Lying Eyes?

So im sitting here in computer class playing with some arrcos, and im thinking to myself, why do we have to lie about “magic”? I mean really, why cant we believe in the lie ourselves? That would make it truth, wouldn’t it? Derren Brown stated by using NLP techniques, you can tell if someone is lying, correct? But what if you whole heartdly believed in your “deception”? That would make the deception never there in the first place. Kind of a scary thought. You could get away with any deception, as long as you believed in it enough.
Criss angel is a prime example. Magicians depise his ruining of magic, but layman love him, because, well, they can honestly believe his deception, his trick. And because he believes in his trick, that is what made him the salesman of deception. Not an illusionist, but a salesman.
We, as artists, want the layman to believe in the deception, the trick, right? So, hide those lyin eyes.

This is wholeheartedly only a theory, thoughts and comments are welcome.

peace.
-andy.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You don't necessarily need NLP to tell someone is lying. You can probably make them lie using NLP but I don't know for sure. You can use body language and tone of voice to tell whether someone is lying.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Derren Brown doesn't use NLP, he might have a bit of knowledge on it and know some psychology, but he mainly uses normal mentalisim techniques and just makes it look like NLP or something else. So people won't go around calling him a psychic or a fraud.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Derren Brown doesn't use NLP, he might have a bit of knowledge on it and know some psychology, but he mainly uses normal mentalisim techniques and just makes it look like NLP or something else. So people won't go around calling him a psychic or a fraud.

Have you read Pure Effect? In there he goes over his technique for telling whether someone's lying and it's pure, classic NLP. Admittedly, most of his stuff is merely presented to look like that, but he does occasionally use that technique.

Sep 1, 2007
You can probably make them lie using NLP but I don't know for sure.

You can't.

NLP is a hokey pastiche of body language and vocal tone analysis mixed with a few conditioning exercises and a handful of linguistic principles that magicians have been using for eons.

Have you read Pure Effect? In there he goes over his technique for telling whether someone's lying and it's pure, classic NLP. Admittedly, most of his stuff is merely presented to look like that, but he does occasionally use that technique.

He's weaving another layer of deception.

Sep 2, 2007
London
You can't.

NLP is a hokey pastiche of body language and vocal tone analysis mixed with a few conditioning exercises and a handful of linguistic principles that magicians have been using for eons.

He's weaving another layer of deception.

Really? I will admit that the stuff taught as "NLP" is a combination of common sense, classic hypnosis and bull excrement but (as far as I'm aware), eye-accessing cues were first codified by Richard Bandler and John Grinder, and therefore part of NLP. It's these cues that form the majority (but not all) of Mr Brown's honesty-gauging routine. There are other techniques thrown in, but that's the essence of it.

Although it's very easy to write off NLP because of it's messianic excesses, in the early literature there is some good stuff, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt but not completely thrown out.

Sep 1, 2007
Although it's very easy to write off NLP because of it's messianic excesses, in the early literature there is some good stuff, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt but not completely thrown out.

I've read up on the subject. I just find there are topics infinitely more useful to me and worthy of my time.

Dec 10, 2007
this post reminds me of religion... no matter how ridiculous things may seem (walking on water, talking snakes, earth is only 6,000 years old) as long as the person telling you this stuff really believes in it (parents, priests, rabbis, etc.) it seems like a possibility.

Victor Cruz

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The reason Derren Brown says he uses psychology and NLP is so people don't run up to him and pretty much start calling him a fraud and a phony. Like all those fake mind readers and psychics. Plus it's more beleivable that a guy could use psychology to get you to do what he wants, rather than him going on about having some supernatural powers.

Jan 18, 2009
NLP is one of the few things I have become obsessed with, second to hypnosis. Steerpike gave a basic description of what it is, and from my understanding Derren Brown only uses a touch of NLP. I do not know the name of it but it is almost like hypnosis in a way, the difference is that he uses normal words and such.

If I remember what it is called I will post it, but from what I have seen which is about everything possible from Derren then I understand some of the techniques. Also, did anybody watch Lie To Me tonight? Very cool show on how the body reacts to lies and such, and the first episode was very cool.

NLP is one of the few things I have become obsessed with, second to hypnosis. Steerpike gave a basic description of what it is, and from my understanding Derren Brown only uses a touch of NLP. I do not know the name of it but it is almost like hypnosis in a way, the difference is that he uses normal words and such.

If I remember what it is called I will post it, but from what I have seen which is about everything possible from Derren then I understand some of the techniques. Also, did anybody watch Lie To Me tonight? Very cool show on how the body reacts to lies and such, and the first episode was very cool.

that show is amzing and tim roth is a fantastic actor. but i wonder if any of those techniques are real? research time.....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results