Magic Notes -- What do YOU want to see?

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
If someone was to put out a new set of magic/flourishing notes....What would you want to see in them?

What type of effects?
Gimmicks or Sleights?
Tricks or Flourishes?
What type of magic? (What style/venue?)
Cards coins or anything else?

So what do you want?

Just wonderin'
-Brad

Nov 1, 2007
Depends on who put them out. But if they're from Generic Magician A, I'd personally prefer no card tricks, but some coins, some impromptu mentalism (utilizing no billets), and just overall some highly visual stuff for close-up. Maybe some tricks using unorthodox props - we've got a million coin tricks, a million card tricks, but not really any tricks involving... toothbrushes, let's just say. Something a little odd and new.

Also toothbrush magic would be awesome.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
The GOAT change and some coin sleights and tricks. Some stuff Derren Brown does like a psychological force. Maybe a Molecule 5.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I would want to see original and creative thinking on effects that have been time tested on real world audiences for an extensive period of time.

If you or anyone else is contemplating releasing notes you can ask yourself one simple question before releasing them: "Would you buy these notes?"

--Jim

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I would want to see original and creative thinking on effects that have been time tested on real world audiences for an extensive period of time.

If you or anyone else is contemplating releasing notes you can ask yourself one simple question before releasing them: "Would you buy these notes?"

--Jim

So it seems like you want some new out-of-the-box ideas putting twists on some older tricks?

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
So it seems like you want some new out-of-the-box ideas putting twists on some older tricks?

Nopers.

I want to see original thoughts that are your own. What I don't want to see is half-baked ideas or a trick that is 10% different than a trick that came out a year ago. Generally speaking notes are cheap and there isn't much lost when you buy a crappy set of notes. The risk you run is being railroaded because you released some shoddy notes that get bashed backwards and forwards by everyone under the sun. I recently read a review in Magic magazine that called something "Dan Army bad" as an adjective, you don't want that to happen to you =)

--Jim

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Nopers.

I want to see original thoughts that are your own. What I don't want to see is half-baked ideas or a trick that is 10% different than a trick that came out a year ago. Generally speaking notes are cheap and there isn't much lost when you buy a crappy set of notes. The risk you run is being railroaded because you released some shoddy notes that get bashed backwards and forwards by everyone under the sun. I recently read a review in Magic magazine that called something "Dan Army bad" as an adjective, you don't want that to happen to you =)

--Jim

Alright I get it now...I really would like to hear some more about what you have to say. I will PM you later with some more Questions!

I was also thinking...with some notes out there, it can be hard to visualize what the ending effect is supposed to look like. What do you guys think of a performance DVD to go with the notes?

Just thinking?
-Brad

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Alright I get it now...I really would like to hear some more about what you have to say. I will PM you later with some more Questions!

I was also thinking...with some notes out there, it can be hard to visualize what the ending effect is supposed to look like. What do you guys think of a performance DVD to go with the notes?

Just thinking?
-Brad

Performance DVD is an excellent idea to give with a book or notes. At the very least it shows the timing of sleights and movements which can be very hard to pickup from printed effects. Eventually you figure out the timing but it takes a few flubs before it sinks in =)

You could also include frame shots of hand positioning for moves you are trying to explain. Drawing hands and objects can be incredibly time consuming and given the technology we have currently it just makes much more sense to take a snapshot and insert it into the book/notes.

PM me anytime man...

--Jim

Jan 11, 2008
New york
I like the DVD notes combo.
the Germen magician troop of "The flicking fingers" had "THE MOVIE" and "THE BOOK" but sold separately.
I like the way Daryl's Rope routine came with a poster of each step.(BIG HELP)
I like the way one guy (i don't remember who) used the multi angle button so i was able to watch the same thing from different perspectives with a push of that button. but i never seen that done in a live performence..that would be cool.

I like the DVD notes combo.
the Germen magician troop of "The flicking fingers" had "THE MOVIE" and "THE BOOK" but sold separately.
I like the way Daryl's Rope routine came with a poster of each step.(BIG HELP)
I like the way one guy (i don't remember who) used the multi angle button so i was able to watch the same thing from different perspectives with a push of that button. but i never seen that done in a live performence..that would be cool.

The Multi-Angles sounds like Penguin Magic, they mentioned something like that in their preview for their DVD with Jay N called "Color Changes."

It could be a different company though, don't take my word for it.

-RA69

Why not putting out a book? Or are the notes are ebook?

For clips, you can save yourself the DVD by putting clips inside the ebook itself. Michael Close's Closely Guarded Secrets is one of the best produced ebooks in all magic that I've seen. ( I'm assuming that you're doing an ebook here )

The text is there, and beside it is a window, you click it and the video runs. No sound though, and a downside is that it makes the size of the ebook HUGH, making it harder to download ( Michael Close's is 109 megas ).

I personally prefer to see effects and the thinking behind them. Original ideas are great, but I'm fine with variations provided there are tweaked enough so you could publish it, and proven its effectivness throughout continous performances.

In other words, show us how you made your magic yours. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results