Magic props that look like ancient artifacts?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've always had a fascination with the type of stuff you find in antique stores as well as magic tricks/stories centered around mysterious objects and stuff like that. It reminds me of an Indiana Jones movie sorta. There's just something distinctly magical about this stuff even when it doesn't have a trick built into it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of any magic tricks/props centered around sort of inexplicable objects , like the stuff sold by Gemini Artifacts. It's the type of stuff where if left on a shelf in your living room or something, would make a good conversation starter but also has a trick built in if that makes sense. I have this one called the Inexplicable Thrift Store Find which I love and I know a haunted key sorta lends itself to this presentation.

Anyone know of any other tricks that would fit this description? Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this could also include tricks I could make myself using objects I find in an antique store or something. Once again, kinda like how Gemini artifacts has like 4 variations on the classic color vision trick.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You're thinking of the genre of "Bizarre Magic". I know a thing or two about it.

First off - vendors like Gemini Artifacts and Lebanon Circle are excellent sources, albeit expensive. I know both Dan Baines and Vic Nadata, they're great guys. Dan has one of my top two back stories for getting into magic. The other is Aiden Sinclair. I'm not sure who's first and who's second, though.

Do NOT purchase from Outlaw Effects. Rick has developed a very nasty reputation for taking orders (sometimes into the thousands of dollars) and not delivering because his builders won't work for him any more.

I've never had much luck with thrift stores, but antique stores are often very good for finding props. Hobby/craft stores are useful when you need to make it from scratch.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
You're thinking of the genre of "Bizarre Magic". I know a thing or two about it.

First off - vendors like Gemini Artifacts and Lebanon Circle are excellent sources, albeit expensive. I know both Dan Baines and Vic Nadata, they're great guys. Dan has one of my top two back stories for getting into magic. The other is Aiden Sinclair. I'm not sure who's first and who's second, though.

Do NOT purchase from Outlaw Effects. Rick has developed a very nasty reputation for taking orders (sometimes into the thousands of dollars) and not delivering because his builders won't work for him any more.

I've never had much luck with thrift stores, but antique stores are often very good for finding props. Hobby/craft stores are useful when you need to make it from scratch.
I knew you’d know something about this topic haha. Thanks mate!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I love bizarre. But it's not the easiest genre of magic to do.

The short version of this is that if you find some cool looking items you can build a story around that and do a show for little to nothing. It's also a genre that is easy to sink, literally, thousands into. Not only with well made electronics and hand aged boxes and props, but a lot of the books end up being limited edition/high end quality. Tony Andruzzi used to make hand-written books/scrolls that sell for thousands these days. I'd say about half of my props come from antique stores, a quarter from established vendors/friends, and the rest are things I've just picked up or made over time.

I recommend studying story telling and performance theory. You'll get a lot of value out of that. It's important to be able to convey the story well, without over-writing it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Heh.

Aaron Alexander, Annemann, TEB3/Traveler/Lary Kuehn, (some) Paul Brook, Eugene Burger, (some) Dee Christopher, Joe Diamond, Joseph Daniels, Iain Dunford, Fisher, Michael Fraughton, (some) Scott Grossberg (if you want readings in there), Luke Jermay, Ormond McGill, Robert E Neale, Henning Nelms (showmanship), Baba Gede Nibo, Matt Parrot (geek magic translates well to bizarre), Eugene Poinc, Paul Prater, Rani Schachnaey, Doc Shiels, Caleb Strange, TC Tahoe, TA Waters, Neil Scryer, Paul Voodini.

Those are authors I have on my shelf and have read.

Others that are well known but I haven't read their work directly: Jim Magus, Professor BC (Did his acting for magicians workshop, excellent stuff), Vince Wilson, Christopher Taylor (electronics/props), David Parr, Andreas Sebring (props), Jim Kleefield...

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. A solid foundation in classic magic is a good idea, too.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Heh.

Aaron Alexander, Annemann, TEB3/Traveler/Lary Kuehn, (some) Paul Brook, Eugene Burger, (some) Dee Christopher, Joe Diamond, Joseph Daniels, Iain Dunford, Fisher, Michael Fraughton, (some) Scott Grossberg (if you want readings in there), Luke Jermay, Ormond McGill, Robert E Neale, Henning Nelms (showmanship), Baba Gede Nibo, Matt Parrot (geek magic translates well to bizarre), Eugene Poinc, Paul Prater, Rani Schachnaey, Doc Shiels, Caleb Strange, TC Tahoe, TA Waters, Neil Scryer, Paul Voodini.

Those are authors I have on my shelf and have read.

Others that are well known but I haven't read their work directly: Jim Magus, Professor BC (Did his acting for magicians workshop, excellent stuff), Vince Wilson, Christopher Taylor (electronics/props), David Parr, Andreas Sebring (props), Jim Kleefield...

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. A solid foundation in classic magic is a good idea, too.
Thanks man!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Not gonna lie, a chop cup or cups and balls have always looked cool and ancient to me personally. Maybe you wanna paint one (or print out some stickers and stick it on it)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There is a great routine in T.A. Waters Mind Myth and Magik involving an old jewelry chest and several talismans. I have an old china tea pot that I'm going to use for my Any Drink Called For routine. I have a lot of ordinary stuff in my magic closet that I've picked up that looks cool, has potential or was on sale - like a black cardboard index card file that will someday house the props for a murder mystery routine. However, a lot of my props are stuff that I've had to track down once I found an effect I want to perform - apple baskets, stainless steel ice buckets -- or stuff that I've had to make or gimmick myself.

A great book that uses classic magic with (somewhat) bizarre presentation is Walt Anthony's Tales of Enchantment.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Capricornian Tales is another one that's high on my list to purchase. But I need to get through some of my "to read" pile before I buy any more. And build a new bookshelf.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results