Mage Touch - I am here to answer your questions

Nov 5, 2007
Hey everyone. I wanted to have a place where you could ask questions about Mage touch and get answers. Well, I am here, so ask away. I hope I can help and am excited about Tim Wisseman and my new release. Watch it here
and know I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.:D -Matt Sconce
(Click "watch in high quality" to the lower right of the video display)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZ1ot8wFtU

Or see it in HQ here:
http://www.vimeo.com/2444330

Apr 27, 2008
I saw the video on vimeo and I am not at all impressed. I posted something on E that is pretty harsh about this whole effect.

I think that there are many other effects worth your money than this, but I won't name them here. I love power word: fall and everybody I perform it for loves it but this just looks kinda stupid. The card box just screams out gimmicked and even if they are impressed I know people that would instantly want to check out the box right after the trick.

Sorry Matt but this is just one of those effects that looks like an absolute snoozer. Unless there are major improvements then I am passing for sure.

Nov 5, 2007
I saw the video on vimeo and I am not at all impressed. I posted something on E that is pretty harsh about this whole effect.

I think that there are many other effects worth your money than this, but I won't name them here. I love power word: fall and everybody I perform it for loves it but this just looks kinda stupid. The card box just screams out gimmicked and even if they are impressed I know people that would instantly want to check out the box right after the trick.

Sorry Matt but this is just one of those effects that looks like an absolute snoozer. Unless there are major improvements then I am passing for sure.

Eeek, well to each his own I guess. :p I love performing this, and agree, you have to know where to insert it into a routine, but I think it deserves much more credit than you are giving it. You can put the device in anything, and move thing in someone's hand with Zero light issues, sound issues, vibration issues, etc, with your hands clean from a distance and through solid objects.

Like many gimmicks, the presentation is the reason they do not seem out of place. I perform Mage Touch after doing LIT or another card routine. Sometimes I do it as a closer to a PK routine. With a simple deck switch, or by moving into the effect from another card routine, the audience feels they have already seen the deck. It is all about presentation and audience management, but snoozer? I disagree, but understand not everyone will feel the same.

If you wonder why I am excited about this, let me re-emphasize the following again: You can put the device in anything that you can fit it in, and move objects in someone's hand with Zero light issues, sound issues, vibration issues, etc, with your hands clean from a great distance and through solid objects. :eek: That is something I have wanted to do for a long time and now I can.:D

Have fun with Power Word: Fall! I am glad you are enjoying it.:)
-Matt Sconce

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

You as a performer have to remove all doubt.
Make it seem as if it was just by accident.
I have had to deal with some super heavy gimmicked things and ive learned that you just have to make it natural.
Like for the one with the coin and the card box on the womans hand.
Bring out the quarter and place it on her hand.
But then say something like "oh wait..well we need a more flat surface.."
Look around blah bah and then say "you know lets just use the card box i guess.."
(note that you have previously done a card effect)
And then just go into the performance.
Simple.

Nov 5, 2007
You as a performer have to remove all doubt.
Make it seem as if it was just by accident.
I have had to deal with some super heavy gimmicked things and ive learned that you just have to make it natural.
Like for the one with the coin and the card box on the womans hand.
Bring out the quarter and place it on her hand.
But then say something like "oh wait..well we need a more flat surface.."
Look around blah bah and then say "you know lets just use the card box i guess.."
(note that you have previously done a card effect)
And then just go into the performance.
Simple.

That is absolutely 100% correct. That is the way you can use Mage Touch. It makes the box an afterthought and the spectator forgets it. It is all about presentation. Remember, that the deck weighs the same as a regular deck, so if you have been using cards before, it will slide invisibly into the routine. -Matt

Nov 5, 2007
Someone just asked what comes in the card deck. Here is the secret answer....

Magic...pure goodness, and small wizard.

