Looking At Some New Magic

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I have been looking at new magic for a few shows that people have requested that I do. I recently got some rope, and I'm trying to learn rope magic out of a book I have, but it is hard to do, knowing that Fiber Optics is out there...I almost don't want to do any other rope magic besides Fiber Optics first lol.

I also bought some huge 2 1/2" sponge balls so that they are easier to see.

I am looking at getting one more thing to make my show. My options are SMOKE, Fiber Optics, or Hardcore by Mr. Sankey.

I know most of you are going to say SMOKE, but it's hard because that is the most expensive. Fiber Optics is SWEET, but I'm not sure how often I will do rope magic (I don't usually perform for audiences like this, I do close up). Hardcore is...well...Hardcore lol. I have always LOVED Sankey's stuff, and this DVD looks sick, I just don't know if I can make some of this stuff play well for a bigger audience, and also, it doesn't ship out until I think the 20th?

I'm stuck in a bind, and don't know what to get. What do you guys think?

Dec 26, 2009
Personally I would buy Hardcore. Let me just say this, I do not like most of Sankeys material. It is mostly all re-hashed material he came up with 15-20 years ago and now, with the internet, Sankey has a bigger market to sell to. Hardcore on the otherhand looks like the type of magic that I am wanting to perform (building a bar and restaurant routine). It all looks 100% original and not re-hashed. The fact that it comes with all of the gimmicks is a huge plus as well.

So, being the first vote I go for Hardcore.

P.S. Why does the demo vid say its available October 1st?

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
If I had to choose from the three choices, I would go with Hardcore. My way of thinking is pretty much the same as shindrichs... Sankey's stuff is good, no doubt. But his newer products are more like creativity boosters. I would recommend his older older DVDs if you want to get Sankey material.

But I don't really know how to help you.
What kind of shows are you doing? Do they consist of general family groups (considering ropes and spongeballs)? What kind of magic are you looking for?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Very VISUAL magic! One set will be for a christian youth group, from 9th grade to 12th grade. I will be on a stage and it will be on a wednesday night with upwards of 100 kids but no more that about 200.

The other will be way smaller (in a sense). It will be performed live for some high schoolers in a studio, but it will be video taped, and played for the entire high school. I'm not too sure how the studio will be set up though.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have been looking at new magic for a few shows that people have requested that I do. I recently got some rope, and I'm trying to learn rope magic out of a book I have, but it is hard to do, knowing that Fiber Optics is out there...I almost don't want to do any other rope magic besides Fiber Optics first lol.

I also bought some huge 2 1/2" sponge balls so that they are easier to see.

I am looking at getting one more thing to make my show. My options are SMOKE, Fiber Optics, or Hardcore by Mr. Sankey.

I know most of you are going to say SMOKE, but it's hard because that is the most expensive. Fiber Optics is SWEET, but I'm not sure how often I will do rope magic (I don't usually perform for audiences like this, I do close up). Hardcore is...well...Hardcore lol. I have always LOVED Sankey's stuff, and this DVD looks sick, I just don't know if I can make some of this stuff play well for a bigger audience, and also, it doesn't ship out until I think the 20th?

I'm stuck in a bind, and don't know what to get. What do you guys think?

Ok, this is just what comes across as logical to me. You seem to be performing for a bigger audience than you're used to. In that case, I'd strike Smoke. It doesn't sound like you'll get the most out of it.

You're not sure about timing on Hardcore (the shipping), and you're unsure about how it plays for bigger audiences.

You're not sure how much use you'll get out of Fiber Optics.

So each has its flaws and strengths. I'd strike Smoke immediately. I'd say Fiber Optics personally. So you're not sure whether you'll perform it later. You know that you WILL perform it now. Since you're buying for this express purpose, I say go with what will best suit that purpose, that you're sure about. You can certainly perform rope close up if you want to.

Hardcore is a close second, but does end up second because of uncertainty. I would lean more towards this if you could get professional opinions about how well it plays in larger audiences, from people who have put their material to use on stage. I have no idea whether shindrichs has done so (btw - not at all a knock on you mate); if he has, I'd take his advice, if not, I'd go for safety.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks man, I get what you are saying!

Although I am not sure how some of the stuff on Hardcore will play for a bigger audience like that, I did notice that it said that Sankey also teaches stand up routines on it.

The time frame isn't that big of an issue...the people just invited me to do magic...there is no set date...it is just basically when I tell them I am ready.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Stand up isn't the same as stage. Sankey's Hardcore won't work on stage.

Out of what you listed, Fiber Optics is the only stage effect. Its a great effect, however you can develop a routine that is as good from Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. For what you are doing, you can come up with some great patter related to your audience for that effect.

For stage you need bigger effects. Think about getting some linking rings or other stage props.

Also, you can do a lot with a deck of Jumbo Cards and a couple of gaffs (double back, blank face). You can even do an ambitious card routine with Jumbos. It is pretty easy to use Jumbos make your own Invisible Deck.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I know one thing I am going to use...I found it in a magic book I bought.

It is a poster board folded in half with a question mark on one side. force a card. tell them you predicted their card and put it on the board. turn it around and show 52 cards on the other side of the board. they laugh, but when you unfold it, it is a huge card that matches the card they chose!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I think I will go re-buy Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, and come up with a rope routine, and also buy Sankey's Hardcore DVD. That will cost about as much as Smoke alone, and the Sankey stuff should work for the studio show

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think I will go re-buy Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, and come up with a rope routine, and also buy Sankey's Hardcore DVD. That will cost about as much as Smoke alone, and the Sankey stuff should work for the studio show

You could do a whole stage show from Mark Wilson's book. The section on sponge balls is really good (except for the pointing to the hand that is "supposed" to have the sponge ball). He also has a great Bill in Lemon effect that works well for stage.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results