Making Cards Last Longer

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Making Cards Last Longer

Lately I have noticed quite a few members asking about various ways to extend the life of their cards. I'm going to share some of the ways that have worked for me, and debunk some popular rumours. If you have any of your own advice you would like to add, feel free to do so.

WASH YOUR HANDS
First things first, the best thing you can do to make your cards last longer is to protect them from their worst enemy. The number one killer of playing cards is moisture. Basically, if your cards meet something wet, they meet their death.
Here's something you can do to help eliminate moisture in the form of sweat. Next time, before you go to practice or perform, wash your hands in cold soapy water. Because the water is cold, your hands will stay dry for much longer. This also helps to keep your cards clean. Have you ever noticed how the edges sometimes get dirt on them? That's all from your hands, doing this will stop that from happening. Make sure to dry your hands thouroughly when you are done.

CARD HANDLING HABITS
If you're like me, you may have developed some habits while handling cards. If you're they type of person who tends to spring cards repeatedly, be aware of this -- they will bend. The best way to keep from ruining your cards while handling them is to treat them lightly, if that makes any sense. Flourishes such as Under Pressure can also take a real toll on your cards. Just be sensible about the way you treat your cards, they have feelings too.

STORAGE
Get ready for the magic word --- Sillica Gel. Have you ever seen those little white packets that come with a pair of shoes? Those are called Sillica Gel packets, and they help to eliminate moisture in the air. I put a bunch of these in a sealed box with my cards so I can sleep at night. Trust me, it works.

CARD CLIPS
Another surefire way to preserve your cards is to buy a card clip. A card clip is a piece of metal that you place your cards into when you aren't using them. They help to keep your cards flat while in the box. One word of advice, don't settle for anything less than a Porper Clip.

THE FRIDGE RUMOUR
Lots of people say that if you put a deck of cards in the fridge, it will make them as good as new.... It's a lie! There's a buttload of moisture in your fridge, something we know is baaad.

That's all for now! I'll add more later.

Feb 17, 2008
K-W, ON, Canada
STORAGE
Get ready for the magic word --- Sillica Gel. Have you ever seen those little white packets that come with a pair of shoes? Those are called Sillica Gel packets, and they help to eliminate moisture in the air. I put a bunch of these in a sealed box with my cards so I can sleep at night. Trust me, it works.

It's funny how obvious that seems. Nice suggestion, I will try it. :)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Putting your cards in the fridge will not make them like new, like you said, there's too much moisture. However, if you put them in a Ziploc bag or something and stick them in there, it will help out. When my family went to the Grand Canyon this Christmas and hiked to the bottom (4th time), I stuck a deck of cards in a plastic bag with my toothbrush and all that and threw it in my pack. I was surprised to find that after 8 1/2 hours of being there in the cold, they were like new. Of course, then they got ruined because we played cards with them and they had dirt and stuff. I don't know if it's only temporary or not, but it does work. Try it out!

Jan 6, 2008
www.myspace.com
Hmmm, haven't tried the fridge rumor yet; but I defintly will.
On everything else... I agree; I absolutley love Silicia Gel, it's done wonders in my storage bin.

--
Philip:Lupo

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Just to let you know, I haven't actually tried cards in the Ziploc bag in the fridge thing, but I'm assuming it would work there if it worked in the Canyon. You could probably throw them outside, as well (in a Ziplog bag)... assuming cold right now where you live, of course.

Sep 1, 2007
i also put my cards in the fridge,maybe some put their cards in the fridge for a long time thats why it absorbs too much moisture, when i'll put my cards in the fridge for a long time i try to wrap the cards in towel before putting it in fridge

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results