Long routine or single trick in street magic?

Oct 13, 2007
Hey guys,

I've got a question about your steeet magic. I'm too new in magic yet to perform on the street to people, but I'm just interested.
How long is your routine when you perform in front of strangers for free? Or do you even show a routine or just one hard-hitting trick?
Hmm...let me take a guess, it depends on the situation and the spectator :D
But maybe you can tell me some interesting things about that or the most common case...u know?

- muhazz

I would say, make it a narrative, what I mean by that is.

Create a routine, but it doesn't matter which order the magic effects have to be in. As long they link in a certain way, then thats great. But you may come across someone who is in a hurry and you just perform one effect.

Street magic most of the time is improvisation. Just have a practice, approach people with singlar magic effects, then try a routine. See what works best for you.

When performing street magic, or magic anywhere for that matter, I always have a routine ready. Now that doesn't mean I'll perform the whole routine, but I do have one ready in case I build an audience and need to keep on performing. Also I rarely end up following my routine exactly the way I have it planned. Depending on the audience I'll make adjustments as I continue performing. Switching tricks, changing the order, etc. I do think it is important to have the tricks you do perform flow together nicely. No awkward pauses or false starts. Confidence, control, and always leave them wanting more.

D

Deleted member 2755

It's really up to you. Its nice to have a routine handy. Here is a nice routine I like to do on people.:)

1. Card trick (forgot what its called.... its in one of Brad Christian's dvds)
deck is shuffled by you and/or spectator.... you spread the cards out over a table in random directions so it looks like a mess... tell them to point to a random card, then tell them to point to another random card, then one last, and to finish it you do one yourself... turn the cards over and its their card

then i go on about the fact i gave them the power of ESP and i say something like "Now I'm sure that sounds like a bunch of corny magician stuff you hear at a show or something. However, I'm going to prove that I gave you mental abilities" I then ask them to take a pen out

I get a loop on it

2. I tell them to wave their hands over it to make sure nothing is attached, I then move the pen with "my mind". It moves... people freak out.

By now I have people calling me a demon and just searching me everywhere to make sure I don't have any other cards or magnets. I then say that I am going to do the final test of mentalism. This will finally prove that they really do posses ESP.

3. Version 2 Stigmata

Done.

As long as you have a loop on, a deck of cards, and a business card, all 3 of these can be done on the spot completely impromptu. Of course if I'm doing this routine to someone in my school I would later tell them its obviously all an illusion. I don't want them to thing that I'm a demon sent from hell or something.:p Plus I don't like acting like I have supernatural powers because that breaks the magicians code, so change some of the wording in that routine I gave you. As long as you know how these tricks are done, you will realize how easy this routine is.

Welcome to magic. You will blow people away. My suggestion?

www.ellusionist.com Get Brad Christian's DVDs, Stigmata, Loops, factory sealed, and bullet. After you mastered these and have some card experience from Brad, come back here and get Trilogy. I don't own it, however, I heard it is very good at teaching card tricks and flourishes. You'll be known as a magician by your fellow friends in no time. I hope you enjoy yourself and remember to practice. Magic is not something you can learn in 1 second and perform right after. Go to Ellusionist's forums, I'm pretty sure there is a whole section on there just for beginners.

-Doug

Oct 21, 2007
It depends really. I will perform a long routine if there are enough people around, such as a group of people. If it's only 1 or 2 people, then I'll do tricks that don't take long at all.

Oct 11, 2007
What everyone has been saying is right, it does depend greatly on the situation. Usually when I go out whether for street magic or not, I load my pockets good. But especially for street magic I make sure I am prepared, I know where all my props are in which pockets, and make sure I can get to them easily. If some trick required preperation at the house beforehand, I make sure that is set up nicely and won't mess up.

Usually then when I am so prepared, I can do whatever approach I choose, and start with any number of my favorite tricks, which would be the here then there for me...as an attention getter. Then yes, depending on the number of people I might keep going, if more and more people start forming like a crowd then I am set because I can keep stuff going for awhile, I can keep it going for around 30 minutes to an hour with just a deck of cards if I felt like it, but with street magic its usually no more that 10 minutes with a spectator. I don't approach people who look rushed anyways, so I don't get interrupted or feel rushed myself.

A good friend of mine told me that he sets routines of 3. He has 3 tricks in a street routine which makes a perfect opening, middle, and closer. Then he has maybe 4 of these routines ready at any one time. He can then rotate them if more or the same people are staying for a bit. I think he said he would make one for kids as well, just incase its good to have that thought ready too if kids approach.

So just like the boyscouts, always be prepared. For ANYTHING. ANY effect you might want to do ...prepare for it if needed. Street magic is fun because you have to think on your feet and its always different. Have fun mate.

Sep 14, 2007
start with a simple yet very visual trick. from that point you'll know if they want more. give them your routine then close w/ your best trick. they wont forget you. most cases you will be asked for a buisness card.

and if it's a hottie girl, try to get the number :D

Oct 21, 2007
I have a girlfriend now so I can't get womens numbers :( base your routines on a few people and other routines on groups of people. If you run into 2 people and are able to perform for them, make it quick, amazing, and leave or you can show them a few amazing quick routines.

Sep 2, 2007
for me. I usually do: a no-setup 'here then there' (Well...almost none. less that usual) Monochrome skittles, and then Ambitious clip.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results