Magic Castle Audition

Jul 7, 2010
I'm planning to audition for the Magic Castle Junior Society in March. This is my second time auditioning, (they said that I hadn't been doing magic for long enough the first time) and I really want to get in so, I'm posting a video of what I think my routine is going to be. If you have any pointers or advice and could post them, that would be very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8wdLpEbAI

Note: The patter in the video is not my final patter. I'm still not sure what I'm going to say.

0:14 Do not say that "at the end of the routine, your card will end up here, hopefully." because that sounds not confident about yourself, and, please, do not tell the audience what is going to happens.

0:16 slow down, and show the ace to the audience, I'm sure no one in the audience know what card u put down on the table.

0:23 please say the card you pick out loud, because it is very hard to see in the large room and you are moving fast.

0:43 eliminate the flourish, and instead do a magical snap or a magical hand wave over the card to create the magic moment. The flourish kill the moment.

0:47-1:08 I do not understand what is going on

Please reupload the video, because the sound don't link with the action. Therefore, I can't help you.

PS: work on your pinky count, eleminate the poping card when you pulling down your pinky.

Tricky Devil

Jul 7, 2010
thanks for the advice. To explain what's happening between 0:47-1:08 it's an invisible deck type trick. I know the patter's bad so if anyone has any advice that would be super helpful

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I think the video is sped up???

And the sound if off?

Reupload please...

Just wondering, how long have you been doing magic? Also, for a place like magic castle, I think you have to be beyond card tricks... Don't trust me though, I don't really know much about magic castle, other than its a very prestigious place...

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Heya, my friend linked me this thread in the hopes that I might be able to help you.

My good friend Tricky Devil gave you some good advice. He knows what he is talking about.

If you need my help just skype me at MalibuARMY.

And, this is a waste of our time. I don't mean to be rude but we cannot help you if you are stating what you are doing in your routine instead of actually doing your routine.

1:35 eliminate the fan

1:46 eliminate the fan

3:38 instead of saying I'm gonna "palm" it, say I will hold it in my hand.

3:49 just say your card is now vanished in the deck and eliminate the "prove" because it cause a lot of time. That's mean it increase more chance that you over the time limit.

3:54 Instead of say "trick", say "the magic"

3:57-4:21 definitely work on the handling of the cards

4:36 I like how you end the routine.

Conclusion: You have a solid routine right here; now, work on the card handling at 3:35-4:21. One more important thing, remember to do a good presentation and showmanship. Get the audience involve in your act not just the one helping you out on stage, but in the seating audience as well. Do eye contact. Remember to use these tools because these little things will separate you from the rest.

In-tel: The Junior audition is 2 times harder than the adult audition. Make sure that you that you do your best when ur up. Turn nervous into strength (I normally do 10 push up before I do my show to gather my strength). Believe in what you do.

Tricky Devil

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Just some of my thoughts that you can take it you like them :
-I would suggest that when you make the prediction, that you find it, or have it somewhere already (like in the card box, an envelope, a separate pocket etc.). This will add intrigue and emphasis to it. Where you get from should be related to the premise of the effect (why are you showing this to your audience.).
-along with the why, I feel like the reason you give for handing/using the aces is unclear and muddled. Perhaps telling them that you are going to show them a demonstration of how street cons work (or whatever based on the premise you decide), then introduce the aces and continue.
-when you switch gears and bring out the invisible deck, I got lost by that transition. It wasn't clear why you needed the invisible deck, or why you switched gears at all. When building routines, transitions are superb important.
-why do they have to use an invisible deck? Can they just think of a card? Can they use the deck on the table? Explain why you want them to play along (darn, I forgot my other deck at home... here use this...).
-from a theatrical point, your safety word is "right" (or "alright"). I recommend not using this in your final script.
-also work on your breathing. If you listen to the video, just to your breathing, you sound nervous. The way we breath can be trained. Be conscious of your body and breath.

