Magic, Cardistry, Or Coins?

Aug 6, 2008
So I'm only going to get one thing, as I'm tight on money. Now I mainly do card magic ( sleight of hand, some gaffs). My question was Im only going to get one thing which one should I get: Genesis, Metal, or some of the DGP?

Cardistry- looks really cool, and I wanted to start it, so I was thinking about getting Genesis by Andrei Jikh as it teaches you the basics.

Coin magic- Looks really neat too, and I also wanted to start learning it. Metal seems like a good dvd to get the basics down.

Magic- Or should I just stick to cards, and keep on trying to master magic instead of moving to cardistry or coin magic?
I was thinking about the Daniel Garcia Projects( I dont know which one to get) but they have some really nice effects I could use.

I just wanted your opinions and thoughts.

C

Cardmaster211

Get the product that appeals the most to you, Genesis is brilliant and if you are a beginner of cardistry you should get. I would definitely recommend metal, because the fact it teaches, a bunch of coin moves that will keep you busy. DGP 6 would be great because that volume has great tricks and creativity put in them.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I would go with "Metal" for this reason...

You already to card magic and becuase of this you need something different to help keep you fresh. If you go and learn a few coin tricks and then go back to your cards you will see a big difference in your magic as a whole. I myself do all three. I know some card tricks, I do some flourishes and I know some coin stuff. When I get frustrated with one I can go to another so I do not stop all together becuase I can't get something. In shorter terms I rotate the learning.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I have Genesis, and will be getting Metal. You can't go wrong with Daniel Garcia. He has some awesome stuff. With that said, if you decide on one of the DGP volumes, I have heard to go with volume 6.

Genesis - This is a great dvd. Awesome, in depth teaching, and flat out sweet. I didn't care for it too much. Reasoning? Because I don't care much for cardistry. It is cool, don't get me wrong, just not my cup o' tea. I would rather learn something that is awesome in the method, awesome to perform, and will be awesome to see the payoff in the spectators reactions! Just my opinion.

Metal - I have not gotten this yet (she is making me wait till Christmas :( lol) HOWEVER, I do know some coin magic. I love coin magic. I am way better at cards, but coins are my favorite!

Magic - I agree with the above post - you already do cards, why learn a ton more? It's not bad to learn more, by no means! But why not switch it up? Learn some magic with coins! Heck even some magic with ORDINARY OBJECTS! Best magic you will ever do is magic that happens with something that you just picked up or borrowed :)

In my opinion, I would say either go with Metal, or DGP vol. 6! Metal will expand you to coin magic, and with DGP vol. 6 you would get a bit of everything except cardistry (coins, cards, and ordinary objects)

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide, but hopefully I have helped you make your decision!

- Rob

Nov 19, 2010
get genesis only if u want to learn cardistry im not that kind of person but u might b
metal if u want to start up a new genre or enhance wat u can already do
dgp for different effects scattered around with cards coin n other objects

Kaj

Jul 7, 2010
Since you're saying that you are new to Cardistry and are only thinking about doing it, then I might suggest just looking on youtube and learn something easy, like, a few cuts. Just to name a few;
Charlier-, Scissor-, Thumb-, Revolution cut. These are some basics just so you can get the feel if this is something you really would like to continue, since you're tight on money. If so, then yes, get Genesis Vol. 1, cause Andrei teaches a lot of really cool things.

If this wouldn't be a success and you felt like giving up on it, then one of the other choices. I personally am a card person and would rather get DGP, but if you're into coins then sure.
Best of luck,
Kaj

to be completely honest, go with "Metal". It will be something new to learn and fun to do, and as said above, learning different forms will make you better as a whole. Think of it like martial arts, each type of magic is a style, and each contributes to a whole. A well balanced, multiple style fighter will beat a single minded one any day of the week.

You might be asking, then why not Genesis?

