Looking for Specific Books

Apr 15, 2010
Hello everyone,

I just came across the video about Apollo Robbins that Theory11 news reported about and he talks about misdirection and how it works for him. I got interested and I'm wondering if anyone knows any specific books about magic on misdirection, mainly the psychology or theory around it. So not a how-to magic book, but more of a informative one. Specific book titles or authors would be very helpful!

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
Hello everyone,

I just came across the video about Apollo Robbins that Theory11 news reported about and he talks about misdirection and how it works for him. I got interested and I'm wondering if anyone knows any specific books about magic on misdirection, mainly the psychology or theory around it. So not a how-to magic book, but more of a informative one. Specific book titles or authors would be very helpful!

The Fitzkee Trilogy by Dariel Fitzkee is a great read. The Actual titles are:

Magic By Misdirection
The Trick Brain
Showmanship for Magicians

Oct 9, 2010
Denver, CO
Here are some more that I've come across:
Five Points in Magic - Juan Tamariz
Strong Magic and Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz
Magic in Theory: An Introduction to the theoretical and psychological elements of conjuring by Peter Lamont & Richard Wiseman. There is a 12+ page reference list of books and articles on the psychology of magic in this book which would probably be a great place to look. I also found this book on amazon for around $13.
I also just bought the book Sleights of Mind - What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about our Everyday Deceptions by Stephen L Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde which I haven't read yet but looks like a very scientific look at how our brains are fooled by magic. Not directly magic related but another great book is Influence - The Psychology of Persuasion. Hope that's a good start for ya!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Magic in Theory: An Introduction to the theoretical and psychological elements of conjuring by Peter Lamont & Richard Wiseman. There is a 12+ page reference list of books and articles on the psychology of magic in this book which would probably be a great place to look. I also found this book on amazon for around $13.

Wiseman is great. He gave a lecture on misdirection at EMC. I love THIS color changing deck video.

Also check out Slydini's work. There are some great videos of his performances on the New York Times blog courtesy of Dick Cavett:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/conjuring-slydini/

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/conjuring-slydini-part-2/

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results