I realize that most of this is about your patter, but this will be the most important part. The best way to nail all of these things is to write down a script on paper. Then rework it until it fits. Work on when to take big breaths, and when to talk slower or faster, quieter or louder. Write it on the script. Then memorize it and get rid of the paper. Keep practicing until you know it by heart adjusting it to sound natural.

Good luck with your audition!

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
0:26 – don't say what will happen at the end of the trick

0: 45 – doesn't sound natural

0: 50 – saying you put a pair on the top so the audience can remember is saying the audience is stupid and that they can't really remember two easy cards, they are aces.

0: 57 – What the hell is 3 card monte to a layman. They generally have no idea about it

0: 58 – Now there is a 2 card monte?! What the hell is that?!

1:06 – The cards will switch… What is the point?! I can't follow them you say? Are you trying to insult me.

I don't have time to go over the other stuff. I got a gig tonight. Please skype me at MalibuARMY or e-mail me. A good thing that I was able to do while getting ready for my Magic Castle audition was actually being at the castle. As a member now I go there every weekend. You should too. E-mail me and I'll be glad to talk and get you in. It is easier to learn when you are at school or in this case the magic castle.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
I realize that most of this is about your patter, but this will be the most important part. The best way to nail all of these things is to write down a script on paper. Then rework it until it fits. Work on when to take big breaths, and when to talk slower or faster, quieter or louder. Write it on the script. Then memorize it and get rid of the paper. Keep practicing until you know it by heart adjusting it to sound natural.

Good luck with your audition!

I like this. You should ALWAYS use a script. I always do. NEVER go off of it. Record yourself and then listen to yourself with the script in front of you and mark how many times you say a phrase differently. We aren't magicians. We are actors portraying magicians.

I've been too far removed from the Jr.'s program for my insight to be valuable to you, but I'll toss in my two cents anyways.
:26 Don't put the card back onto the deck top unless it's for a purpose. IE top change. It looks suspicious.
:28 Why are you fanning? Stop that. There is no reason to fan at this point.
:51 Slow down. I barely got a chance to see the second Ace. I know it's spades because I spend the majority of my days looking at a deck of cards, a normal mark may not be as quick.
1:02 Three card monte? Two card monte? What the heck is a three card monte, or a two card monte? Your general audience, usually being non magicians won't get this reference. Don't use it, lose it, and find some other way to illustrate your point.
1:31 I'm not pretty confused, I'm pretty unamused. I've seen nothing to support your claims that the cards are changing places. The first change exchange is fine, but the multiple taps is over kill- unless you plan to show at various intervals that changes are actually taking place.
1:36 Quit fanning. Thats magical masturbation; done because it only makes you feel good, and serves no greater purpose.
1:49 Fan. fail. knock it off already.
3:45 You talk about palming it into the deck box. Why? A spectator isn't going to know what palming is. Cut that line.

Overall you have no script or patter. You're doing nothing but talking me through your actions, which I can clearly see. Audience members aren't stupid, and you're a magician, not a cooking show host. I'm going to take the nine, have it signed, put it back, shuffle...etc. By actually scripting out a patter, and rehearsing using that script I think you'll tighten up the routine quite a bit.

Slow down, as it's been said, don't rush things. Take time to understand where the magic is, and why it's magical. Don't just blaze through it so you can get to your next double lift.

all the best to you in March.

Dec 19, 2010
Hi I had the great honor of being in the Juniors in the 80's and then for a while I was one of the sponsors.

First thing don't feel bad, if your younger or newer to the art you almost always have to audition twice.
It just shows that you want to be part of the group, don't do any of the same effects you did the last time.
I watched the video and your moves are great they just need the smoothness that only practice will bring.
I agree with other posts slow down and enjoy where you are and what you are doing.

And as you work on what you are going to say two hints:
Less is more you don't have to keep talking all the time "PATTER" is a BAD word for what we do.
And try very hard NOT to say what you are doing, we as the audience can see what you are doing, tell us what it all means, or why you are doing these things with cards or coins.

Final though YES allways make the magic moment with a snap or wave.
Scott SteelFyre
"The Enigmatist"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results