Live Performance 6!

Mar 27, 2010
I had the feeling that in any point you were going to drop the deck! Work in your card handling till' you feel comfortable with it

Sep 9, 2010
Wait, what? I guess it was because that's an old deck that i've been practicing XCM with, because I handle cards really good based on what other magicians have said... maybe not, either way, thanks for the help.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
1) If you're going to have the back signed...use red backed cards. It'll help a lot.

2)Work out a presentation, just a few lines, that play to this impossibility. The card goes into your pocket, you cut three times and there is a face down card (dun dun dun) it's the card that's supposed to be in your pocket...Only, I was confused because not much was said about this and the trick didn't seem to have a point. There was also no justification for putting their card into your pocket at the beginning...why? and why should we care to watch you perform if our card isn't in the deck?

3)Loosen your grip, it's about the only thing I saw wrong with the handling was the death hold you had on the little angels who ride bikes.

Overall it was an okay performance. I was able to watch the whole thing, which is saying something...I cut a lot of videos off half way through (sometimes sooner) if they make me cringe at any point. If you loosen your grip just a bit and work out a reason for everything that goes on then it could be an okay trick.

I do wonder though, if the trick is (essentially) changing a name on the back of the card, why cut packets and find it face down? Why even have other cards after it's been signed on both sides?

Sep 9, 2010
1) If you're going to have the back signed...use red backed cards. It'll help a lot.

2)Work out a presentation, just a few lines, that play to this impossibility. The card goes into your pocket, you cut three times and there is a face down card (dun dun dun) it's the card that's supposed to be in your pocket...Only, I was confused because not much was said about this and the trick didn't seem to have a point. There was also no justification for putting their card into your pocket at the beginning...why? and why should we care to watch you perform if our card isn't in the deck?

3)Loosen your grip, it's about the only thing I saw wrong with the handling was the death hold you had on the little angels who ride bikes.

Overall it was an okay performance. I was able to watch the whole thing, which is saying something...I cut a lot of videos off half way through (sometimes sooner) if they make me cringe at any point. If you loosen your grip just a bit and work out a reason for everything that goes on then it could be an okay trick.

I do wonder though, if the trick is (essentially) changing a name on the back of the card, why cut packets and find it face down? Why even have other cards after it's been signed on both sides?

2) Okay, I'll try, and You're right, I didn't build the first part up enough, but hey, always a work in progress, right?
3)ooh, you're right, it looked like i was trying to kill a demon or something! Weird thing was, I just got card college and I had read earlier that day where he said to hold the deck like you would hold a bird.

as for the last question, I don't know, ask Paul Harris. haha:)

so i watched the video w/out sound. (im in class) but i really had no clue what was going on and it didnt look too magical to me. i feel that the color of the deck didnt help much.
also the handling looked MAD stiff and very like confuzed.
but yea hold the deck softer cause you look like very clenched with the holding.
also work on getting your dls using a pushoff to get the break, because you bring your hands together to get the double off the deck, and it really takes too long, your hands should not be together for that long. something triggers the unnaturalness of the hands singnalling something wrong.
but i'll re watch the effect with some sound later and leave a comment on that.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
2) Okay, I'll try, and You're right, I didn't build the first part up enough, but hey, always a work in progress, right?

as for the last question, I don't know, ask Paul Harris. haha:)

2) It's a simple matter of saying more or saying something different to emphasize their card impossibly jumped from pocket to deck.

And I'll definitely ask him next time I see him :p

It is something you should ask yourself everytime you perform an effect though, 'What's going on, why do I do this? Why is this here?' Even if it's a proven effect that's been done by every magician ever you should ask 'Why?'
The effect, initially, is a transposition...and then an ink change? I don't know, a stronger effect (IMO) wouldn't have the cutting sequence...sign the front and back and then you place it in their hands...make a comment like 'wait...no...I was supposed to sign the back...' and go into some magical moment and then show it changed.

Sep 9, 2010
so i watched the video w/out sound. (im in class) but i really had no clue what was going on and it didnt look too magical to me. i feel that the color of the deck didnt help much.
also the handling looked MAD stiff and very like confuzed.
but yea hold the deck softer cause you look like very clenched with the holding.
also work on getting your dls using a pushoff to get the break, because you bring your hands together to get the double off the deck, and it really takes too long, your hands should not be together for that long. something triggers the unnaturalness of the hands singnalling something wrong.
but i'll re watch the effect with some sound later and leave a comment on that.
Thanks! you're right, I'll work on it.

Sep 9, 2010
2) It's a simple matter of saying more or saying something different to emphasize their card impossibly jumped from pocket to deck.

And I'll definitely ask him next time I see him :p

It is something you should ask yourself everytime you perform an effect though, 'What's going on, why do I do this? Why is this here?' Even if it's a proven effect that's been done by every magician ever you should ask 'Why?'
The effect, initially, is a transposition...and then an ink change? I don't know, a stronger effect (IMO) wouldn't have the cutting sequence...sign the front and back and then you place it in their hands...make a comment like 'wait...no...I was supposed to sign the back...' and go into some magical moment and then show it changed.

Thanks! was there anything good about the video?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Thanks! was there anything good about the video?

Why of course!

You were performing for a live audience (not the camera itself) Always a positive thing.

Your spectator (while only one) was well managed, your instructions were clear and you didn't stumble over everything you were saying (a little bit of confusion after card vanished, before taken out of your pocket, but that's somewhat purposeful)

While somewhat muddled in the middle, the effect ended well and I do believe she'll remember it the way you intend (impossible changing of a signature).