You can also order a version that comes with a miniature live Harry Potter inside, but that one is obvious due to the lightning scar on the box itself. hehe:D -Matt Sconce

Apr 27, 2008
I like the idea about the hand thing but there are some more factors to think about. The table idea, that thought is gone there since there is imo no reason to have a card box there. I understand that the whole no vibrations, etc. is a brilliant idea but just the way the effect must take place is just to fishy for me and wierd for any of my spectators.

My main point is that while I do alot of mentalism including some PK stuff there are other gimmicks out there that achieve a similar effect without the price tag or without the suspicious card box, book, or w/e.

I hope people who buy it and use it really enjoy it but I have a product that is a little more expensive but does the same thing but on a wider base and without anything fishy.

Nov 5, 2007
I like the idea about the hand thing but there are some more factors to think about. The table idea, that thought is gone there since there is imo no reason to have a card box there. I understand that the whole no vibrations, etc. is a brilliant idea but just the way the effect must take place is just to fishy for me and wierd for any of my spectators.

My main point is that while I do alot of mentalism including some PK stuff there are other gimmicks out there that achieve a similar effect without the price tag or without the suspicious card box, book, or w/e.

I hope people who buy it and use it really enjoy it but I have a product that is a little more expensive but does the same thing but on a wider base and without anything fishy.

No Problem Coastaldude!:) Some people will love it and be able to use it, while others will not want it. That is just the way it goes. :) I am one who loves it hence the fact Tim and I created it. It works with my presentations, and I am sure others will feel the same and be able to get a ton out of it. Best wishes! :) -Matt Sconce

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
I think it looks pretty cool, to say something shouldn't be performed because it looks strange or fishy is saying magic shouldn't be performed period. A rising deck seems fishy, but it works like a charm. You have to get out of your magician thinking process and step back. It may seem fishy to you or I, but will it to the spectator? Has the spectator had training or experience with cards or card gimmicks? I hardly doubt it. Not to mention, how many spectators actually ask to examine something? I've been doing magic 5 days a week for a cafe as the house magician for going on 7 years and I hardly EVER, EVER am asked to have something examined, and if I do get that rare coincidence it's very easy to gracefully decline, no harm done. I think too many magicians hand things out at the end to begin with. Don't hand something out unless it's asked for, in the specs minds it clean regardless. Look at the reactions in the video coastal dude, It doesn't matter if you or I have an idea how it's done, the only thing that matters is that the spec. is entertained. They aren't going to figure out the secret. I think the stealth pen is pretty obvious as far as the method goes, but no one's ever called me on it or figured it out. I just think saying it's fishy is a narrow minded way of thinking about an effect, no offense. Every trick is fishy in a way, the spec knows there's a secret to every effect, but will they figure that secret out? No. Just my opinion.

Zack

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
To be honest magi you can say w/e I won't be offended at all. I never get asked to examine anything either but with something like this it really does scream gimmick.

You put a coin on the table and then put a card box under the coin, why? There isn't much of a point, and to be honest there are better products out there like I said. I hope Mage Touch does good and people enjoy it but I have used gimmicks that achieve a similar effect and it doesn't seem like hiding it in a book or a card case is very conventional to other methods out there. The point I try to make is that there should be a different way to hide it that they show, this is just for advertising purposes so it looks cleaner.

Anyways I will enjoy my gimmick and everybody can enjoy theirs. Good Luck

Jan 13, 2008
To be honest magi you can say w/e I won't be offended at all. I never get asked to examine anything either but with something like this it really does scream gimmick.

You put a coin on the table and then put a card box under the coin, why? There isn't much of a point, and to be honest there are better products out there like I said. I hope Mage Touch does good and people enjoy it but I have used gimmicks that achieve a similar effect and it doesn't seem like hiding it in a book or a card case is very conventional to other methods out there. The point I try to make is that there should be a different way to hide it that they show, this is just for advertising purposes so it looks cleaner.

Anyways I will enjoy my gimmick and everybody can enjoy theirs. Good Luck
One that comes to mind is the M5. The only thing that I can see Mage Touch having over the M5 is the ability to be far away...but at the price of introducing the card box (or whatever you happen to use).

