Magic Products overdoing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
I was just wondering if any one else is getting frustrated with the lack of information that is provided by magic studios nowadays? I'm anxiously awaiting the Art of Magic and The Symphony, but I don't have a good idea what these projects consist of. I understand there will be multiple effects taught on the dvds, but why can't I have a description of the effects included so I can determine if I want the dvd? Just because it's by Wayne and DG doesn't make it a must for me. I can get a brief idea of a few effects in the symphony, but I'm getting more info from summer movie previews than I am from magic studios about upcoming projects. Are they afraid people won't buy it if they knew what the dvd contained? Probably not, so just put that info out there for the public. Build up the suspense after we have a description of what's going on. I don't care if you want it to be a surprise; I don't want to pay for a surprise, I want to know what I'm paying for. We're only two weeks out from AoM's release yet I have no clue if I am going to buy it because I don't know what the flip it will contain. I know a lot of people will buy it simply because it's WH, but I'd really like to know the content of the dvd in advance. I'm just kinda worn down by these advertising rushes and a lot of times it's bait and switch, and it turns me off from buying from studios that employ this type of practice. And, what's going on with TooC, is this still going to happen? Some communication please! and if it's already been communicated it needs to be made more public because I know a lot of people are still in the dark. Feel free to verbally rip this thread a part, I don't care, I'm just tired of this anticlimatic advertising idiocracy.

Nov 23, 2008
I agree. Not much more to say man....your not alone. Good news is when you say you don't care...I really don't care. I haven't ever really seen an ad for magic books, which gets all my money.

May sound like blasphemy, but I think over all depending on the site, they are marketing to laymen that "want to get into magic" mostly. Magicians need a revolution for magicians. Kaufman has some sublime items coming out soon!

I remember the true astonishment ad coming out and the youtube comments mostly said "OH MY GOD CAN'T WAIT"....I failed to see any magic in the preview. Same with the Wayne Houchin thing coming out. I just don't know anymore. I rarely trust reviews, previews....anything anymore.

To each their own. The only internet aspect of magic I really enjoy is interaction with kind people. The actual products...meh

Dec 10, 2007
I agree as well......the only reason I can see that they won't have full previews of the content or maybe a full demonstration is b/c maybe they don't want people to replay the hell out of the video, examining it to every detail and semi-figuring out the method and thus not buying the effect. I think this happens alot and people even though they are wrong about the method, they ruin it for others who believe them and this in turn may cause more people to pass on a product. Just a guess though.

Jun 8, 2008
Teaser trailers are cool if its like a few months before the products are released, but yeah I totally agree.

The videos are dam cool tho.

D

Deleted member 2755

I would like for you all to meet my good friend Mr. Marketing. Mr. Marketing can sometimes get people frustrated by releasing teasers that make absolutely no sense.:p

You will find effect descriptions on the day of release of both these projects. Just be patient. Yes it's annoying, but Mr Marketing is here to stay. No way around it.

-Doug

Oct 24, 2007
I agree as well......the only reason I can see that they won't have full previews of the content or maybe a full demonstration is b/c maybe they don't want people to replay the hell out of the video, examining it to every detail and semi-figuring out the method and thus not buying the effect. I think this happens alot and people even though they are wrong about the method, they ruin it for others who believe them and this in turn may cause more people to pass on a product. Just a guess though.

I agree with the first post of course, but I would just like to take notnilc20's post a little further.

First, it is true that some magic companies do not fully show an effect because they do not want people replaying the video to figure out the trick. Yes, you and I wouldn't do it, but there are a lot of dishonest people in the world who would.

What I think would be great is to stop with teasers and just come out with an announcement that some project is being worked on three months before it's supposed to release. Then, about one month to the release date, put out the full trailer. Now, to clarify, the trailer can be like trailers now (no need for teasers) that don't show the full tricks in order to keep "replayers" from striking. BUT, I also think that a full textual list of all the tricks, along with descriptions of the effects (truthful descriptions), should be posted.

That, in my mind, would be the best way to advertise something. Give people a good taste, then tell them the product is coming and you'll have a frenzy. As stated in this thread (kind of), how can someone be excited about something they don't know anything about? Some do fall into the trap, but wouldn't it be better not only to encompass those people, but everyone else with your marketing? What I don't think most magic companies get with this teaser thing is that it isn't the slow revealing that gets people excited, it's the TIME in between the revealing of the product and the release of it. Tell people what's coming, get their fingers itching for it, and then give it to them after a little while when they really, really want it. That's the best way to market and that's what we magicians want. ;)

Tyler

Sources: I work for a company that produces and sells documentary DVDs. Our most recent release has had over 30,000 sales in the past year due to the marketing method above.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I was just wondering if any one else is getting frustrated with the lack of information that is provided by magic studios nowadays? I'm anxiously awaiting the Art of Magic and The Symphony, but I don't have a good idea what these projects consist of. I understand there will be multiple effects taught on the dvds, but why can't I have a description of the effects included so I can determine if I want the dvd? Just because it's by Wayne and DG doesn't make it a must for me. I can get a brief idea of a few effects in the symphony, but I'm getting more info from summer movie previews than I am from magic studios about upcoming projects. Are they afraid people won't buy it if they knew what the dvd contained? Probably not, so just put that info out there for the public. Build up the suspense after we have a description of what's going on. I don't care if you want it to be a surprise; I don't want to pay for a surprise, I want to know what I'm paying for. We're only two weeks out from AoM's release yet I have no clue if I am going to buy it because I don't know what the flip it will contain. I know a lot of people will buy it simply because it's WH, but I'd really like to know the content of the dvd in advance. I'm just kinda worn down by these advertising rushes and a lot of times it's bait and switch, and it turns me off from buying from studios that employ this type of practice. And, what's going on with TooC, is this still going to happen? Some communication please! and if it's already been communicated it needs to be made more public because I know a lot of people are still in the dark. Feel free to verbally rip this thread a part, I don't care, I'm just tired of this anticlimatic advertising idiocracy.

