Magic Pet Peeves

Here are some of my biggest pet peeves:

1. Non-professional/inexperienced magicians referring to themselves in the 3rd person on their freewebs.com websites.

2. Magicians who think they became magicians when they got a magic set for their 6th birthday.

3. Magicians who purchase exclusively from one source.

4. Magicians who use Linkin Park as background music for their dimly-lit webcam YouTube videos.

5. Magicians who try to create/sell material via PDF/Instant Download video 14 hours after coming up with said material

6. Magicians who think it is punishable by death to discuss methodology with fellow magicians.

7. Magicians who buy products because they have the money.

8. Magicians who are too lazy to read a book.

9. Old-school magicians that think all material taught via electronic media is inferior to that material found in print regardless of what is actually taught.

10. Arrogant magicians.

11. Magicians who think all of their creations are worthy to be sold independently for $20.

What are yours?

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
oooooooooo
but srsly
this has nothing to do with magic:
but i hate "flourishes" where the "performer" clips packets of cards with his fingers
and then waves his hands around
usually in circles
gross

Sep 1, 2007

5. Magicians who try to create/sell material via PDF/Instant Download video 14 hours after coming up with said material

9. Old-school magicians that think all material taught via electronic media is inferior to that material found in print regardless of what is actually taught.

10. Arrogant magicians.

11. Magicians who think all of their creations are worthy to be sold independently for $20.

What are yours?

Completely agree with these four, man. The magicians selling their own "material" is the biggest one for me. The "elitist" magicians annoy me a bit, too. Everyone was new to magic once.

Magicians who tell everyone how another magician "did that" because they are jealous and/or don't know how to do the trick so they make up a lame method.

QUOTE]

I second that, happened to me too.

1. Magicians who buy an effect and share it to their magician friends
2. Magicians who perform tricks without practicing patter and stumble over words they make up on the spot.

D

Deleted member 2755

1. Non-professional/inexperienced magicians referring to themselves in the 3rd person on their freewebs.com websites.

2. Magicians who think they became magicians when they got a magic set for their 6th birthday.

3. Magicians who purchase exclusively from one source.

4. Magicians who use Linkin Park as background music for their dimly-lit webcam YouTube videos.

6. Magicians who think it is punishable by death to discuss methodology with fellow magicians.

7. Magicians who buy products because they have the money.

8. Magicians who are too lazy to read a book.

10. Arrogant magicians.

What are yours?

Before saying mine... I'll comment on all of yours first. ;)

1. It is kind of funny/pathetic when one person runs a site, but tries to sound professional by saying "We will get back to you soon." or "We look forward to talking to you." Most professionals don't even do that.

2. Well it is how most people that become magicians start out. I didn't start that way. However, I believe 95% of the people on this forum (myself included) can't even call themselves magicians. I'll type up my essay on that either in a few minutes or another time.... (You can ask me on AIM if you are really curious.)

3. These people are immature. It's like Ellusionist. "ELLUSIONIST IS AN EVIL COMPANY!" Ummm... Please people you are bad mouthing then artists that you basically worship who used to work for these guys. Even Wayne Houchin said in an interview he was shocked at how dedicated those guys really are. Again... fanboyism is immature and I'll have another essay on that soon as well.

4. LOL! Well that goes along with what makes a magician a magician in my opinion. I'll save that for my essay. The correct term for this one would not be magician... but wannabe.

5. I see it a lot on Theory 11.... If you make an effect you wish to sell, wait a few years. Perform it and make it evolve. Come up with new variations. When an artist releases an effect, how do you think they have so many variations? Did they come up with all of them at once? No, it evolved over time. Make them work, make tips, blah blah... You give me a new idea for an essay. Haha, this is now 3 essay I want to write. ;)

6. I'm not even gonna comment.

7. We see quite often people saying "I have money. What should I buy?" I could make this into an essay, but I won't. ;) People should perfect what they are working on and save their money. Maybe something un-magic related, more expensive, or something you really want will come up in the future. Perfect what you have and wait until you really want something. Don't spend money because you have it. Of course... http://www.magicfordarfur.org is a great place to spend money if you just happen to have some!

