Magic Science Project?

Dec 13, 2016
So, my science teacher assigned a science fair project worth quite a few points. I was all set to make a simple yet interesting demonstration to get my easy A. Then, my teacher told me that because she likes my magic tricks so much my project has to be on/involve magic. This teacher is really kind and I hate to disappoint her, so I accepted. My current ideas involve the psychology of direction and blind spots, but I'm not sure how I can demonstrate them effectively (while remaining within the scientific method) without a large amount of staging and preparation. I also considered hypnosis but I don't have much experience in that field; the closest I've come is a pseudo-hypnotic trick that I do to convince someone that they forgot their card, backed up by photographic evidence. Any help or suggestions on topics, tricks, or principles would be appreciated! You guys have much more experience, after all.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
How much time do you have to prepare?

One trick that could work really well in a "study" sort of thing is the paper balls over the shoulder. You can point out how the repetitious action, along with the careful framing, creates a false conclusion in the volunteer's mind. This happens reliably, even when the volunteer is trying to catch you out by trying to follow both hands. I actually used it during a performance/presentation at a major university this past Saturday.

Do study videos of Slydini doing the routine, though. He's the master, and there's a lot of subtle things he does to make it work perfectly every time.

Dec 13, 2016
I'd tentatively say I have about a month or so to prepare.

I'm looking at the routine right now, and I think it would go over well with my class (possibly too well. I would have to make sure they don't yell out what's happening.) My only issue with it is seems that only a slight (or sleight) mistake is needed to throw the whole thing off (correct me if I'm wrong).

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
A friend of mine needed a last minute routine as his MC set for a show and he learned the balls over the shoulder thing the day before and it was a hit (i am not condoning doing something with no practice... lol just that the effect works better than you would think.) To keep the class from ruining it, simply explain that the effect is only going to work for the one participant. Everyone else will be in on it. Please remain silent so that we do not ruin the illusion for the spectator. You are presenting it as science and not magic so they won't really wanna ruin it anyway haha. But i think it could be a great effect that can be easily taught as a science thing. Also watch brain games on netflix if you have time. Plenty of awesome ideas and stuff there

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
When you frame it, you can easily avoid it. When I do it, I say something like this, "I'm about to do two tricks at once. There will be something you all experience out there in the audience, but this one sitting here in the seat will have a completely different experience. Let them have their experience, and you can explain everything to them later, ok? Cool, let's do this."

Side note - this is one of the only times I ever use the word "trick" in my work.

This is actually pretty bullet proof in my experience. The only problem you could run into is if you have a volunteer who is dead set on not enjoying the experience and completely ignoring any directions from you. In that case, I would send them back and find someone who's willing to follow protocol.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Christopher T is spot on. Paper Balls over the head will be phenomenal for this, but I would definitely put some practice into it at home with a few willing volunteers. If my memory serves me right, some guys do this with toilet paper. They have the spectator seated, they extend their fingers and the magician slides a roll of toilet paper onto the fingers almost like a little holder. It plays quite comically when done correctly.

Reactions: HeliosLingo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results