Well by saying you dislike this fact, means you want it changed as do other below. That means it is up to US to voice our opinions to change the market since we be it.

Also, if you didn't plan bits of your life around buying other people's material, you wouldn't have this issue (Grin)

they need to do how E does it...tell what it consists of....

Nov 8, 2007
Just don't get wrapped up in the hype.

I agree the "trailers" and "previews" for magic demos has gotten to the point of absurdity. Bro Gilbert's recent demo for his Deep 3 deck played off this and it's really funny. Take a look if you haven't yet.

I rarely buy anything without seeing a few reviews anyhow these days. Let someone else get wrapped up in the hype, buy it the second it's released, and be disappointed with what they got. It will save you a lot of money and headache.

Basically I think you'll find it best to just allow yourself to get excited about something when there's something to be excited about (released product with clear demo/description and lots of positive reviews) rather than upset over something you know nothing about.

Happy Magic

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Thought I'd chime in here. Many of you are failing to realize that this is how people live and work on a daily basis. It would make absolutely no sense to work on something without telling anyone and simply post it when it was finished. We're passionate about what we do and we want to share that passion and enthusiasm for what we're working on.

With theory11 in particular, we also believe in keeping up that sense of mystery in everything we do. We're a magic company - where would we be without some mystery? The bottom line is that it should not be something that "annoys" or "bothers" you in any way. Before you buy anything off of this site, you have both a full preview and full text description (and usually even a FAQ) to judge it by. Further, you have unparalleled access to our team and the artists to get any questions answered. In the meantime, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Enjoy the mystery. That's what we live for.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I was just wondering if any one else is getting frustrated with the lack of information that is provided by magic studios nowadays? I'm anxiously awaiting the Art of Magic and The Symphony, but I don't have a good idea what these projects consist of. I understand there will be multiple effects taught on the dvds, but why can't I have a description of the effects included so I can determine if I want the dvd?.

After the effect is released you do get most of that info. Symphony and Art of magic arent out yet so they havent released that info. You dont HAVE to buy it as soon as the effects are released. You either look at the reviews first or check out the effects page when they release it. Your getting frustrated at teasers. Its called a Teaser for a reason. Just like in movies,they dont give out much info. They are just to get you wondering about whats coming next. A preview is not the same as a teaser.

Just because it's by Wayne and DG doesn't make it a must for me. I can get a brief idea of a few effects in the symphony, but I'm getting more info from summer movie previews than I am from magic studios about upcoming projects. Are they afraid people won't buy it if they knew what the dvd contained? Probably not, so just put that info out there for the public. Build up the suspense after we have a description of what's going on. I don't care if you want it to be a surprise; I don't want to pay for a surprise, I want to know what I'm paying for. We're only two weeks out from AoM's release yet I have no clue if I am going to buy it because I don't know what the flip it will contain. I know a lot of people will buy it simply because it's WH, but I'd really like to know the content of the dvd in advance. I'm just kinda worn down by these advertising rushes and a lot of times it's bait and switch, and it turns me off from buying from studios that employ this type of practice. And, what's going on with TooC, is this still going to happen? Some communication please! and if it's already been communicated it needs to be made more public because I know a lot of people are still in the dark. Feel free to verbally rip this thread a part, I don't care, I'm just tired of this anticlimatic advertising idiocracy.

Geez man,its sounds like you want to buy everything.

Thought I'd chime in here. Many of you are failing to realize that this is how people live and work on a daily basis. It would make absolutely no sense to work on something without telling anyone and simply post it when it was finished. We're passionate about what we do and we want to share that passion and enthusiasm for what we're working on.

With theory11 in particular, we also believe in keeping up that sense of mystery in everything we do. We're a magic company - where would we be without some mystery? The bottom line is that it should not be something that "annoys" or "bothers" you in any way. Before you buy anything off of this site, you have both a full preview and full text description (and usually even a FAQ) to judge it by. Further, you have unparalleled access to our team and the artists to get any questions answered. In the meantime, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Enjoy the mystery. That's what we live for.
got ya....makes a point...

Dec 10, 2007
Tyler,

Yes, I think you're right about the list of effects and a full honest description.......that would get me juiced up much more than a bunch of fancy flash editing and piano music.

D

Deleted member 2755

Tyler,

Yes, I think you're right about the list of effects and a full honest description.......that would get me juiced up much more than a bunch of fancy flash editing and piano music.

Well that's the point. There is a reason companies don't do this. If the contents were released before the actual release (or too far back before the release), then you already know what's coming. The point of the teasers is to make you hyped. If not hyped, then at least curious. Then when you see the final awesome preview with all the descriptions, it's so much great information that it makes you buy the product out of impulse. That's the point.

Anyway, seeing how this is not improving our magic at all, but just complaining about what we all hate, I'm going to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results