Long Routines

Mar 20, 2017
Is it just me, or are long routines hard to learn? Remembering all the different movements seems difficult. Are long routines more powerful than a short trick or are they the same?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You can do powerful routines that are short, but it's significantly harder to do so.

The problem is that to do a powerful routine you need to build the atmosphere and anticipation of your audience. If you are doing a short routine, you have less time to do that.

However, that being said, doing a long routine means you have more time to mess that up and lose the momentum you've built.

It's easy to remember the routine if you properly rehearse the act.

Mar 20, 2017
You can do powerful routines that are short, but it's significantly harder to do so.

The problem is that to do a powerful routine you need to build the atmosphere and anticipation of your audience. If you are doing a short routine, you have less time to do that.

However, that being said, doing a long routine means you have more time to mess that up and lose the momentum you've built.

It's easy to remember the routine if you properly rehearse the act.
I agree, what I meant was longer tricks, such as an oil and water or something like that where the trick in of itself is long.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Is it just me, or are long routines hard to learn? Remembering all the different movements seems difficult. Are long routines more powerful than a short trick or are they the same?

I think that longer routines have the potential to be much more powerful than a short trick because you have the ability to build a more substantial presentation. Multiple phases can be used to disguise a method and minor changes in the conditions of the effect can be used to increase the perception of impossibility. Often such routines build to a strong finale. Some longer routines (e.g. the first several effects in Bannon's Six.Impossible.Things) nicely tie together great effects to provde a series of short astonishments in the context of a longer routine.

Long routines are more difficult to learn, but not substantially. It is a matter of practicing them in segments. So if the routine has five parts, you first learn each part individually in sequence. Then you practice doing the first and second parts together. Then the second and third parts together. Then the third and fourth parts together. Then the fourth and fifth parts together. This trains your mind to remember the sequences in order. Then practice the whole routine together. You also can mentally practice the routine, going through what is happening in the effect in your mind - essentially committing the moves to memory. You also can write out the order of the moves or practice the routine while saying what you are doing.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
As Christopher has mentioned....if you do not do a good job on a long routine you will lose momentum and your audience will have less "buy" in on your next effect.

I always try to "hook" my audience whether it be on stage or at a table in the first 30 seconds. That is about the length of time they will decide if they are going to watch you and give you the time of day or if they are going to sip their drink and talk to their friend next to them about something else.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This response has been surprisingly difficult to put together. Too many tangents.

You gave the example of Oil & Water. The issue with this plot isn't that it's inherently longer - it's that it's inherently repetitive, and repetition is boring. It's also completely illogical and nonsensical - what's the purpose of the cards separating? Why is it happening? A few folks have developed decent routines for this plot, but in general it's a magician's thing. They do it because they can do it, and that's good enough.

Personally my routines are not short in general. Any show I do, my average routine is 5 minutes long. My showcase routine is 7-10 minutes long. I have trouble creating everything I need in less than 5 minutes, personally.

Jul 13, 2014
Long routines are generally more powerful. But they typically need to be set up with short ones as without serious interest, they're just really boring.

Nov 12, 2016
I agree with everything said above, however, the audience you are performing for also comes into play. If your audience is focused and willing to stay focused and appreciate a longer performance, perfect! However some individuals are slightly more impatient and less willing to concentrate through a lengthy performance, in this case quick, visual eye candy usually works best.

Nov 9, 2016
Southend-On-Sea
I would go with a long routine, but the length it goes on for would be in the hands of the audience.

If I'm about 5 minutes in a set and they don't seem that interested, I change up my routine with either going straight to the finisher (depending on the environment or if someone in an audience has seen me before), or to leave them with a bet that appears they get something out of it involving my cards so they don't go to waste. The showcase bit for me is kind of a problem, as I'm only just starting to perform in front of friends, but either direction has worked for me just because of crowd control.

Hello, by the way. Been here a while but never been on the forums. It's a pleasure to be here, and I hope to get involved as often as I can.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results