Magic with Gimmicks

Nov 9, 2007
I am not sure if I could ask in this way. I would like to know if there is any magic (with a proper name), that can be perform without any sleight of hand (in terms of cards and etc.), because I just started out with card magic and have bought RRTCM dvd sets but I clearly know that I need a period of time to practice in order to perform that. Meanwhile, I would like to know some magics which can be performed simply by using gimmicks. Are there any? I wonder UV nightshades is this kind of magic? If so, I am planning to get that soon. Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you.

Why don't you take a look around here on T11?

- Distortion
- Panic
- Digital Dissolve (suspended for now)

But there are COUNTLESS gimmick effects out there. Literally, unable to count.

- Rising Card
- Invisible Deck
- Greed
- In A Flash
- The Raven
- Haunted Deck
- Pen Through Dollar Bill

The list goes on and on and on and on.....and on. Just look around on different sites. Hope I helped! :)

Anthony Bass

Aug 31, 2007
I think it's great that as a beginner, you are not getting reeled in to purchase "the latest and greatest" gimmicks, and instead working hard on your sleight-of-hand. That's always good to hear. I think that once you have some good tricks from RRTCM in your repertoire, you can think about moving on to some gimmicks like Invisible Deck (which is AMAZING no matter what skill level you are). Remember that gimmicks are good, but not too many. They're like salt - good for you, but not if used too much. So keep an even balance of sleight-of-hand and gimmicks, and you'll be fine. :)

John

C

clarrus

I would highly recommend the Royal Road to Card Magic. That is a great book/dvd for beginners and even people who have already been doing this for a while. This is will really set you up.

Dec 1, 2007
There are so many gimmicked effects out there, but your best bet would be to run a Google search for some gimmicked effects!

Mitchell

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks guys. I wonder is it that distortion, panic, etc in T11 are all gimmicked magic without any needs for sleights of hand? Recently I am practicing through RRTCM hardly and planning to buy some so called "more common" gimmicked magic. I wonder if rising card, invisible deck that you guys recommended are just a deck of gimmicked card? Do they include any manuals to teach us how to perform the trick? If not, how can I know how to perform them? Thank you.

The invisible deck does come with instructions on how to use it. The tricks like Panic, and Distortion require a little bit of sleight of hand but nothing too difficult. But really to me gimmicks are great when used in moderation because with some you don't really end clean so sleight of hand is needed to ditch the gimmick.

Luis

Not to be a mean old goat,

But are you into this just to be able to perform quick tricks without dedication?
I mean sure you can use and perform your magic with the gimmicks while you are practicing your sleight of hand. But isn't it better to perform when you have nailed your sleight of hand, use of gimmicks and performance?

Actually good performance and distraction can take the heat away from your hands so you can get away with a fairly sloppy hand work.. though it is not recomended..

That said.. I'd recommend Self Tying Shoelace for a starter magician such as yourself :)
And failing to practice is like practicing to fail.. (ok I apologise for those lame closing words.. but you know what I mean )

Thanks guys. I wonder is it that distortion, panic, etc in T11 are all gimmicked magic without any needs for sleights of hand? Recently I am practicing through RRTCM hardly and planning to buy some so called "more common" gimmicked magic. I wonder if rising card, invisible deck that you guys recommended are just a deck of gimmicked card? Do they include any manuals to teach us how to perform the trick? If not, how can I know how to perform them? Thank you.

Distortion, Panic, and TnR are all gimmicks, but they do involve some sleight of hand. They all come with a DVD; TnR can be purchased with a DVD or Download. Both have detailed instructions.

Yes, invisible card and rising card are gimmicked.

If you want to practice sleight of hand but using gimmicks, check out the following...

-Svengali Deck :: Wonderful gimmick, wonderful magic, endless possibilities.
-Invisible Deck :: Blows people's mind. Doesn't require much sleight.
-Rising Card :: Many variations, but self rising doesn't require much sleight.
-CardToon :: Requires a little sleight, great reaction.

Enjoy!

- sky_lark

Sep 1, 2007
-Svengali Deck :: Wonderful gimmick, wonderful magic, endless possibilities.
-Invisible Deck :: Blows people's mind. Doesn't require much sleight.
-Rising Card :: Many variations, but self rising doesn't require much sleight.
-CardToon :: Requires a little sleight, great reaction.

These are very good suggestions, specially the Svengali Deck. That was the first trick I bought, along with a floating dollar bill. I would recommend learning some packet tricks. There are some good ones out there that teach you false counts and some good simple sleights. That is how I learned glides, doubles and counts. I still use those slights even today.
Self workers may be the way to go as well. Most of them rely on set ups, mathematical principles or cards being returned at a specific spot in the deck. I still do self workers in my routine, and it is funny because most people find those as more impossible than other tricks I do.

But more important than anything is for you to do what you want, what you like, what you enjoy.

Juan.

Not to be a mean old goat,

But are you into this just to be able to perform quick tricks without dedication?
I mean sure you can use and perform your magic with the gimmicks while you are practicing your sleight of hand. But isn't it better to perform when you have nailed your sleight of hand, use of gimmicks and performance?

Actually good performance and distraction can take the heat away from your hands so you can get away with a fairly sloppy hand work.. though it is not recomended..

That said.. I'd recommend Self Tying Shoelace for a starter magician such as yourself :)
And failing to practice is like practicing to fail.. (ok I apologise for those lame closing words.. but you know what I mean )

I don't mean to argue but are you saying that gimmicked tricks are for the lazy magician because they are quick? correct me if I am wrong.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results