Magician foolers?

Sep 14, 2009
Just curious, but what do some of your guys do for magician foolers?

I know its been brought up many times, but yes.

Thanks

Jun 1, 2009
Ramjillock (sp?) from Past Midnight by Benjamin Earl.
Can't really think of anything else.
Its fun to have some stuff to fool magicians, but that shouldn't be your goal.

What's really cool is to take old stuff that most people forget about and use it because they won't know. Or create your own methods for classic tricks, it throws them off because they haven't seen it before.

But again, your goal is to entertain (maybe fool) laymen, not magicians.

Just my two cents.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Do one or two sleight of hand routines that every magician knows and then do either a key-card principle trick or maybe even use a marked deck.

If the first few routines are very refined and perfectly executed they'll be looking for methods that don't exist in the second set of magic. It's like a story I ready about Harry Lorayne when he was teaching his memory courses. He would 'memorize' a deck of cards in front of his students (actually using a stack) and then provide a demonstration of which one was missing by naming them before he dealt them and when one wasn't right he knew it was the one.

When he did this it was easy for him to get away with using a stack because everyone thought he was using his genuine memory. Given his abilities he could easily use pure memory, but it's easier to appear to.

I can't remember where I read this, but the magician who wrote it said he does the same (or similar) feat with genuine memory techniques because it would be harder for him to fake it. He's known as a sleight of hand card man. Harry Lorayne, who is an accomplished magician, isn't known for his magical knowledge, but his memory abilities.

Magicians are usually fooled by any method that spectators would incorrectly guess about other tricks. If a spectator says 'It's up his sleeve, or he palmed it, or it's a marked deck' most of the magicians would laugh and know it was different. If you actually used key cards and marked decks then magicians will usually be looking for the sleights.

I'll leave you with this :: Teller in Egypt

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Do something original and never seen before. Also something self working is great because the magician would think you would sleights and he would try and catch you out but when you are doing something selfworking its the last thing they will think off. something self working has to have the best showmanship

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I had this 13 year old do a trick for me one time and fooled me soooooooooooooo hard. I'm like watching his hands for any sleights and I don't see any at all. I can't figure out what he did so I offer to teach him something I came up with in exchange for that trick. Then I find out all he did was look at the card the same time I did. /facepalm.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Take your pick

Direct Link

Cross 25

Weight

Paraspell

Buried Treasure

These are all from the same books so take your pick, also these are only a few of them

Dec 18, 2009
I either do something self-working or something dan and dave. I also do the divining rod by erdnase without shanking the card with a knife... It's ridiculously easy and surprisingly effective. I don't perform often for magicians though. Oh and I also do gambling demonstrations for them. Although they might know the methods they are very hard to do. EDIT: If they don't have The Paper Engine then Aaron's stuff is totally sick. Even for magicians.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
magic shouldn't be done for magicians, except to show technique, or to show different concepts/ideas.

-My version of Total Coincidence by Juan Tamariz
-Diplopia by Paul Vigil

or my favourites for stuck up magicians looking to catch me out:
-Gator Boots
-Danny Garcia's Sam the Bellhop

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
overkill by paul harris is a perfect magician fooler.

I don't usually work too much on magician or webcam foolers, I kind of find them a waste of time. But the paul harris effect above is great.

Sep 14, 2009
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate your "knowledge."

To those that do not believe magic is for other magicians, take a look at Tony Slydini.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
RAP, slydini was different because he spent the better part of his career performing for magicians. Hardly ever used his awesome misdirection skills on laymen. He did, however, get a great reputation amongst magicians for his skill, and is famous.

Marlo, on the other hand, did perform for laymen. Yes, he performed for magicians and created something like 60 books, but he still was a great performer. Slydini had the bad habit of belittling his audience because they couldn't catch him. "You no see the coin go? That's because you no watch!" ect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results