Magic on the Streets

Mar 15, 2009
Minnesota
Hey all,

Just wondering, how do you guys get people to see tricks on the street? I find that most people think that I want money, but after I get them to see a trick or two, they're hooked.

I think that a good introduction is crucial to getting people to watch. I say, "Hey, my name's Ian, and I'm a magician. Do you have time for a trick?" I think that this works because it doesn't only sound casual, but it informs them of who I am and what I'm going to do, increasing my chances by about 500%. At first, I tried to portray a sense of mystery, but that never really worked (it only creeped people out).

So, what are your strategies?

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Flourish and let them see you walking, and then go ask

Ask and them show them some flourishes so they see your legit

Have A Camera guy Filming and ask (This Is The One I Do, It Always Works)

I don't flourish but I Have Seen the Tactic Work

I find the best way is to tap or get someones attention, and walk to them and say: "Hey I think you just dropped this." You open your hand and show them a sponge ball, then you place it in your other hand and make it vanish, and go into a routine...

This can work really well, it doesn't have to be a sponge ball it can be any object we use in magic which you would not normally see everyday.

Mar 16, 2009
USA
Flourishes usually do the trick for me. Packet displays and cascades usually draw attention. But mainly, Dan and Dave's "Flic" did the job for me on severaly occasions. :)

Hey all,

Just wondering, how do you guys get people to see tricks on the street? I find that most people think that I want money, but after I get them to see a trick or two, they're hooked.

I think that a good introduction is crucial to getting people to watch. I say, "Hey, my name's Ian, and I'm a magician. Do you have time for a trick?" I think that this works because it doesn't only sound casual, but it informs them of who I am and what I'm going to do, increasing my chances by about 500%. At first, I tried to portray a sense of mystery, but that never really worked (it only creeped people out).

Is your name ian????

Because if it is You Could Be Magic Ian.... (magic-ian::::: magician) :D

sorry that didn't really help with answering your question

umm basically i do what you say (except my name is mike).

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Is your name ian????

Because if it is You Could Be Magic Ian.... (magic-ian::::: magician) :D

sorry that didn't really help with answering your question

umm basically i do what you say (except my name is mike).

Oh wow that's pretty sick. You're very lucky magic-ian. lol

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
If whenever I know im going to be in the mood to perform magic to random spectators.
I dont flourish with cards or ask if they want to see a magic "trick".I hate that word.

Depending on where I am(convinience store,arlington highlands,the mall,etc)
I perform something organic(no pun intended)no script required,and without cards.
I walk up to them,naturally,nonchalant,and ask them "can I show you guys something real quick?) In reality I dont give them a choice.
I usually do an ice production since im always carrying a bottle of water with me i pour
water into my hand, squeeze and show.
I give them the ice,which they always take or ask for anyways and I say thanks and walk away.Not creepy but not laughing about what happened either.
I prefer this hit-and-run approach to "street magic".
Because i dont call it magic or a trick and leave a real lasting impression than if id just stick around and proceed to take out a deck of cards and do other things.

Jan 18, 2009
I just go up with a deck of cards and perform something fast and interesting, usually a spring or a Werm. Then simply ask that if they had some time would like to see magic.

Now since I have the Tarantula I usually do a hovercard, floating ring, or a food to mouth effect and it gets a nice crowd going.

Aug 5, 2008
From where I am from, the weekend malls and shopping areas are filled with people giving out pamphlets and flyers, and donation-seekers. Therefore, people have the mindset that anyone approaching them has the ulterior motive of money, so much so that they wave you away before you can even complete your sentence.

"Hi, my name is -"
" - No thank you."

"Hey, is it alright if I -
" - No money, sorry"

"Hi there, I'd like to show you -"
" - my pay's in only next week."

I've found myself more success in approaching someone and saying, "Hi, do you think I can -", and before they can answer, I pretend to be distracted by something on the floor. Following my gaze, the person(s) I approach will look down as well just in time to see my shoelaces magically tie itself.

More often than not, it will bring a gasp, or a stunned silence, and I'll move on and say, "As I was saying, do you think I can show you some magic?"

The "yes" will entail, and I carry on with what I approached them for: money.

Okay, scratch that last bit.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
Hey all,

by the time you have said your name, they already have the opportunity to brush you off.

Hey all,

Just wondering, how do you guys get people to see tricks on the street? I find that most people think that I want money...

As the Joker once said: "If you're really good at something never do it for free!" I don't perform for nothing. Neither should you. Accosting innocent people on the street with card tricks is just silly. Focus your efforts on getting a resteraunt gig, or something instead.

I think that a good introduction is crucial to getting people to watch. I say, "Hey, my name's Ian, and I'm a magician. Do you have time for a trick?"

First rule of sales: Never give a mark (spectator) a choice. If you ask a closed ended question like that they can respond (and as you found often will) with "no". If some kid just walked up to me on the street interupted my date with my wife to show me some card trick I probably wouldn't give him the time of day myself. When you approach someone a quick introduction to identify yourself is fine, then follow it by "check this out!" or something simular. The mark is more likely to just follow along because you didn't ask them, you politely told them to do something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results