Magic Misconceptions you hate hearing

Jan 2, 2016
California
@010rusty 's latest post made me think of this idea. I was wondering, what are some misconceptions about magic you hate hearing. Here are mine:

- "The hand is quicker than the eye"
- "Always be the smartest guy in the room"
- Magic gets you girls (I wish)

These are the one's I hear most often. I could probably think of more. So what are yours? It could be something from other magicians, spectators, etc. Let's hear em!

Jan 2, 2016
California
Magic totally gets you girls. I made a rose appear for a girl once on our first date and she ended up marrying me and giving me a daughter lol As for misconceptions my biggest pet peeve is when they think you are going to steal your wallet.
Haha fair enough.

Also, thought of another few:

- People assuming you can pickpocket
- People assuming you are good at/can cheat in card games

Jul 26, 2016
Good, fun topic! Will have to give it more thought. But I do have a pretty good comeback, which gets a laugh, when they say the hand is quicker than the eye.

>>> "Well, yes, that must be true, or you'd never see anyone walking around with a black eye."

Aug 15, 2017
@010rusty 's latest post made me think of this idea. I was wondering, what are some misconceptions about magic you hate hearing. Here are mine:

- "The hand is quicker than the eye"
- "Always be the smartest guy in the room"
- Magic gets you girls (I wish)

These are the one's I hear most often. I could probably think of more. So what are yours? It could be something from other magicians, spectators, etc. Let's hear em!
"There is nothing like magic, absolutely nothing. It's all in the hands."

"You saw this on America's Got Talent, right?"

Then is something that I don't know is regional or worldwide but...
See, I am perfectly fine with people advising me, even criticising me...but the worst time of my life is when a self-made-penn-and-teller spectator tells me, (not in the sweet innocent way, but in the smart aleck way)...

"You know, everything was fine, but the way you did that no, that time when you were shuffling the deck? Yes, I saw the small compass you had hidden between the cards. You should have done something like this..."

Then they will do some weird karate-cum-hand-puppet-cum-classical-dance-cum-salt-shaker-meme-kinda hand maneuver, apparently trying to show me how things ought to be done.

And I am like,

"Oh yeah! Man, you've got sharp eyes, you've got sharp eyes..."

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I think it's necessary but it's not the best control out there.

Agreed. I'm sure in your case you wouldn't use it because you know more advanced and suitable controls. I think that at least 75% of the people that say they don't want to learn it is due to laziness. It takes months to learn to do well so most people just give up on it. :)

Dec 29, 2017
That using weak material from selfworking number tricks and practical mental magic on Facebook makes you an impressive magician.

I’m not talking about anyone in particular. I swear. However share this video if the last name of the person you’re thinking of is the same as the Los Angeles airport abbreviation.

Jan 2, 2016
California
Agreed. I'm sure in your case you wouldn't use it because you know more advanced and suitable controls. I think that at least 75% of the people that say they don't want to learn it is due to laziness. It takes months to learn to do well so most people just give up on it. :)
I wouldn’t even call it advanced. I usually use controls that can be done right in front of their face like an overhand shuffle or an undercut plus some false shuffles to keep it on top once it’s there. Ive found that itseems natural and works when they don’t expect the card to be on top or arent supposed to know it’s on top.

My pass is quick but by no means invisible. I usually do it in an offbeat when the deck is out of view. I personally don’t see the point of moving half the deck just to put one card on top.
Not calling it useless. Its just not the best card control imo.

Dec 29, 2017

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
This is purely semantics, however they did say -complete- conjurer with cards. I’d have to agree learning a move that you may or may not use regardless moves you one step forward. You gain another tool in your arsenal. However Ammar states that as well and makes a great point of if you want to use it then master it.

Michael Ammar states this right after:

Michael Ammar said:
A lot of guys use the Classic Pass to control one card - which is like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Why move all 52 cards to get the one? I much prefer the Hofzinser Spread Control, because you only move the one card, and use the other 51 cards as cover.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Jan 2, 2016
California
"Can I take you with me to Vegas?!" or "You must be really good in Vegas"

I cringe every time I hear those lines. Every time.
Oh god. I've heard that so many times.

Also, here's another I thought of:

-People thinking self-working card tricks can't be good or powerful.
-People/magicians thinking an effect is easy to perform because the secret is simple/the trick uses gimmicks

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results