats not my point. I don't know much about Choi so I won't speak out of context on his status in China as a celebrity bit I'm confident in saying he's earned the right to say he has brought one of the most original acts to the competition. Is it the setting or the place that made this act seem brilliant or could it be a few underlying motions or emotions that brought greatness to his performance? Lets see......

From the get go he sets the tone for the rest of his act. He's brought energy and he is having FUN yes, yes, FUN with his performance which is a lacking quality in a majority of beginners when they begin magic. I've performed basic thumb tip magic that may have little signifigance to us but the fact I was enjoying myself and having real fun while doing it has made me money. I try never to focus on the difficulty of a trick but on its outcome.

Choi's originality is great but what else can we take away from this? The delivery here is something that can be talked about. Notice how he takes his time and allows the audience to experience the magic without too much drag but just enough to be felt. I've noticed videos on the web lately that seem rushed, almost like the performer lacks interest in his own trick. It's as if their running through the trick just to prove the "look at me I can do it too complex". I myself have been guilty from time to time with rushing through a trick while performing but it doesn't happen very often and I have to put the brakes on and realize my reason of doing what I'm doing. What we've seen a million times before your spectator may be seeing it for the first time.

Before I go any further with my ranting I would like to hear some other aspects of the art of performing from some of the members here. Maybe something thats come to mind recently with something you've seen or done, but what in you drives you... to be a better performer and what steps do you take to insure that? Anybody?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
I totally agree Shane, I havent performed much stage work, but have done stand up and walk around performances. I will admit that I can sometimes perform an effect either too quick or too slow. I will always be striving for a balance in my performance and grow from it. Now I am my own worst critic an I can admit Im a little stiff when I perform, even my mentor Mark Bonds says so. But practice makes perfect, lately I've seen someone perform a zombie ball routine and he lacked the fluidity and the grace of skill to pull off a convincing performance, the ball should appear to be alive, full of energy, not stiff and rigid. This goes out to other types of magic, tho not for everyone I agree on that, but card manipulation, coin, etc should be more loose. Methods an presentations are only the ingredients of your performance. The motions and the audience reactions are the icing on the cake.

May 31, 2008
From the get go he sets the tone for the rest of his act. He's brought energy and he is having FUN yes, yes, FUN with his performance which is a lacking quality in a majority of beginners when they begin magic. I've performed basic thumb tip magic that may have little signifigance to us but the fact I was enjoying myself and having real fun while doing it has made me money. I try never to focus on the difficulty of a trick but on its outcome.

I like that you brought that up. It seems to me that when I began magic I had more fun than I do now. Sometimes I remember performances of mine when I was only a year into magic, and I think, "Wow, I had good presentation." I'm saying, I think my presentation was better when I was a beginner. I've been trying to go back to my loose and fun presentation that I had before. It is not easy.

I like that you brought that up. It seems to me that when I began magic I had more fun than I do now. Sometimes I remember performances of mine when I was only a year into magic, and I think, "Wow, I had good presentation." I'm saying, I think my presentation was better when I was a beginner. I've been trying to go back to my loose and fun presentation that I had before. It is not easy.

I believe there's a spark in excitement that dimmers in all entertainers from time to time. Magicians are much like batteries in the essence we need to re-charge our battieries and get that spark back. I find pulling old books containing tricks from Mark Wilson, Jean Hugard, Slydini, and my apocalypse series can sometimes remind me of what I'm forgetting. Also taking periodical steps back from the politics and favored areas in magic help with that as well. Another thing that helps me is to go back and perform for people that knew me in my beginnings it's like deja vu'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree Shane, I havent performed much stage work, but have done stand up and walk around performances. I will admit that I can sometimes perform an effect either too quick or too slow. I will always be striving for a balance in my performance and grow from it. Now I am my own worst critic an I can admit Im a little stiff when I perform, even my mentor Mark Bonds says so. But practice makes perfect, lately I've seen someone perform a zombie ball routine and he lacked the fluidity and the grace of skill to pull off a convincing performance, the ball should appear to be alive, full of energy, not stiff and rigid. This goes out to other types of magic, tho not for everyone I agree on that, but card manipulation, coin, etc should be more loose. Methods an presentations are only the ingredients of your performance. The motions and the audience reactions are the icing on the cake.

I couldn't agree with you more the reactions are the hindsight of our performances. The zombie ball, D'lites, billiard routines, etc require a extra touch to give fluidity to the routine and that comes from practice and repitition. Remember practice is a entertainers best investment not your props.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Precisley Shane, before me and my mentor became student and teacher, I never realized the potential I really had. I thought I knew what was needed to to do a performance, but I couldnt have been more wrong, my mentor made me realize amongst the magic, props, your presentation its whether people will like you even with a reputation an a name, lay people tho again not all will judge a book by its cover. You can have the confidence and the necesseties, if people get a negative vibe off you they will either turn you down or bust you out. I love magic, its what drives me, its my addiction. Showing off your mad skills is one thing, but showing off your skills while having fun AND having fun with your audience will leave a more memorable expirence and overall better buisness.

100 views and 2 responses to something that actually has to do with magic. Thats sad. I clearly picked the wrong board to have a real conversation on. Peace. Its a slippery hill here full of showboaters and useless information. Just needed the push thanks.

Not 100% on what the question is.
like aspects of an act we over look?
Timing is one of the biggest things. too many magicians do their tricks too fast. the dont allow reaction time, or make that dl turnover look smooth and slow.
i noticed in my older videos that i would try to rush the move. because i believe that rushing covered the move more than not rushing. this is not true.
i also noticed that i would move thru phases too soon.
After i watched the footate, i told my self i need to slow down a little.
it helps alot.
and it is very much overlooked, coverd by patter and skill.

Not 100% on what the question is.
like aspects of an act we over look?
Timing is one of the biggest things. too many magicians do their tricks too fast. the dont allow reaction time, or make that dl turnover look smooth and slow.
i noticed in my older videos that i would try to rush the move. because i believe that rushing covered the move more than not rushing. this is not true.
i also noticed that i would move thru phases too soon.
After i watched the footate, i told my self i need to slow down a little.
it helps alot.
and it is very much overlooked, coverd by patter and skill.
"Before I go any further with my ranting I would like to hear some other aspects of the art of performing from some of the members here. Maybe something thats come to mind recently with something you've seen or done, but what in you drives you... to be a better performer and what steps do you take to insure that? Anybody? "

Qouted from the last paragraph of my original post.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well to help answer your question further Shane, to improve my performance and the way I perform, I am planning on talking to a few dance instructors....for I feel this might help me open up a little. Trust me I dance like a brick, so this is one way this could help evolve me to the nxt level. Also I am planning to attend gigs with my mentor Mark and recording his performances and learning first hand on timing an the lil nuainces to a performance that creates impact and a memory. And yes its a lil sad that a topic that is heavily involving magic and the performer in general...im suprised not seeing a more variety of opinions...ideas..and overalll ways of how others changed or will be changing there ways to be someone memorable in there audiences eyes and to be entertained. *sigh*

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results