Magic Pyramid Scheme....(Yeah I know)

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Hey,

I hope that everyone has had a great summer. I myself managed to sneak a way for a bit to visit some family in Florida. Which turned out to be a great opportunity to show my family, new friends, and a few random people alike what I have been working on in terms of magic. Although two things happened during the beginning and end of my trip that I thought you guys would appreciate. The first happened when I was at the airport attempting to board my plane. Having no intents whatsoever of causing anyone on the plane any harm and also having no weapons of any kind on my person I figured that the journey through the TSA metal detectors and such would be smooth. Well I was wrong. Apparently I made the mistake of having a few decks of cards and a case of poker chips in my carry on. I figured that I would pass the time on the plane by working on a few things with cards and chips. Well apparently they considered this a threat to the national security. So much so that they "asked" me to step into a small cube and wait to be patted down and to have my bag searched and swabbed in every single manner conceivable. So I offer this warning to all of my fellow magicians and manipulators alike. Paper playing cards are obviously lethal weapons and therefore belong in your checked bag and not in your carry on. My other fun event happened ironically enough at the same airport when I got back. My ride ended up getting held up with meeting with a client. So I ended up with some downtime. To keep myself sane I popped in my earbuds and started playing around with some flourishes. When out of the corner of my eye I noticed a man pointing in my direction. At first I just ignored it and went about what I was doing. I figured that since we were in an airport that there were thousands of things or people that he could be looking at. I realized however that I was wrong when he came and sat next to me and started talking to me. He asked me to show him some magic. I went and showed him some stuff. I started of small and worked my way up a bit. And ended my favorite way with a burn reveal that I gave to him to keep. I could tell that he was into it. Which put me in a good mood. So much so that I didn't mind that he began to chew my ear off shortly thereafter about how he works for a driving company and was waiting to pick someone up and a bunch of other stuff. Things got a little weird though when he tried to sell me on a scheme that he had to make fake companies and collect "millions of dollars. Im pretty sure that one out of every three or four sentences that came out of his mouth included some kind of laymen magic jargon. i.e. "Just like you use sleight of hand with cards. Well its like that. But with documents." I tried to leave a few times but being that I was trapped in an airport and expected to be in the one spot that I was in I was semi stuck. This went on for a bit until my ride showed up. It got me thinking though. Have any of you had something weird happen because you performed magic for someone?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The only thing better to have with your cards would have been Ricky Jay's Book Cards as Weapons sitting on the top of the bag.

I can't say that I have had a weird experience like the schemer guy, but I had a good laugh about your cards and chips. Penn and Teller do a bit where they are making fun of themselves and magicians walking through the check point at airports and setting off the security.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
The only thing better to have with your cards would have been Ricky Jay's Book Cards as Weapons sitting on the top of the bag.

I would love to see their faces on that one. I'm going to have to pick that up before my next trip. Figure if they are going to stop me why not make it a little fun. The funny thing is that about halfway through my trip I realized that I had my PK ring in one of the smaller pockets of my carry on. I was amazed as to how it didn't even concern them when they checked my bag but my cards did. Makes you wonder what kind of gimmicks you can travel with. And I had hoped that noone would have or will ever have a similar experience to mine. I do not wish any ill will upon my fellow magicians. But I had no idea that Penn and Teller have a bit like that. I have to see it now. Something tells me that I will be able to relate to it ever so slightly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results