Lets talk Top Change

Aug 18, 2008
I feel like I am a fairly advanced magician. I am not saying this in any way to try to brag. I have spent a lot of time on a lot of difficult sleights and such. The Top Change has always been something that has eluded me. I can honestly say that mine sucks. I learned the proper technique a while back, but 10 years later i still have this shotty noisy terrible move that I just stopped using. Now that I have found more and more uses for it, id like to learn it properly. So I am looking for some advice or a place to get some advice, I completely forgot where I originally learned it.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2008
You can learn it in Erdnase (Legerdemain: Card switches) or Card College (Volume 1: Chapter 16).

Thanks for the advice. My biggest problem is that it seems to be taught mostly on into to card magic DVD's. I would rather not buy an entire DVD just for the one move. I will go grab my copy of erdnase

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
David WIlliamson's Magic Farm has some beautiful tips on top change. I think you might want to check it out.

Aug 18, 2008
I totally agree, beside the terrific magic in there, this is the technique I use for the top change.

cedwards90, out of interest, do you do any Cups and Balls?

Cheers,

I purchased a nice set a while back, I work with them time to time, not as much as I would like. Same with sponge balls. I have decided to put everything else aside for now until I put some serious work into both.

i read some where when practicing the top change dont look in the mirror that it will make it harder or something like that. but just try to keep practicing. it took me about 3 years to get it where it feels very smooth and quiet good luck!!!

Jun 1, 2009
royal road to card magic has a good explaination on the top change.
crash course 2 explains it also, but i dont know if you would want to purchase that, as you would already know the rest of the slights on there, so it most likely wouldnt be worth it.

Aug 18, 2008
royal road to card magic has a good explaination on the top change.
crash course 2 explains it also, but i dont know if you would want to purchase that, as you would already know the rest of the slights on there, so it most likely wouldnt be worth it.

haha wow, i kind of feel like an idiot now. I own crash course 2, haven't watched that in a long long time, almost forgot about it. Thanks for the tip I will check that out.

Sep 1, 2007
I use the technique tought by David Stone in Window. Which, if people won't freak, I will explain it to you. Here or in a PM.

i use the method taught by larry jennings. its based off of hofensers version of the top change. the move can still be done wile the hands are being burned.its taught on the classic of magic of larry jennings.

Jun 1, 2009
haha wow, i kind of feel like an idiot now. I own crash course 2, haven't watched that in a long long time, almost forgot about it. Thanks for the tip I will check that out.

Haha its fine, we all have our moments :D. No problem, glad I could help.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results