Magic Jobs

Sep 2, 2007
Hey guys, I was wondering a few days ago how would I go about finding a job doing magic? Do I put an ad in the paper? Do I go to all the local restaurants?

I saw my friend working behind the counter of a macdonalds and knew that one day I would have to get a job, so I was hoping I would do it with something I love. I was thinking of getting sponge balls and stick to most of my card magic.

So I ask again, how do I get a job doing magic?

I'm turning 15 in June and am also wondering, am I too young?

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm hoping I could get some feedback from people who perform magic at restaurants or birthday parties

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
How long have you been doing magic for? Some people might think you're not a good magician just because of your age. I have heard of young people who got turned down just because they were... well... young.

I recommend you get a tad bit more experience and then try and get a magic related job. Meanwhile, you can maybe find a magic shop where you can work. You can practice your tricks on the customers and some may even be able to help you out with presentation and technicalities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from pursuing your career (or part time career if you want it that way), I'm just suggesting you don't immediately step out into the big, scary world. I am 16 years old and I'm not thinking of doing magic as a profession because I've only had about a year's experience in the field. Maybe one day I might.

Also, you might want to check out this thread about restaurant/walkaround magic I found over at the Penguin Magic forums. (If you're one of those Penguin Magic or Ellusionist haters then don't bother with finding a job in magic until you become more mature and get over an internet website.:p)

I hope this has helped you in some way or another.

Cheers,
Shanku:D

That Penguin Magic thread posted above is really great and worth a read, although I think it comes across as too serious, I'm usually a pretty lighthearted performer, and same thing when it comes to asking for the job.

Sep 2, 2007
How long have you been doing magic for? Some people might think you're not a good magician just because of your age. I have heard of young people who got turned down just because they were... well... young.

I recommend you get a tad bit more experience and then try and get a magic related job. Meanwhile, you can maybe find a magic shop where you can work. You can practice your tricks on the customers and some may even be able to help you out with presentation and technicalities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you from pursuing your career (or part time career if you want it that way), I'm just suggesting you don't immediately step out into the big, scary world. I am 16 years old and I'm not thinking of doing magic as a profession because I've only had about a year's experience in the field. Maybe one day I might.

Also, you might want to check out this thread about restaurant/walkaround magic I found over at the Penguin Magic forums. (If you're one of those Penguin Magic or Ellusionist haters then don't bother with finding a job in magic until you become more mature and get over an internet website.:p)

I hope this has helped you in some way or another.

Cheers,
Shanku:D

i've been into magic about 1.5 years so I'm probably not trained in the art enough. I've read half that thread and it's really helpful. Maybe when i'm slightly older I'll try doing as the thread ask's and go to the local restaurants. That magic shop is a really good idea, but yet again i'll wait a year or two. they have 2 people running a magic shop by me and I don't think they'll need another.

Also, Thanks for the thread Shanku

Apr 22, 2008
I think you have to be 16 to get a job, and you will need permission of your school and parents .... maybe in your state is different .... well here at the mall by my house there are these guys who are selling a magic DVD of their own ....... its like mentalism with cards and they told me if i wanted to work with them over the summer and i was like ...... 'Sounds Good to me" =] ......

Sep 2, 2007
I think you have to be 16 to get a job, and you will need permission of your school and parents .... maybe in your state is different .... well here at the mall by my house there are these guys who are selling a magic DVD of their own ....... its like mentalism with cards and they told me if i wanted to work with them over the summer and i was like ...... 'Sounds Good to me" =] ......

you have to be 15, Canada is great eh?

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Note: I'm not saying this is how everyone should go about getting hired, but this is what happened to me...
I've been doing magic for approximately 2 years and have been strictly performing for friends and relatives (free of charge, of course) and one of my parents friends said they were having a party and they would be happy to hire me to do some magic. (this was about two months before the party...) The party was on Sat. May 3 and it went really well. I told the host I wouldn't be needing anything as I wasn't planning to charge. She insisted and paid me more handsomely that I had imagined... During the party I impressed everyone with a "grand finale" trick at the end (an invisible deck to reveal a seemingly impossible prediction...) and I got the opportunity to hand out one of my business cards and told the guy if he's interested I'll come to a party and do magic free of chage. (he seemed really interested as we talked for about 10 minutes or so after the show...)
If I don't get a call, I won't be disappointed- I'm just glad to get some much needed exposure. Getting your name out there is key.

Just my experience,

-matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results