It seems like a decent replacement for the M5 if you don't already have an M5...but in the end you'll be performing similar tricks, from a greater distance (with a card box in play). I say "if you don't already have an M5" because, let's be honest, if you can make the box seem less fishy than I can only assume you make your close-up presence less fishy while using the M5.

Overall it seems pretty neat, obviously very creative and I hope you do well with it. However, owning an M5 and achieving similar effects with great reactions means I won't be picking this one up. Perhaps those out there who don't own an M5 and have lots of money to spare will pick it up, though. I wish you the best with it! :)

PS. I've finally made the decision to pick up Power Word: Fall. I've been on the fence for a while (I was hesitant because I don't normally perform anything similar to that effect, or if I do I just use IT or loops), but I've heard so many good things that I just have to pick it up and see what all the fuss is about, heh. :)

Nov 5, 2007
The main effect and power of Mage Touch is to move things at will in "In a Spectator's Hand" from a distance, another room, or through solid objects.

Their are many reasons to use the box. The one I use has been mentioned earlier. I place a coin in the spectator's hand and then, "notice their hand is not flat enough" I then suggest we put something flat in their hand. I use the card box that in their mind, "has been in view the whole time and holds the cards they have previously seen used" for the flat surface. Works like a charm.

I have not seen a gimmick out there that allows someone to move items in a spectator's hands in a controllable manner, from a distance, or another room, that is silent and does not use vibrations. Am I missing a gimmick that already exists? Isn't this a new ability?

Of course people can move things in someone's hands with loops or an M5, but you have to be close to the person. You could use IT but then you have lighting issues, and still are limited to lighter objects, cannot do this through solid objects or from another room.

Since we are not supernatural, to move something in a spectator's hand with the above requirements will either need something gimmicked the item rests on, or a gimmicked item itself. Mage Touch strives to give a performer the ability to move an object in a way that a spectator has not seen before, and it does it extremely well. If you would rather stick to the previously mentioned methods, go for it. I use them all the time. I am a loops and M5 junkie. :p Mage Touch was developed so people could have the option of a distance PK effect that gives the performer a lot of freedom. I enjoy it, and know others will as well. It is just a fun powerful, smooth operating device. I carry it everywhere with me and amaze with it quite frequently. It is a great impromptu miracle and floors laymen.:D -Matt Sconce

Sep 19, 2007
Australia
but i still don't like tha fact that the spectators are actually holding the gimmick themselves. I can already tell that i wont get away with performing this, cuz all the people i perform to, WILL go ahead and inspect everything they possibly can, let alone the stuff which is currently in their hands.
Even if they believe it's really a deck of cards, they'd still think you inserted something between the cards that made this effect possible.
And $300 on an effect that doesnt end clean at all..... well... please try to convince me otherwise Matt.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I think the effect looks cool, the price tag isn't THAT high really, I've spent £150 on much worse things than I imagine this to be :p

It really depends on your audience control and the relationship you build with your spectator's - I don't think I'd have a problem performing this at all really, Anyone that knows my coin bend Altered know's that you really CAN get away with putting gimmicks right in people's hands.

A quick Jermay quote from his latest DVD "If you put something right out there, they're never going to suspect it"

There's nothing wrong with being bold in methodology and I see this gimmick as being much safer than alot of methodology in mentalism - look how much we rely on psyche and indefinites, the amount of guesses we make during a reading!

It looks like a great product Matt and I'm sure I'll be picking one up at some point, Great work on your short films btw - Saw some the other day!

Respec.

D.

Nov 5, 2007
but i still don't like tha fact that the spectators are actually holding the gimmick themselves. I can already tell that i wont get away with performing this, cuz all the people i perform to, WILL go ahead and inspect everything they possibly can, let alone the stuff which is currently in their hands.
Even if they believe it's really a deck of cards, they'd still think you inserted something between the cards that made this effect possible.
And $300 on an effect that doesnt end clean at all..... well... please try to convince me otherwise Matt.

