License to Busk?

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Must you have a license that says you can gather a group of people on the street to perform for or can any magician just go out and do it?

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Okay that's kool. I'm going down to a shopping center/movies to perform magic. Then my friend is going to be doing music. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2007
I called my local police station (you might have to call your county clerk, police station, or a lawyer that knows performance laws in your area) They said in a public place you need a license if you are going to take money or have a group of people performing. If you are on private property (which is any property owned by a business that isn't run by the city, county, or state) it is up to the property owner to decide on what is allowed and isn't.

Your best bet is call someone that knows the info for your area, court clerk might be a good place to start, and if you are performing at a shopping center then call the owner of the shopping center and get permission and find out what they'll allow (filming, take tips, etc.) they may have you sign a waver or something.

Better ask someone before hand so you don't get in trouble

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I called my local police station (you might have to call your county clerk, police station, or a lawyer that knows performance laws in your area) They said in a public place you need a license if you are going to take money or have a group of people performing. If you are on private property (which is any property owned by a business that isn't run by the city, county, or state) it is up to the property owner to decide on what is allowed and isn't.

Your best bet is call someone that knows the info for your area, court clerk might be a good place to start, and if you are performing at a shopping center then call the owner of the shopping center and get permission and find out what they'll allow (filming, take tips, etc.) they may have you sign a waver or something.

Better ask someone before hand so you don't get in trouble

Thanks, that was really helpful.

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Here's the deal Tally from someone who just came home tonight from busking.
A)How old are you?
B)What do you plan to perform?
C)Have you written out your patter?
D)how will you draw a crowd?

Here's the deal, you can be a wuss and call the police and ask them, but chances are they'll just lie to you because they're ignorant of the law as well. Unless you live in a major city like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc... you might be able to get away with setting up and just going for it.

Here's the skinny, find a place with loads of foot traffic. Be at least ten feet away from a business doorss. Make sure there is room on the sidewalk for people to walk. You don't want to block traffic as that is what the cops will want to get you for.

All the cops can really tell you is to set up and leave. I doubt they'd ticket you or anything. If you do call, demand that you see the law they are regarding to in print. If they cannot produce the law or if you call the clerk or something and they can't produce it then you can't get in trouble.

However, don't be a jerk to the police.

Go find a blog by jimmy talksalot.

Tell us your routine and I'll tel you if you're ready. It's a tough world out there.
I made $35 tonight in two hours. That's crap. Ten of it goes to parking and ten goes to gas.
Not a good night friend.

However, just go for it.
Try and see what happens. Walk your spot, visualize what you'll do and remember you are superman.

Read Maximum Entertainment. You're a magician, wear it with pride friend!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Here's the deal, you can be a wuss and call the police and ask them.

This is horrible advice. Tally- he's right about everything else, but just because you call the police and ask them, does not make you a wuss. It makes you aware of the law. :rolleyes:

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
It's horrible advice from someone who does it and will continue to do so.

What are you going to do? Call them with your puberty cracking voice and ask if it's legal to magic on the streets? Of course they'll say no, it's more hassle for them.

Just go out and try and stay off private property.
It's better to get off your butt and try then to sit at home and day dream practicing your madonna cuts.

Just my two cents.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
It's horrible advice from someone who does it and will continue to do so.

What are you going to do? Call them with your puberty cracking voice and ask if it's legal to magic on the streets? Of course they'll say no, it's more hassle for them.

Just go out and try and stay off private property.
It's better to get off your butt and try then to sit at home and day dream practicing your madonna cuts.

Just my two cents.

Yes, he is going to call, because that's the professional thing to do. Just because many people steal things time and time again rather than asking if they can have it, doesn't make it right.

But chances are they'll just lie to you because they're ignorant of the law as well.

Just a tip. If someone is ignorant of information, they cannot be lying to you. They are just telling you what they believe to be the truth...

-ThrallMind

but chances are they'll just lie to you because they're ignorant of the law as well.

I am biased when it comes to remarks regarding the police, but I do want to say that chances are the police are ignorant of the law, but that those laws are handled by completely different people and, in reality, are not laws at all. Frequently certain groups will have contracts with a given city to provide entertainment for certain events and on nights where there is allot of foot traffic in a given area. The police could tell you its fine because, technically, there is no law prohibiting it (unless you are under a certain age).

As someone else stated, contact the actual place you would be busking at, they will know better than anyone else.

C=B

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results