Magic Suggestions

Feb 6, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
What's up guys!
I have been doing flourishing only for a few years now and decided that I wanted to get back into magic.
There are a KAJILLION products out there and I really don't have the money to buy everything. ;)
So this is my "genious" plan to narrow the products down.

I am looking for non gimmicked card magic.
Sleight of hand only tricks/routines.

I have seen many dvd's/books with all of this kind of material in it, but I need to narrow my selection even more.

I need material that I will actually use.
GOOD card magic, STRONG card magic, and AMAZINGLY AWESOME card magic...:eek:

It can be books or dvd's.
Doesn't matter to me, as long as I am going to WANT to perform the material.

All of your input and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks, -Mike-

Edit: The difficulty doesn't matter either.

Aug 18, 2008
Well the magic will be as good as the performer. There is no shortcut to the best tricks. Find what works for you. I will give you my personal favorites, but they might not be the best for you.

The Trilogy uses no gimmicks and has lots of good tricks, many are fairly difficult however. True Astonishments is out, I would look into that. Impossible Card Magic by Ray Cosby is worth looking into.

Feb 6, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
Thanks for your input.
I can do all of the tricks from the trilogy and I love them all.
Material like that is what im looking for, but I need longer routines...

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Welcome back to magic. glad you made the choice.
A lot of people focus on all the new DVDs and what not like the Trilogy and Avenue and stuff. But I'm not really for that stuff. There hasn't been something that has made me feel entertained for quite a while. People want to see magic and see the wonder. I like tricks which make people go WTF instead of "oh... cool....".
Anyways, I perform DM's Angle Zero alot, but thats the only thing i do perform from him. Ray Kosby's Impossible Card Magic is very good. But a few of his tricks are freaking hard to execute. Check out Aldo Colombini's Material, cheap and use worthy. Allan Ackerman is one of the best in my opinion, so is John Carney. Another would be JC Wagner, perfect sleight of hand and a great character. If you like for of the flashy stuff, check out Zenneth Kok who is one of Asia's bests. All these guy's materials are great for the real world. Their style is flawless and can fool magicians as well as laymen.
Gimmick's arent that bad. They can do things impromptu cant. For example, Joshua Jay's Split Decision kills everytime. Autograph by Justin Miller just came out, a great routine. TNR and Fire In the Hole by Huron Low is amazing. John Bannon has some of the best stuff ever. David Solomon i think is one as well.

Dec 26, 2007
The 'Dear Mr Fantasy' or 'Smoke and Mirrors' books by John Bannon are superb and you will use everything. Unfortunately not all of the effect use cards, but enough do to make them both a worthy purchase. I would also reccommend the 'Art of Astonishment' series as there is literally a ton of material in there.

Fibally, although i don't own this book, (but i intend to get it soon) 'Maximum Entertainment' By Ken Webber i believe is an excellent book and allows you to utilize every effect to its full dramatical potential.

Jun 14, 2008
Get brainstorm Vol. 2 (I don't have vol. 1 so I cant recommend it!), all the effects are AMAZING, they absolutely destroy audiences!!

Feb 6, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
Thanks for your suggestions!:D
I have already emailed John Bannon about Dear Mr. Fantasy.
I have had 4 refrences to that book now so I know it must be good.
Any other refrences are welcome.:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results