Lifts and breaks and co.

Oct 11, 2012
Bremen/Germany
Just messing around with some easy beginner card tricks right now. Most essential skills are probably (double) lifts, breaks, like getting a break at the button card for Card To Mouth, handling two cards as one, card steals, etc. Of course nobody can do this right away, but I'm just curious: are there some special techniques for these things or is it really just developing a feeling for that and tons of practice?

Dec 29, 2011
A lot of practise, the kinds of moves you are talking about also tend to like misdirection. Which means practise through performance as well as just sitting in front of a mirror.

Nov 27, 2009
What books do you have? I might be able to show you a technique for getting a break above the bottom card that really improved my card magic, and if you have the right books, it'll be easy because I can just refer you to the book. For getting breaks for DLs and such, the pinky count is invaluable. Learn that and you've got gold at your fingertips.

On the subject of handling doubles, Dai Vernon said that a card is a delicate object and should not be handled like a brick. His point there was that you don't need to exert much effort to control a deck. I have found that the more carefree and relaxed my handling is, the better it looks. This is even true of things like springs and the Le Paul Spread that require tension to work. Once I start tensing up things start looking bad. If you find yourself holding on to a DL from the moment you pick it up until it is face up on the deck, you're probably doing it wrong. The only exception that comes to mind for this is the Stuart Gordon DL, every other DL I've ever seen can be almost tossed as you turn it over, and usually that's what looks best. The Stuart Gordon DL can still be handled in a very carefree manner, but it can't be tossed like other DLs I'm familiar with.

Hope that helps.

Oct 11, 2012
Bremen/Germany
Very good advice! I guess I really handling it too much like a brick. Probably the problem you always have when starting an art, being to stiff and tensed up. I will try to relax! Of course I also like to hear your technique for the button card break. I have no books, but the DVDs Genesis 1 and The Triology, plus some T11 vids. But please feel free to recommend me some! Thanks!!

Nov 27, 2009
Sounds like you have a background in Cardistry, and that will help since you're familiar with proper technique for cuts and shuffles. Do you know the clipshift? I believe there's a bit at the beginning of that move that can be used to get a break above the bottom card.

As far as books go, Jason England's what to read video sums up my recommendations rather well and throws in a few more. I own Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert Card Technique, Card Control by Arthur Buckley, and Erdnase, along with a few books on general magic. All of those are excellent books for someone who's serious about magic. I have a strong background in the older literature of magic and I can honestly say that while the tricks aren't always presented in a modern fashion, and the handlings could be updated, but the underlying effect is always something worth trying.

I'll try to get a video or something sent to you for the method of catching a break above the bottom card. Basically you take the deck in biddle grip and use your fingers to pull the bottom card out and eventually it pops free of the thumb and falls into a position where you can get a thumb break. That's a terrible explanation, but you might be able to work it out from there.

I noticed you're located in Germany, so I'll add this to my recommendations. Books are great, but sometimes the older ones that I read take a while to comprehend, even for me with English as my only language. If English is your second language videos may be easier, but if you're willing to take the time to either find books in your first language (I assume that would be German), or to read and try to comprehend books in English I can promise that you will not be disappointed. I always tell people to go buy books because they are the best source of information, but when you have trouble understanding the language the books are written in, videos are a much less frustrating solution.

Oct 11, 2012
Bremen/Germany
Yeah, I know the clipshift. Didn't practice it yet, but I guess you mean the part where you apply pressure with the pinky to sorta flip the card out?

I currently get the buttom grip like so (when doing Card To Mouth): After I fan the cards and let the spectator choose one card I put the rest of the cards back in mechanics grip, peel the button card down a bit using my pinky, then I feed the deck into my other hand into biddle grip and with my thumb maintaining the break I did with my pinky. Looks pretty good in front of the mirror (I guess for that, small hands/fingers are handy!), and when performing someone I would also use misdirection.

As for the books I'll defiantly check them out, if they are hard to read I can also use them as training for my main-job (translator) :) !

Dec 29, 2011
Yeah, I know the clipshift. Didn't practice it yet, but I guess you mean the part where you apply pressure with the pinky to sorta flip the card out?

I currently get the buttom grip like so (when doing Card To Mouth): After I fan the cards and let the spectator choose one card I put the rest of the cards back in mechanics grip, peel the button card down a bit using my pinky, then I feed the deck into my other hand into biddle grip and with my thumb maintaining the break I did with my pinky. Looks pretty good in front of the mirror (I guess for that, small hands/fingers are handy!), and when performing someone I would also use misdirection.

As for the books I'll defiantly check them out, if they are hard to read I can also use them as training for my main-job (translator) :) !

Where did you learn Card to Mouth? Personally I'd prefer to use a buckle to get the break, holding it in mechanics, you sort of pull the card back with your index finger pressed against the bottom surface of the deck. You do this while also holding it loosley in the right hand in biddle, and you'll see how easy it is to get a break.

Jul 13, 2010
Do yourself a favour and buy the first two books of card college. Also available in German (Grosse Kartenschule). It`s one of the best resources for the serious card student. As much as I like the Classics (I´m a collector of magic books), this is, in my opinion, the most comprehensive resource for the beginner (and advanced magician).

Lohnt sich wirklich. Hab viele Bücher mit der Thematik gelesen. Aber das ist mit Abstand das "sinnvollste" für den Anfang. Es nimmt dir die Arbeit ab, nach dem "richtigen" Material zu suchen und ist kristallklar und deutlich geschrieben. Bei den Klassikern wirst du oft das Problem haben, dass die Beschreibungen nicht genau genug sind und Fragen offen bleiben. Dadurch kannst du dir sogar im schlechtesten Fall nen schlechten Stil aneignen, den du später nur noch schwer los wirst. Ging mir jedenfalls so und ich hätte am besten gleich mit der Kartenschule anfangen sollen, anstatt mich erst durch die "Klassiker" zu arbeiten (von denen einige, wie ECT oder EATCT damals auch weit über meinen Fähigkeiten lagen). Dafür ist später immer noch Zeit genug (gelesen und studiert haben sollte man natürlich auch die), und vor allem kannst du mit dem erworbenem Wissen damit dann auch mehr anfangen.
Ist nur nicht ganz billig. Solltest also schon vorher wissen, ob das wirklich was ist, mit dem du dich über Jahre lang beschäftigen möchtest.
Übrigens ist Roberto Giobbi, der Autor der Kartenschule, auch gelernter Übersetzer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2009
That is exactly the bit that I'm talking about. Play around with that and you'll find a way to get a perfect thumb break. It's kinda a pull out, grab break, push back action, also handy for prepping for a single card bottom palm.

I love your attitude about the books! When you check out the books, I recommend that read them in the order I listed them. Erdnase could go before or after Card Control, but you need to have the material from Royal Road down before moving on to the other books. You don't have to know every trick in the book, but you should be able to execute some of the moves from chapters 1-11, and 14-18 with absolute confidence before moving on. (If you know at least one method for each move or concept covered in those chapters, you're good.) You can skip chapter 3 if you want, since your background in cardistry covered that already. If the Pass gives you trouble, keep working on it, and move on to other things as well. If you never learn the Pass you will still be able to do excellent card tricks, but it may take some re-thinking of the moves.

You could also follow ChrisWiens advice above, which is excellent. I just can't make the same recommendation because I haven't read the books. If it comes down to price, Royal Road and Expert Card Technique together will cost less than one volume of Card College. (That's the way it is in the U.S, at least.)
Have fun!

(P.S. I have compiled a list of my favorite tricks from Royal Road to Card Magic. I still perform most of them. If you want the list, I'd be happy to send it to you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results