Magic consulting?

Mar 17, 2015
I'm a highschool student doing a project on "the cost of living," and I have a few questions about this possible career path:

What's the starting salary?
How can I get started in this career?
What are some requirements?
Pros? Cons?
Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Pros? Cons?
Is it worth it?
First off, this is a question that is more similar to being a part time magician. If you can create your own stuff (and perform), you may be able to consult.

This is a difficult question to answer. Since this is a talent based job, with usually no steady income there is no "starting salary". You earn what people pay you (or what they think you deserve), you can't compare with other magicians/consultants as there isn't a set routine that all magicians do/invent that could demand the same fee across the board (and if there was, that'd be absurd).

In the same way that pay isn't the same or based on any standard, there is no other way to get started than to practice, be knowledgeable, and get your name out there (usually by performing on the street or for free). Almost all magicians/consultants are self employed, if you would "hire" yourself, and can afford the time and money to start off, then you can consider yourself "employed".

For requirements, see above.

Pros: this is defined by you. Do you enjoy entertaining people? Do you enjoy magic as a whole?
Cons: Pay is not great and is limited to how many magicians or event organizers hire you over others, which can be unpredictable.

You define its "worth". This is not a typical 9-5, Monday through Friday job and the pay may be minor, to the point where you will probably need a second job. Consider magic/consulting as more of a occasional hobby you can get paid for than an actual job (much like any other art based talent whether it be music, literature, or visual art). Very few people get to do consulting full time, and these people are usually the best people in the field working for some of the biggest names in magic.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

Varies from project to project. For a DVD you coul have $1000 buy out. For a theater company they may ask you to work for free. For an Opera You may be able to negotiate $2-3000.

Create original magic and make a name for yourself in the magic community. Network and ask for feedback from other magicians.

Contact theaters and performing arts companies in your area and offer your services.

You must have the knowledge of stagecraft and television magic.

Pros? Cons?

It's a full time job for only a select few hundred in the world and they do not make much more than a school teacher. With the exception of people like Banachek or Chris Kenner, but these guys are really show producers not consultants.

There are some people who work for magicians on TV but their circles are very tight. People like Blake Vogt, David Kwong, Daniel Garcia and Calen Morelli. It is very difficult to get an into a Hollywood picture or television show.

Is it worth it?

Probably not. Most consultants are professional performing magicians who have made a name for themselves, locally or otherwise. Their consultation only comes as a side project to their actual career of performing and creating magic.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Speaking on the topic of salaries, what are some more potential sources of income for a magician? Such as marketing original effects, performing, and doing lectures (?). Are there more?
Of course as a disclaimer I should say that it is foolish to pursue magic, or any art, just for the money ;)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Speaking on the topic of salaries, what are some more potential sources of income for a magician? Such as marketing original effects, performing, and doing lectures (?). Are there more?
Of course as a disclaimer I should say that it is foolish to pursue magic, or any art, just for the money ;)

Performing is the most lucrative way that a magician can get money, I would challenge anyone who would say it wasn't. I have marketed various products, and it takes a lot of work to get over a thousand dollars with one magic product. On the contrary, I can earn much more than that amount in a few gigs.

To make money performing a good strategy is to get into a certain circuit like, public speaking, wedding entertainment, school shows, scout shows, stand up comedy, conventions, cruise ship entertainment and so on.

There are magicians who make money from Youtube. I get a check from my You Tube channel every few months. It is nothing substantial but it is a random date night here and there. Blog posts and online performances are a possible way to make money but they are still probably more difficult than performing live in my opinion.

Nov 27, 2015
I have done some local stuff at my church to get myself recognised by the local neighbourhood, but I haven't done any payed magic yet :)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I have done some local stuff at my church to get myself recognised by the local neighbourhood, but I haven't done any payed magic yet :)

Well, you have to have a product before you can sell :) So, work on your act till you have something you can offer. A good place to practice is a nursing home. They are always looking for people to perform for the patrons. Once you have a show contact places you want to perform. Criss Angel has a Las Vegas show because he was head strong and contacted the people in power then sold them his product.

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
ah I was thinking Youtube too, so long as I produce quality videos, and about marketing, are profits usually enough from a product to be substantial?

Also, can a magic career be helped by marketing courses (or the like)? I am going to university in a year or two, what courses would help me develop skills? So far I have sociology/psychology or maybe performing arts in mind.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results