Little bit of street magic by Motas.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Nothing unique, nothing original.
There was no street magic here,just card tricks.
I say this because telling the audience what to do and what is happening is so overplayed and lacks emotion in the first place.
All in all,everything happened too fast and comes off as skill to me as layman,not magic.

Slow everything down, let reactions build and have a bit more presentation.

NEVER use flourishing like you did with that ACR or any card effect. All it does is prove you have good hands and sleight of hand, this ruins the effect for the spectator. The smallest number of moves possible makes it so much more magical, after you did the pass do the double lift and then the effect. I guarantee you will get better reactions.

Moveless is magic, movement is silly sleight of hand.

Aug 20, 2008
Why everything has to be unique?

When you're performing, most people haven't even saw magician live before. They're impressed and it seems unique to them.

That's my opinion.

Actually there 2 sides of people on this thing. One side thinks that flourishing ruins magic, other side thinks that flourishes spice it up a little bit. I like to flourish doin' routines. That's my style :)
Try it. People love this.
Of course I don't do it in every trick. Because it would look stupid, if I would make card jump on top after doing a lot of crazy cuts. In these kind of tricks there shouldn't be any moves (except secret ones ;DD)

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
I personally don't condone flourishing in magic, but to each his own. Although when doing ACR, that routine very specifically should never include any type of flourishing what so ever! What makes ACR so powerful is because the selected card is rising to the top with no movement by the performer so flourishing defeats the whole purpose of ACR.

Jul 13, 2009
Few performances of me doing street Magic. Subtitles are in english. You need to turn on annonations to see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYFbLi9s3DM

Motas I loved it. Great job on putting your own spin on walkaround magic. The flourishing on the first effect kind of lost me but you certainly demonstrated that you got some skills with cards. Its nice to see other peoples style of closeup for strangers. Clap clap

Flourishing in magic is as useful as stabbing yourself in the leg. Offers no point other than to get attention, and it detracts from the effect.

What's more powerful to you, someone takes a card places it directly in the middle and then it appears on the top immediately. Or they take the card and flourish the hell out of it and then it appears. Which is stronger and will get more positive reactions?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
im not going to argue with any of these guys who think they know everything.

I say good job, keep working, and slow down.

Joker, I gave you an easy example of what would look better. A flourish for an acr like he did, or where you take their card place it right in the middle and snap their fingers and then it appears.

Flourishing and magic do not mix, all it does it prove that you are only using sleight of hand to accomplish your effects.

I'm not arrogant or anything I'm just never wrong. :p

Jul 13, 2009
It just depends really on your performance style and your character. He looks like he is having fun and it looks like he knows how to entertain more then two people. I get the vibe he is a playful trickster, friendly with his participants but if you get to comfortable he will fool the hell out of you.

I quite enjoyed it and clearly Motas has a great talent and he is not afraid to show it just because other magicians say you shouldn't do this and this.

Once again good job man and keep it up.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Joker, I gave you an easy example of what would look better. A flourish for an acr like he did, or where you take their card place it right in the middle and snap their fingers and then it appears.

Flourishing and magic do not mix, all it does it prove that you are only using sleight of hand to accomplish your effects.

I'm not arrogant or anything I'm just never wrong. :p

oh the flourishing argument is a whole different story.
i wasn't talking about that.

i think if you like to flourish then do it, dont let someone else tell what to do and when to do it.
be yourself.
I was talking about the overall performance.

Even the overall performance was just another kid showing tricks. What was there besides some quick moves and generic presentation? There are so many simple and easy things that we magicians look over when performing, simply because the effect is the best part of the performance.

Presentation should be the most important factor in any performance. Flourishing is part of the presentation so I mentioned it. He put forth unnecessary moves to accomplish an effect that just turned from magic into "just a trick."

Keep working Motas, you will understand how powerful your magic can be with something simple and direct that requires only one sleight.

To be honest I wish flourishing came with a disclaimer, "makes your magic seem dumb and useless."

May 14, 2009
France
I didn't like your video at all.

Your skills at flourishing are good but for me (and the spectators) you are not a magician but just a guy showing off.

The second trick was better eventhough the top change seemed kind of strange to me.

May 14, 2009
France
Rellab> I don't want to ruin his enthusiasm for fun and magic. I just want to give him some advices in order to make his magic become more... MAGIC ! :)

By the way it is my perception of magic and he is not forced to follow it but i wanted to say it.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I wish some of you would go back and count how many of the posts on this thread were actually positive.

give the kid a break, at least he's out performing live and not sitting at home in front of a Webcam like most of you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results