Looking for some good books.

Nov 4, 2008
hey guys im look for some new good books for the holidays i do mostly card magic sleights not big on gimmicks but ill use them every once in a while and i do a lot of flourishing but i already have the encyclopedia i am in intermediate and pretty advanced so don't say like royal road because Ive had that for a while so please give me some suggestions
thanks
Spencer

Nov 30, 2008
Magic Books

I second "The Card Magic of Larry Jennings". My jaw dropped the first time I read it. I would also recommend "The Vernon Touch". It is a collection of Dai Vernon's Genii magazine articles, it is really fun to read and full of priceless advice and in it he list a number of books he thought we should all read. It's kind of funny, a lot of teenage guys don't even realize that if it weren't for Dai Vernon, they probably wouldn't even be doing card magic. He influenced and inspired so many people that we've learned from. We are the wake caused by his life long passion for magic.

Sep 30, 2008
Complete works of Derek Dingle by Kaufman has some excellent coin and card routines. It's taught very well, but some of the stuff is knuckle busting difficult. Some easy stuff too though. Some routines in there fry magicians, while others are great for entertaining a lay audience.

Classic magic is a good book but Mike Maxwell's teaching is just terrible. Many routines don't really work very well and he describes the sleights poorly. Also, Jennings was not willing to publish his best handlings of the routines at the time of the creation of Classic Magic, so the handlings of the effects published there have just impractical mechanics. It isn't worth it. Buy Jennings '67 and the new upcoming Kaufman and company "Mr. Jennings takes it Easy" which will be available early
2009. Jennings '67 describes 6 invisible palm routines, each unique. It also describes open travellers much better than classic magic, which alone is worth the price of the book. There are many other great routines in '67 and the upcoming "easy" book.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Derek Dingle's book has been criticised for being created as magician foolers. No judgment, I just thought it was worth mentioning. I have also heard it said that Jennings '67 is far better than The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. As far as other suggestions go..

Brass Knuckles
Inner Card Trilogy
Mnemonica
Carneycopia
Drawing Room Deceptions

Sep 2, 2007
London
For some reason, no-one ever seems to mention Ken Krenzel's stuff in these kind of threads, but I think he's got superb material. I'd recommend you go for The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results