Magic with Water

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I've always been into PK type effects, they can be the epitome of simple gimmicks hitting very hard. Loops are great, PK rings are great, I love the feel of that sort of effect. However, the items that have always been out of my psychokinetic grasp are liquids. The most common substance on the planet aside from oxygen, and I can't do anything with it. Does anyone know of any hard hitting effects involving water? Not the upside down water bottle by the way, everyone's seen that by now.

Sep 1, 2007
Not PK water by any stretch, but there are some effects out there. Kenton Knepper has an obscure text floating around in which he uses both fire and water for the purpose of diving information, changing writing, etc.

Beyond that, you might want to do some research on chemistry. Obvious but impractical answers would include non-Newtonian liquids and ferrofluids. But I believe you may actually be able to acquire hydrophobic treatments for solid objects. What it does is... actually, it would be quicker just to show you:

[video=youtube;-1xpONIYaeQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1xpONIYaeQ[/video]

Wrangling this stuff would be difficult and likely involve some safety training, but if you have the time and resources to set it up, it would be pretty unique. The sand video is only one of countless possible applications.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Oh yes, Hydrophobic objects have always been an interesting thought for me. I've always considered what I could do with that object as a magic effect. Now they've gone beyond hydrophobic apparently and made superhydrophobic treatment for objects. Here are a couple other applications for superhydrophobic objects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7is6r6zXFDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkLbVLGcn-A

But back to the matter at hand. Yes, it appears that some chemistry may be necessary to trifle with water as a magic element. I recall seeing a water to wine type effect but it wasn't really my style. You also mentioned ferrofluids, which has been the closest thing to PK liquid I can find. At this point, it becomes a matter of making a translucent ferrofluid. Then you would have an amazing tool, a water-like object with magnetic properties.

Sep 1, 2007
For a PK effect, it occurs to me that a treated surface and a psychological force makes for a pretty good effect.

Ask someone to think of a geometrical shape, in other words force them to think of a triangle. You have a surface ready with the excuse that you don't want to just dump colored water on someone else's property. A drop of food coloring in a bottle of water to make it visible. Ask them to pour the water on the surface while you do your best acting job trying to concentrate on willing the water to form a triangle.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
A good convincer for that trick would be to treat only one side of surface and then pour water on the untreated side to show that it's just a normal surface. Pick up the small square of treated glass, showing both sides and then just place it back down with the treated side facing up this time and you're ready to go. You could treat a drink coaster, and have it set up on a table. That also gives you a reason to have a liquid there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results