Light

Nov 11, 2009
Hey guys!
This friday I am going to be in the school talent show and I am going to be doing a routine with a light bulb. it will be in a lamp and I will be using a pair of D'lites to "take" the light from the light bulb and just play witht the light a bit.

I was wondering how many of you have performed with light and how did you go about doing this?

I look forward to your replies :)

Josh

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
There is a lot you can do with light bulb effects.

Have them on while in a lamp....unscrew it and then pour milk or salt from the bulb.
You can have it break on its own by using your mental forces.
You can have it light while just being held in your hands.
You can produce a white silk from the inside of the bulb.

Just a D'Lite routine with the bulb may be a little weak by itself. There is a lot more you can do to put together a great light routine.

I'm sure other people can throw out some ideas as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Nov 11, 2009
There is a lot you can do with light bulb effects.

Have them on while in a lamp....unscrew it and then pour milk or salt from the bulb.
You can have it break on its own by using your mental forces.
You can have it light while just being held in your hands.
You can produce a white silk from the inside of the bulb.

Just a D'Lite routine with the bulb may be a little weak by itself. There is a lot more you can do to put together a great light routine.

I'm sure other people can throw out some ideas as well.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanx

I would love to do that kind of stuff but sadly I have no money or time :((((

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Cool. I don't own a pair of Dlites but here's how I would start it off. . .

Have a school desk on stage with the lamp on it turned off.
Go up to it and put your hand behind the bulb in a fist and show that nothing happens yet.
Then rub your hands on you shirt/shoulder/pants or something of the sort to show you're using static electricity. Then move your fist behind the bulb again and make it light up with the Dlite. Move your hand away and let the light go off.

Go to the lamp again and remove the bulb from the lamp with your left hand. Rub your right hand on your shirt again and transfer the bulb to your right hand and push your thumb against the bulb to activate the light(this makes it look like the bulb lit up again by static). Reach with your left hand behind the bulb to "take out" the light from the bulb(activate left thumb). Of course you would have to release pressure with your right thumb from behind the bulb to make that light turn off(otherwise you'd have a light in both hands).

Then go on with your whole Dlite routine. Remember start simple like moving it from hand to hand, and then go for the more showy stuff. Don't start off too fast. Let it gradually get more impressive.
That's all I can think of at the moment. That's just how I would do it.
Good luck though.

P.S. Make sure the lighting isn't too bright. I'd also suggest some slow music at first then speed it up. But that's just a preference.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Danny has given you the basics of what you can do. Great suggestions. I've seen people throw the light up in the air...have it come down and be caught in a clear cup / glass. Obviously you toss it using one hand and when it is caught you press your other thumb up against the back of the cup. With the correct timing it looks cool.

The new bag is out that allows you to toss the light into the bag and you can see the light trickle down the interior of the brown paper sack. You can do that multiple times.

Yes...make sure the lights are dimmed a lot. Depending on what "color" D'lite you are using, some are brighter than others.

Nov 7, 2009
I would have the light on then use the dlites to 'take' the light away as it goes off then put it back on whilst turining the dlites off.. Then keep taking light away and outting it into a paper bag (do this 5-7 times) then rip the bag up showing its empty then expload the light bulb 'with your mind'... Also do this to music :)

Nov 11, 2009
yes I am going to take the light away fromthe lightbulb a couple times.me and my dad have rigged a lamp so that it looks as though it is unplugged the whole time but it has a second cord going from the bottom of the lamp thru a holoe in the table and down to a foot switch which I use to turn the light on and off

i really like the idea of useing a glass to catch the light in im probably gonna use that :)

thanx for all the advice so far:)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
This may seem like a "no duh" comment but make sure the lamp bulb is the same color as your d'lights.

Other wise it's going to look silly.

haha, I was just thinking that.
But I'd figured if he was going to put as much thought into this performance as he did, I couldn't see why he wouldn't know to use the same colored light.
But I can't say that this sort of thing hasn't happened before.:p

Jan 26, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
I don't know if you were planning this already, but at the beginning you could emphasize that the light doesn't have power running to it by visually unplugging the the "cord' as you turn the light off with the foot pedal, that way it's apparently clear that your not just switching the bulb on.

Also, If possible, get a video of your performance, I'd love to see it.

Jan 16, 2008
I would also recommend using a kind of matte-finish glass jar to "hold" the light; I think glass jars look much more elegant compared with paper bags.
Besides, it'll look like fireflies in a jar, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

G'luck!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The brown bag version is the LED circuit board which would not fit into a glass. It just looks like the light trickles down and fills up the bag and stays lit. Looks ok if you ask me but david is correct that it isn't as elegant.

The glass routine is throwing and catching the light into the glass and utilizing your D'lite behind to make the light look like it is in the glass. Not sure how you would make it look like a bunch of lights inside the glass.

Hmmm...thinking. I'll let you know if I think of something.

Either way man...there is a bunch of us who want to see this routine once you perform it so hopefully someone can catch it for you and we can post it up.

Nov 11, 2009
well its not going to be anything special just about 2 minutes but at least Ill be doing something I will try and post a video of it

Jan 16, 2008
@deceptive

Your 2 minutes is only as magical and special as you make it for your audience. Magic can happen in 1 second, and for many years afterwards, whenever an audience remembers your show. Make those 2 minutes, 120 seconds count.
We trust you.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The lighting is pretty low, here, I can barely see that you're doing anything with your hands as you manipulate the D'Lites. It just kind of looks like a light appearing and moving around. Also, you might want to use a less bright bulb in the beginning. The contrast of the huge, bright light bulb and the tiny not-so-bright D'Lite doesn't really work as well. As a final note, I think it would be better to end the routine by putting the light back into the bulb.

The idea is sound, and I like it, but I think you haven't quite pulled it off.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You are on the right track, but as mentioned the ending should end with you putting the light back into the bulb, because that is where it originated. At the end I think the bulb should go out then as you take your bow.

When you first pluck the D'lite light from the bulb...your hand is nowhere near the light bulb. I would probably make sure it is touching the bulb or right behind it.

Other than that I thought it flowed fairly well. I enjoyed the music selection. I hope that is what you are using with the actual show.

Some of the moves seemed repetitious. You may want to add the catching of the light in a glass but it is your call.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results