Magicians' Party in AGT This Year?

Aug 15, 2017
Well, I have never closely followed AGT (for, well, obvious reasons) and so, the only way I would discover magicians and their acts on AGT is through there performance videos. Through those videos, I even got to know many magicians whom I admire today. If not for those AGT videos, I would have never found them tbh (Eg, Eric Jones).

But this year...I have a feeling it's gonna be different...

Till now, there's Shin Lim and Sacred Riana on the show. I bet more magicians will show up soon.
It will be really interesting to see if magic finally trumps over music and dance. I am aware it has in the past, but well...just saying...if Shin Lim makes it to the final, I have a feeling his act will be miles beyond the acts of Mat Franco, Richard Jones or Collins Key.

And I don't think I need to say anything about Sacred Riana.

Will this be a magicians' year on AGT?

AND IF IT IS...if one of our fellow magicians DO win...

Will it benefit other magicians in the sense that people will be more aware of magic?

Or will we again have to face compliments like,"You have copied Criss Angel, haven't you? Anyways, it was really really good!"

PS:-Well, was just curious how these things affect the magician community because I cannot help feeling the Blain-Dynamo-Angel craze has died out somewhat and the media will be eager to create another Blaine, another Angel, another Dynamo...and AGT this year gives them the perfect oppurtinity.

PPS:- Needless to say, I wish all the best of luck to all the magicians appearing and going to appear on such shows. May the ''force'' (or the gaffed deck, or the key card, whatever) be with you! :)

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's always good to see more magic in the public arena regardless of where that may be.

AGT does have a tendency to lean toward musical performance likely for the financial and ease of distribution components.

Regardless I'd love to see more magicians proceed further and for the public to see the capabilities of modern performers like Shin Lim.

Time will tell.

B.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think they're recognizing that magic is on an upswing of popularity and they are capitalizing on that. Will a magician win? No idea. Honestly, I think it's better for most magicians if they do well but don't win.

AGT's contract is ... restrictive. A savvy magician would probably benefit more from the advertising potential of having done well on the show, than actually being bound by whatever distribution contract they have to use if they win.

I do like that magic is getting more exposure - particularly that different types of magic are coming to light. When I was a kid there was only stage magic on TV. Then Blaine came along and there was some stage stuff, and a bunch of people trying to be Blaingelymo. Now that folks like Aiden Sinclair, Oz Perlman, Rianna, and other folks who do more unusual styles of magic are getting some spotlight it's easier to convince clients that not all magicians are birthday clowns.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results