My response would be:

Cardistry, atleast in my eyes, is a self-serving and a self-provided artform. You will have much more fun creating your own moves and just playing around with cards then sitting down and going through the hassle of trying to learn pre-created flourishes. Remember how frustrated you got when you started cards? "Damn! this double lift is so hard!" or something along those lines? That's what it will be like with cardistry. Also (again, in my eyes.) Cardistry is just a hobby. I occassionally perform it, but it's all in good fun. Magic is a little more serious. If this is your thought process, then ask yourself: Do you really want to put all that hard work into learning moves that you really have no use for, or would you rather just have fun and mess around?

Thats just me. You can do whatever.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Well I would have to say get the Daniel Garcia Projects... I have volume's 1-3 and I am planning on getting 4-6 for Christmas. But, you said that you are short on cash right now, and I get that. So, the only real answer I have is to get what you really want. Like said before, you could search up on youtube for some easy "flourishes" or do like I do. Just play with the cards and make up your own. I'm not a big flourisher, I mainly stick to my magic. And, I do coins very rarely. I have a couple routines with four fifty-cent pieces, but thats about it.

So, like I said. I would go with the DG projects. You would probably want to get the first three before 4-6. But thats just me, I like to do things in order. But, if you didn't know, here are the descriptions for Daniels tricks on volumes one through three.

Volume 1

Satisfaction Guaranteed: Starts where most All Backs Routines end, and then goes two climaxes better.
Personal Safe: Coins across-into the spectator's hand. Plus a killer finish: the last coin changes places with the spectator's ring which actually vanishes from their hand.
Twisted: Instead of wasting time on minute handling changes for the bill switch, Daniel improved the effect. Now you wave your hand over the bill, and it visibly changes to a hundred.
Ego: How many card effects have one great new move? This one has two! You find the card the spectator's thinking of with the fastest card change you've never seen. If you don't have an ego, this will give you one.
Third Degree: Use this only if you're prepared to really freak people out. You find a selected card by burning a cigarette through the deck-it stops on the selection.
Rubber Made: A banquet of visual impossibility with a borrowed ring and two ordinary rubber bands. Daniel's killer routine has three phases and half a dozen visual miracles. Then the climax-you hold both rubber bands in your hands and openly toss one at the other, where they link, untouched, in midair. Unlink the bands and hand them for examination.

Volume 2

Only Four: Shadows coin for the 21st century. Only four coins are used-totally clean, and you can stop worrying about flashing the fifth coin.
Scatter: A mental and physical impossibility-a card trick that uses no cards. Includes a PDF so you can print off as many as you like.
Motion: A Haunted Deck routine that needs no gaffs, no preparation-all you need is this DVD.
Bad Habit: A strikingly visual routine with a coin, a cigarette box, and a spectator's hand.
Chi!: A coin is held at the fingertips and punctured with the magician's finger. And yes, the coin is signed. What more is there to say?
White or wheat: The spectator examines the aces, which you cleanly place on the table with empty hands. A second later, the selected card is found between them. And then the spectators examine the aces again. Includes the Ego slip control, which you absolutely will use.

Volume 3

Nacho Momma's Triumph: Features a surprise finish, now entirely in the hands. This will hook, reel in, and land all your magic buddies-add a little olive oil and they'll be completely fried. Needless to say, laymen have no chance.
Quarters: A relentlessly impossible coin through glass routine. Includes the damnedest visual penetration: you drop a coin in the glass-it really goes in the glass-and it falls right out the bottom. Uses any glass.
Windex: Draw a window on a signed card, then open the window to create a large opening in the card as well as in the spectator's brain. Leaves a permanently impossible souvenir.
C.A.A.N.: Any card freely named is found at any number from 1-52. Totally clean. All in the hands. Mucho Easy.
Joe Blow: Talk about packs small plays big... this impromptu wonder requires only a tiny scrap of paper and a spectator to witness a miracle. Over and over again, you wiggle your finger and cause a piece of paper to fall over. Every possible explanation is brilliantly cancelled. Warning: Some people will actually believe it's real (present company excluded).

Hope that helps,

~blake.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results