I still don't like the structure of the effect, maybe presented differently it would change my mind, but overall I'm not a fan. Nothing personal (as it isn't your effect anyway) just my thoughts.

Jul 14, 2008
This trick reminds me of Stickman Sam. Honestly, what I am happy about this video is the fact that you get out and perform people. Work on your smoothness and I know that it is a work of progress. I really hope that you can improve in the near time future.

Sep 9, 2010
Why of course!

You were performing for a live audience (not the camera itself) Always a positive thing.

Your spectator (while only one) was well managed, your instructions were clear and you didn't stumble over everything you were saying (a little bit of confusion after card vanished, before taken out of your pocket, but that's somewhat purposeful)

While somewhat muddled in the middle, the effect ended well and I do believe she'll remember it the way you intend (impossible changing of a signature).

I still don't like the structure of the effect, maybe presented differently it would change my mind, but overall I'm not a fan. Nothing personal (as it isn't your effect anyway) just my thoughts.
Thanks! I'll video my ACR sometime, It's one of the best effects I do, and it's sort of my own, because I structured it on my own, but it is quite similar to darly's.

Sep 9, 2010
This trick reminds me of Stickman Sam. Honestly, what I am happy about this video is the fact that you get out and perform people. Work on your smoothness and I know that it is a work of progress. I really hope that you can improve in the near time future.

Thanks, I hope so too! haha.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
First off nice job going out and actually performing. But don't expect a pat on the back every video. Your handling made me cringe. I don't think I saw a regular dealers grip in there. You confused me with your patter and speech. Please work on talking and handling before you start performing the tricks. Theres only getting better from here. Keeping on truckin'

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Good performance, you entertained your spectator and that is what matters. A couple of thoughts to make your performance better:

Check the position of the deck in mechanics grip against the diagrams in Card College. It looks like the deck is too far back in your hand... look at the thumb in the top diagram on page 15 of Card College Volume 1. Also, it looks like the deck is ON the palm of your hand... it should float over your palm. Look at the middle diagram on page 15 of Card College Volume 1. See that the tips of your fingers are on the side of the deck, not folded over the top. Using the grip in Card College makes it harder to get a "death grip" on the deck and looks cleaner and more open.

You seem to cover the deck with your right hand a lot. That makes the effect look less clean (at least from the camera angle). Try to use your fingers when you can. If you square the deck, do it and take your hand away, even if squaring is necessary for a sleight. I'll shoot you a PM about how to better handle the sleight in Step 3. There is an easier way to get into it and a way to make it seem cleaner.

You don't need to do a get ready prior to the first signature (it looks like you have one). You can hand them the deck to hold and sign. When you take it back push over the top couple of cards with your thumb as you blow on the signature. As you square the deck, do your get ready. When you turn the card over to have her sign the other side you again seem to have get ready. That isn't necessary. Give her the deck again to hold while she signs the other side of the card. Think about how fair that seems.

Now you need a justification for signing both sides of the card. My suggestion is to be playful. After they sign the back, ask them if they remember what their card is. They will answer "no" because they haven't seen the card. You can say, "oh, that's because you signed the back, here just sign the front of the card so you will remember." Think about how that interaction reinforces the illusion. You are telling them what they will remember.

Now, you need a justification for putting the card in your pocket. You could joke that this is your card to pocket routine and tell them to watch... as you put in your pocket. You want to do this as cleanly as possible. Hold the card with your thumb and index finger as you slide it in your pocket. You could even show both sides of the card (yes, I believe in the discrepancy fairy). Say something like, "Most people don't see their card go into my pocket, did you?" They will say yes. Ask, "are your sure?" Ask, what was your card? When they name it, pull it out so they can see the index and put it back in. The clean handling and the showing the card a second time builds the impossibility and also misdirects them into thinking you are doing something when you are taking it out and showing it to them.

I don't like the spelling part... there is no reason for it. (I know that is how Paul Harris wrote it but I don't like it - it has a better justification in the book because Paul recommends doing a spelling effect prior to doing this effect and having them spell your name before the final reveal - but I still don't like it). I also don’t like the final reveal because your signature came from nowhere.
I would do it as follows:

Take the deck, swing cut and spring the cards (or something similar). Ask the spectator if they saw their card jump out of your pocket. They will say no. Spread the cards showing a reversed card with their name on it. Ask if they saw their card. They will say "yes."

Tell them, "that's impossible, because you saw me put my card in your pocket." As they process this, do the flop change. Then ask “are you sure?”, turn the deck back and show them that “it was just an illusion.” Show the card in your pocket again.

At that point, I would sign the front and back of a card and stick it in the middle of the deck (PM me if you need the details on the handling). Pull the card out of your pocket, show them the front and back and put it in their hand. Spread through the deck to find the card you signed, put it in your hands. Have both of you press on the cards and then put her hand on top of your card and your hand on top of her card. Then do the reveal by turning over the card in her hand. That way you start with you both signing the front and back of the card and end up with the front and back of two cards having different signatures (sort of like a double Anniversary Waltz).

Sep 9, 2010
WOW! That was extremely helpful! I actually decided to start spreading the cards instead of cutting them earlier, in my opinion, it looks better.

as for the signature on the back, I'm currently brainstorming a few more ideas for that one. I like your handling of it, seems more logical. However, one of my friends is having a birthday soon, PERFECT. I change the other side to happy birthday!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results