Lloyd Barnes - The Con

Sep 7, 2008
The Con by Lloyd Barnes
http://www.disturbreality.com/thecon
DEMO

the20con20banner.jpg

The Official Spam:

A small object is vanished from the hands.... display your wallet, showing an empty license window... Visually, the object appears within the window of the wallet and tipped into the hands of the spectator.

- Beginner level

- Two minutes to make with every day house hold objects

- Instant reset - Any small object

- Perfect for walk-around

- Self contained

- Visual

From Lloyd Barnes comes The Con, a self contained visual miracle perfect for the walk around magician. Includes multiple handlings and bonus ideas.

On this 7.5 minute video, Lloyd will teach you how to make any small object appear in your wallet.

The Method:

The method is pretty creative. I immediately remembered an old prop that works in pretty much the same manner. However, I like how Lloyd applied the principle to a modern prop, and created a more organic illusion.

The Gimmick:

The gimmick only takes a few minutes to make, and you should be able to make it with objects a magician would normally have in their magic drawer. Otherwise, a trip to Walgreens will satisfy your needs and you will only need to spend a few bucks. The gimmick is applied to your wallet, and is invisible in normal conditions. This can stay in your wallet for a very long time without being ruined, and I can't imagine anyone needing to make a second gimmick for their wallet for months.

The Teaching:

Lloyd is a good teacher for the most part. He is unscripted and there are some odd pauses and "uh" moments. But, it's not distracting and Lloyd still gets the points across. I am almost positive Lloyd is chewing gum during some or all of the teaching segments, which I didn't like. Next time, I recommend spitting out the gum before you start teaching.

Examinable?

The coin can be borrowed but not marked by the spectator. Although not discussed in the video, the coin can be marked my the magician or the date can be read aloud. The coin can be examined at the beginning and at the end of the routine. The wallet, on the other hand, can not be examined before or after. I agree with Lloyd when he said they're not going to want to examine your wallet. They will be more interested in their coin that seemingly vanished and reappeared.

Difficulty:

This is so easy a caveman can do it. There are only basic sleights required. I can't imagine anyone having trouble learning this.

Production Quality:

This is filmed with an average video camera and a tripod. There was only one camera used, but there was an actual camera operator so the camera zoomed in and out at appropriate moments. The video is a little grainy but that did not distract from the teaching.

Instant Reset?

I don't see how this can have instant reset like it says in the advertisement, nor was it discussed in the video. You need to set up the wallet after you perform, and that can not be done in front of the spectators. The reset is quick, but not instant like it claims to be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall:

I really liked this. It takes an old method and brings it into the modern age. This can be carried on your person at all times so you are ready whenever you need it. I find magic ratings to be too subjective, so I will simply say I recommend this product. And it's cheap too - it's less than $6.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results