Magic Clones

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So there are a few magicians out there that resemble other magicians quite a lot. It may be because they were mentored in a specific way, or it's just happenstance. But there are a few magicians who remind me strongly of other magicians.

Keep in mind, I believe everyone on this list is absolutely talented! They are the best, they just really resemble another talented magician.

Larry Haus sounds exactly like Eugene Burger.

I know Larry was one of Burgers best students, but if I close my eyes I'm not sure I could tell who was speaking.

Jason Ladanye has a very similar presentational style to Darwin Ortiz.

Again, I don't know if it's a mentorship thing but Jason is like a younger Ortiz in my book.

Chris Westfall acts like Jay Sankey.

I know they are both Canadian but I think this one might just be a coincidence. Chris Westfall has a very Sankey way of performing in my view.

Josh Burch sounds like Dave Johnson.

Yeah, my voice sounds like another magician's. It's really odd. Someone pointed it out to me so I had to go check and as far as I'm concerned we have the exact same voice. I think Dave's great but that was an odd discovery.

So, who are your favourite magic clones?

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I don't unfortunately have as extensive knowledge of different magicians as required to answer this question...

But how about the following pair:-

Every emerging magician on You Tube :: Chris Ramsay/Daniel Madison?

(Don't kill me. Killing people for lame jokes has been declared as an illegal and time-consuming wasteful act since 4ever BC.)

Reactions: Josh Burch
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
So there are a few magicians out there that resemble other magicians quite a lot. It may be because they were mentored in a specific way, or it's just happenstance. But there are a few magicians who remind me strongly of other magicians.

Keep in mind, I believe everyone on this list is absolutely talented! They are the best, they just really resemble another talented magician.

Larry Haus sounds exactly like Eugene Burger.

I know Larry was one of Burgers best students, but if I close my eyes I'm not sure I could tell who was speaking.

Jason Ladanye has a very similar presentational style to Darwin Ortiz.

Again, I don't know if it's a mentorship thing but Jason is like a younger Ortiz in my book.

Chris Westfall acts like Jay Sankey.

I know they are both Canadian but I think this one might just be a coincidence. Chris Westfall has a very Sankey way of performing in my view.

Josh Burch sounds like Dave Johnson.

Yeah, my voice sounds like another magician's. It's really odd. Someone pointed it out to me so I had to go check and as far as I'm concerned we have the exact same voice. I think Dave's great but that was an odd discovery.

So, who are your favourite magic clones?
Fun fact though...watching certain magicians closely can make you their clones even when you don't want to be one.

I remember when I had first started watching Brian Brushwood, and then I was lowkey shouting excitedly every time I'd perform magic. Thank God I wasn't allowed to choose my hairstyle back then... *shudders*

Reactions: notsoltd

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Fun fact though...watching certain magicians closely can make you their clones even when you don't want to be one.

I remember when I had first started watching Brian Brushwood, and then I was lowkey shouting excitedly every time I'd perform magic. Thank God I wasn't allowed to choose my hairstyle back then... *shudders*

Yeah that's very possible!

Many magicians make things vanish like David Copperfield does because of this (open your fist one finger at a time, pause at the thumb and index finger).

I think the solution is to watch many magicians and many types of magic.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Also - make sure you're experiencing things other than magic as well. I remember at a lecture by Wayne Houchin he talked about how he never really got good at magic until he stopped obsessing with it and started having a life outside of magic. That allowed him to bring aspects of those other interests into his magic.

Joss Whedon has also talked about "filling the tank". Between big projects he reads books and comics, watches movies and plays and TV shows, and just generally tries to take in as much art and creative expression as possible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results