Hey my big family!
I've been involved in magic for a while, and i was wondering if there were any good film to watch about magic and illusionism.

I relly liked "Now you see me" and "The illusionist", could you suggest me a bunch of new titles?

Happy new year!
<3

The Prestige is a Christopher Nolan film and it's really good. There is The Incredible Burt Wonderstone which others hated but I enjoyed simply for Jim Carrey's parody character of Criss Angel. There are some great magician short films such as "The Magician" (my personal favorite) and "Misdirection". History Channel did a biopic on Harry Houdini although it wasn't entirely factual (no surprise there). And there is also a plethora of documentary films on classic magicians that are just as good as any fiction film and better in my opinion.

The Prestige is a Christopher Nolan film and it's really good. There is The Incredible Burt Wonderstone which others hated but I enjoyed simply for Jim Carrey's parody character of Criss Angel. There are some great magician short films such as "The Magician" (my personal favorite) and "Misdirection". History Channel did a biopic on Harry Houdini although it wasn't entirely factual (no surprise there). And there is also a plethora of documentary films on classic magicians that are just as good as any fiction film and better in my opinion.
Uh thank you Tyler!

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
There's also the documentary on Dai Vernon that you can watch on YouTube. I must have watched that 100 times.

There's also Shade which is a movie on gambling but uses names from the magic world. Supposedly it's a really good movie and features Paul Wilson and Jason England.

There's a movie coming out called "Sleight" that looks kind of interesting. Sort of seems like a magician-as-a-superhero thing.

I just re-watched Deceptive Practices which is a documentary about Ricky Jay that I rather enjoy.

Highly recommend Deceptive Practices, not sure if it's still on Netflix but when it was I watched it more times than I did the 3 Ninjas VHS back in the day (wore that tape out!!).

Outside of that, while not really "films" per say, Our Magic by R Paul Wilson (believe it's on Amazon Prime video atm) was an extremely intriguing and interesting documentary. Magic Camp was also pretty fun to watch, I really enjoyed seeing the excitement and dedication those kids all had/have.

Someone mentioned the Prestige and that's probably my favorite fictional magic film, although it took me a few watches to soak everything in!

Forgot to mention "The Magic Life", another documentary that follows around three magicians (I think it's three). This one is a little more "real" than some of the others, don't want to say too much more about it but definitely worth the watch!

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I would agree that The Prestige is probably the best magic movie. The history channel Houdini special was entertaining (if not entirely accurate). Another documentary that hasn't been mentioned yet is one that's coming out this year:
It's about Richard Turner and looks really interesting :D

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I will always maintain that The Prestige is a feud movie with magic as a premise.

The Magicians, while not "real life" magic is interesting in how it presents the concept of magic in the real world. And Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel as well - fantasy, but the idea of how it works is very interesting.

Reactions: Giacomo
Oct 10, 2015
Highly recommend Deceptive Practices, not sure if it's still on Netflix but when it was I watched it more times than I did the 3 Ninjas VHS back in the day (wore that tape out!!).

Outside of that, while not really "films" per say, Our Magic by R Paul Wilson (believe it's on Amazon Prime video atm) was an extremely intriguing and interesting documentary. Magic Camp was also pretty fun to watch, I really enjoyed seeing the excitement and dedication those kids all had/have.

Someone mentioned the Prestige and that's probably my favorite fictional magic film, although it took me a few watches to soak everything in!

Forgot to mention "The Magic Life", another documentary that follows around three magicians (I think it's three). This one is a little more "real" than some of the others, don't want to say too much more about it but definitely worth the watch!
3 Ninjas! Hahaha..... Rocky loves, Emily.... I'd better look up Deceptive Practices if its THAT good. lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results