Magic as a Hobby

Aug 10, 2009
Let me start by telling you guys a little bit about myself. I love magic. I read extensively on it, and dedicate a sufficient amount of my time daily to practice. However, magic is more of a hobby for me. I perform often for people, but I am not aiming to become a professional.

It is true that most magician's fall into the "hobbyist" category, and a lot of people are concerned about the fact that a lot of magic is performed badly. Is this because of hobbyists? Do professionals really look down on hobbyists? What are your opinions of magic as a hobby?

I am curious to see what you guys think.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
hey man, just because you dont perform for a living, doesnt mean you arnt professional! Many "professionals" arnt professionals at all, they are just performers tryna make a buck or two.

What?
The difference between a professional and a hobbyist is the paycheck.
Dont you know what the word "profession" in the word professional means?

Many "professionals" arnt professionals at all,

I dont even know what you mean by that.

There are magicians who are "famous" that aren't "professional" at all. Dr. Michael Rubinstein for example is a vet and Guy Hollingworth is a lawyer.

What I am saying is, they are I guess hobbyists as well but they still make a little bit of change from magic.

I'm sure both live much more comfortably than professional magicians however, since they have actual well paying jobs and they went to college. Stay in school.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
There are two things people associate with a professional magician.

1. Magic is his profession and his primary means of earning money.
2. His performances should have a level of consistency befitting a professional. How can a magician who performs well one day and flashes basic sleights the next day be considered a professional?

If you are a hobbyist, I feel you should still work towards point 2 that I have written about but point 1 is irrelevant. Remember, some of the really great past performers were not professionals in the sense of performing for a living.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Don't think that for one minute that just because you might be a hobbyist at this, that you cannot take it a bit further and make some pay on the side.

I am a full time elementary school teacher and book at least three gigs a month and get paid fairly well for them. Just practice, stay positive, have fun and you'll continue to grow.

I started out just like you and then joined a local IBM ring and then things really took off from there.

You all must be right, the definition of professional means they make money, so i must be wrong, correct? Ahh, no. you can flame me all you like, you know that the reason people get into magic to make money... is to make money. That is the main reason for being a professional, is to make money. You wouldnt agree that an amatuer that performs a lot to promote the art isnt a professional? Someone like that in my eyes is much more professional than ten money makers. But i guess you can just think linear, dont much bother me.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
magicfreak, you have to distinguish between a person who is a professional and a person who exhibits professional behaviour. A magician may be a professional magician but act in an unprofessional manner. On the other hand, an amateur magician may act far more professionally than a professional magician, and in this context, we may consider him professional. However, even in this latter circumstance, he is a professional by his actions, and not his status, and this is the difference.

Everyone should realise that the two sides are talking about completely different things and that both are correct. However, for the purposes of this thread, I believe that it is fairly clear that the original poster was talking about the former circumstance; ergo, professional in this thread should be defined as a magician who earns a living primarily from magic.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
I wouldn't say theres any difference between amatuer and professional, i wouldn't even say it's down to dedication or anything else, there are probably hundreds of thousands of "professional" level amatuers who are just waiting for their big break.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I meant an chance to get some attention, like a small appearance on TV or something like that. With that there isnt as much pressure on them.

Not every proffesional wants to have T.V. fame like C.A. and Blaine or even an appearance.
IF your getting paid to perform at gigs,venues and private parties,you ARE a proffesional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
Its a tricky topic but what i kind of meant was that to be a professional, people have to think you are a professional and to know that they have to know WHO you are, skill isnt really involved.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results