DeeChristopher answered this wonderfully.

I think the effect looks cool, the price tag isn't THAT high really, I've spent £150 on much worse things than I imagine this to be :p

It really depends on your audience control and the relationship you build with your spectator's - I don't think I'd have a problem performing this at all really, Anyone that knows my coin bend Altered know's that you really CAN get away with putting gimmicks right in people's hands.

A quick Jermay quote from his latest DVD "If you put something right out there, they're never going to suspect it"

There's nothing wrong with being bold in methodology and I see this gimmick as being much safer than alot of methodology in mentalism - look how much we rely on psyche and indefinites, the amount of guesses we make during a reading!

It looks like a great product Matt and I'm sure I'll be picking one up at some point, Great work on your short films btw - Saw some the other day!

Respec.

D.

If you have moved deep into the magic industry and have bought some high end effects. Losander's table (1000 and up) Quantum bender (500), Telekinesis Deck (500), etc. You know 300 is not unreasonable for a tech piece. It is actually pretty standard.

I operate quite boldly when I perform. I have NEVER had someone discover the Mage Touch device. If you feel uncomfortable putting the device in a spectator's hand, come up with another mind blowing solution. Stack several books up and put the card deck, or Mage touch in a book on the top (Say you need to make a tower on which to place the object for some reason or another...whatever fits your style. Set a match or other object on top and you and your spectators walk behind a closed glass door. As they watch, you breathe against the glass, and the match begins to move. You walk back into the room, pocket the Mage touch, or set the mage touch book back on the shelf, and (either switch the match so they can inspect it, or just pocket it and end clean).

You can do whatever you want with this device. The possibilities are really only limited by your imagination. :) -Matt Sconce

Nov 5, 2007
Hey guys a new video is now viewable with 4 performances of Mage touch. The two in the city are transitioning from a card trick, so the spectator feels they have seen the innards of the card deck, and the two indoors are using it as the stand-alone trick, and show how I get into it without them examining the box.
(Click "Watch in High Quality" to the lower right of the video to see it clearly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlE-QaKYB4Q

If you have not yet seen the demo you can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TZ1ot8wFtU

Several units are going out today so I hope we can get some reviews soon.
-Matt Sconce

Nov 5, 2007
Mage Touch used with Tagged

Mage Touch-used with Tagged

Last night, at our Fresno Magic Club meeting, I used Mage Touch in an effect with Tagged.

I had the spectator choose a card, then place it face down in their right hand. I got a coin from my pocket and set the card deck in their hand over the top of the card to block it from my view, and provide a flat surface for the coin to rest on. I told them I would send magic into their body to discover the card and if it succeeded, the coin would react as it was the gateway.

I then focused and swiftly slid the coin across the deck. I casually picked up the coin and deck and told them the magic infusion was done. I asked how amazing it would be if the magic had written the card on their body. The spectator thought it would be crazy. I had them check their arm and there on their arm was the 7 of diamonds.

They were amazed, but then came the kicker. The magic had been too powerful. I pointed to different people in the room and one by one, they looked at their arms and saw they had the 7 of diamonds written their too. It was a great feeling to add Mage Touch to Rich Ferguson's tagged. It went over quite well!

-Matt Sconce

Apr 27, 2008
The gimmick I use is called Entity by Peter Loughran, and while it is really the only thing I like from him it's so powerful. No it cannot be done in the spectaors hand but you dont need anything to place except a table. With entity you can also use heavier objects like a book, candles with holders, wine glass, etc.

I don't mean this in any bad way but for 100 bucks extra I think I prefer that effect personally. With 300 I am only really going to do it in their hands and the book thing isn't as convenient since I dont want to carry around more than two books. I realize the vibrations thing is very neat and wont be detected but also spectators most likely won't be piecing that in their head. While this is very cool and neat i just would prefer the table one instead. Again Good luck and I am using Power word fall in my talent show, going to knock over objects from about 10 feet away. Swweeeettt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results