8. I won't lie. I find books boring. I get tired while reading magic books, however I feel they are the best source of learning. DVDs are great, but books will take you far as well. They are also cheaper and will have a wealth of information.

9. I said in number 8 that books were the best for learning in my opinion, but I will say that DVDs are great. I use more DVDs than I do books. I won't lie... DVDs are great and one advantage DVDs have over books is that you see what things are supposed to look like. You can look at the magicians hands and really get into what they want you to do.

10. I think this also goes back into the fanboyism I spoke of earlier.

11. tsk...tsk....tsk....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well now for my pet peeves.

1. WEB CAM! WEB CAM! WEB CAM! You see all of these videos of people calling themselves magicians. UGH! I hate this! Magic is meant to be performed for people, not web cams. When performing in front of a web cam you are practicing for a camera lens, not performing. So to all of you people out there who were about to film themselves doing a trick for the camera: DITCH THE WEB CAM, USE YOUR CAMERA (don't have one? borrow one!) AND GO OUT AND PERFORM FOR REAL PEOPLE! SPREAD THE MAGIC!

2. Exposure... that goes without saying....

3. well.... you can consider number 3 everything you said above because I have to agree with everything you said.

Well... I hope you enjoyed reading this.

-Doug

-EDIT-
Thought of another pet peeve! I do have a number 3!

3. People who spend more time on a magic forum than actually practicing magic! Ok.. done....

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Magicians that feel they have the right to have so many opinions about others and bring them down... Because of course, they're so much better.

Hint hint.

Magicians that feel they have the right to have so many opinions about others and bring them down... Because of course, they're so much better.

Hint hint.
Where did I say I thought I was any better than anyone else? Believe me, if you knew me you would find out that I am the exact opposite. It's just thatright now I'm having a lot of personal issues I'm trying to sort out and I haven't been in the best mood as of late.

The phrases:

-"What I would like you to do..."

-"Um..."

-"Do me a favor and..."

-"A Regular Deck of Playing Cards..."

-"Hold out a hand, no the clean one..."

Just the phrases or sentences we all use, but are either pointless fillers or way over used.

-Bill

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
The inverse is also true for me. Unclipped dirty nails are gross, but dudes with really pretty manicures are also... odd. It seems to be hip for pros to get manicures, but it just seems overboard. How about just good grooming.

I also hate when a magician has a spectator "blow" on a coin or deck of cards as a catalyst for the magic to happen. The next time I perform "Origami" on stage I'm gonna have an audience member come up and blow on the box before I stick the swords through.

Third, I can't stand non-descriptive names for magic effects. I love the effects on Theory11, but some of the names have nothing to do with nothing. I swear to all that's holy, I could repackage Hippity Hop Rabbits and name it "Turmoil", or "EarZ", and make an ad with trenchcoated people walking through smoke. Sell a million of those bad boys.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I can't stand non-descriptive names for magic effects. I love the effects on Theory11, but some of the names have nothing to do with nothing. I swear to all that's holy, I could repackage Hippity Hop Rabbits and name it "Turmoil", or "EarZ", and make an ad with trenchcoated people walking through smoke. Sell a million of those bad boys.

'witness' used to be 'deuce bag'

Sep 1, 2007
1. Magicians that need some practice
2. The ones that are like "I'm and superior!"

The ones that use Jerrys as normal cards.
rich bois. Unless their old and bought them a long time ago.

Oct 6, 2007
Magicians who tell everyone how another magician "did that" because they are jealous and/or don't know how to do the trick so they make up a lame method.

Happened to me once. I hope it will never happen again.

I third this.

I was performing one of my own effects taht required a spectator to cover my eyes with their hands. While this was going on, my so called 'magician' friend actually TOOK away the card I was supposed to find (the selected card).

He then 'magicially' revealed it after.

What's worse tahn compeltely ruining the trick, stealing the thunder because he is jealous, and prentending to be a magician by messing up my tricks to make him look cool.

BTW, the blindfold thing is no longer uses :p

Jan 11, 2008
New york
pet peeves I dont have the nerve to tell them to stop doing.

1) when friends or family call me to quickly turn my T.V on....David blaine street magic re-run.
2) when I go to see a magic shows or street show with friends and they all look at me after all the tricks like "can you do that one?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results