Looking for a book...

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I am looking for a book that relates to magic but not in the sense that I learn effects from it. I want something that tells of a lifestyle, story about magic, perhaps magic theory or understanding... but certainly not a book that teaches effects or sleights.

Any ideas?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
'Houdini on magic' is an excellent read. You will find anecdotes, little stories, bits of theory, advice, tips, and explanations of some wonderful illusions and escapology techniques as well as a bit of history.

CL

I enjoyed The Somnambulist, a novel about a magician who freelances as a private investigator in Victorian times. His assistant (whose name gives the book its title) may or may not be supernatural.

There's not a ton of magic per se, but it was cool to find our trade in pop-fiction.

For more fraternity-directed books that you can readily find - Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown is excellent, Designing Miracles and Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz are worth reading, Shattering Illusions by Jamy Ian Swiss, Fitzkee's books (I've read The Trick Brain, and plan to continue with the others).

Also, look to magicians who've peppered their books with theory, like Tommy Wonder or Rene Levand or John Carney. You can learn a lot by seeing theory in application from these greats.

Pj

Aug 31, 2007
Designing Miracles and Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz are good, but can be a bit dry reading.

Quote from Strong Magic on Timing.

"Its like having sex with a beautiful women and your friend calls. It may be good news but its bad timing"

-Sypris giveth! and Sypris taketh away!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results