Marketing w/ Magic 101...what it takes to be a pro.

*This post is for people that actually want to do something with magic, and give some insight into what it takes to actually make money with magic. If this ain't you, just pass it by. It's a pretty long read. LOL!*

------------------------------------

Want to make a living performing magic? Want to start doing more gigs? Then you need to realize that there is more to magic than magic. I mention this time and time again that it's better to be a mediocre magician and an excellent people person than a mediocre people person and an excellent magician.

One thing is that you have to be an entertainer. And there is a huge difference between a magician and entertainer. A magician does tricks. An entertainer does magic, but makes everything they do entertaining. This is where patter comes into play, and just having a HUGE PERSONALITY. If you want to be successful in magic, it’s crucial that you have a great personality, and get the audience to love you. I’ve also said before that if you get them you love you; they’ll love what you do. It’s that simple (well…maybe not, but you get the point. LOL!).

Myself, I don't think of myself as a magician. I'm an entertainer that does magic. Totally different. A magician needs 5 tricks to fill a 30 minute show. An entertainer can take 3 tricks and do a 40 minute show and have the audience think that it was still too short. What are you?

Criss Angel is a magician. David Blaine is a magician. They’re boring, and would never be able to get the big paying gigs if it weren’t for their name. They’re not entertainers. What’s entertaining about a magician that says “look, watch…here it goes. Watch closely…did you see it?” Nothing! That’s what!

Michael Finney is an entertainer. Denny Haney is an entertainer. Jay Sankey is an entertainer. If you don’t know who the first two people I named are, then shame on you! Those people are REAL ENTERTAINERS. They entertain with magic, and can take 3 simple tricks and turn them into a professional show. That’s the difference between a magician, and someone that entertains with magic.

You also have to be a sales person. Someone that can close a sale, and make people believe that they need to hire a magician for their next event. This is where sales and marketing comes into play. It makes a huge difference, and definitely helps. You have to know how to find a target audience, and market towards them. Your whole style should be towards your target audience.

Example. Say you want to start working the corporate market. That means your going to be marketing your shows towards the corporate guys. You need everything to reflect that. Your business card is not going to be filled with balloons and bunnies if you’re trying to get the corporate shows. Your website isn’t going to have pictures of you performing at your cousin’s b-day party while you’re dressed in jeans. No, you need to reflect what you it is you do. You need testimonials from big companies. Pictures of you performing for big companies, such as Coca-Cola, NASCAR, Budweiser. Those are just some examples of picking a target audience and marketing towards them.

Another aspect of being a professional magician and getting more gigs is being pro-active. You can’t just sit on your ass all day and wait for the phone to ring. If you do that, your phone is going to be pretty quiet. Instead, you have to get out there and find them! That is the only way to get more gigs.

So…how exactly do you get more events planned, and start booking more gigs? Well, you start finding them.

Well...how do you do that?

1. Sub-contracting. Call up some local places that could use a magician, or where people go to for parties. Maybe a party store, arts and crafts store, etc. Talk with the owner and try to get permission to put some business cards/flyers around their store. A party store would be perfect IMO. People going there to get some stuff for their son's b-day party, and bam! An advertisement for a magician right there. Perfect! It might be more last-minute gigs (as people pick that sort of stuff up only a couple days before), but still a gig none the less.

2. Schools. See if you can buy some advertisement in some local elementary school. I know some have flyers/papers that go home to the students monthly, with events and such coming up. I think at my elementary school they sold the space on there to help cover the cost of various events throughout the year. Ask around.

3. Grocery stores/Food chains (McDonalds, Burger king, etc) often have bulletin boards for you to post stuff on. Throw some flyers on there, and have some slips with your contact info on it. My local Baskin Robins also has something like this. Check with places like Coldstone, Toys R Us, KB Toys, etc.

Of course, this all comes back to picking a market, and selling yourself as the top magician for that market. The ideas above are for people looking to pick up more b-day gigs, but could work for other areas of magic. You just have to be creative, and give it some thought.

There is also this saying I think, that goes…”If you work your numbers, your numbers will work for you.” What does this mean, and what numbers am I talking about? Well, it goes with sales. There are 3 numbers involved. The first one is the number of people you call. Those are your contacts. Say you call 20 contacts. The second one is the number of people that agree to listen to your presentation. You pitch 10 presentations. The last one is the number of people that say yes, and hire you. Say 2 people hire you. So your numbers are 20:10:2.

You called 20 people, made 10 presentations, and booked 2 gigs. In theory, if you increase your contacts to 40 people, you make 20 presentations, and book 4 gigs. That’s what I’m talking about when I mention numbers. Eventually, they start to even out and will start being more consistent. Then you can use your numbers to help determine how many shows you plan to do. But of course, it’s all in theory. Many things can cause them to change, such as location, time of year, other important things happening, etc.

But, you get the point. And you're probably asking yourself, what's the point of this thread? To give you an idea of what it takes to be a professional magician. It's not just performing magic and passing out business cards. If that's all you do, it's not going to get you very far. You have to take the initiative and go out there and find the gigs. There's moe to magic than magic...that's a fact.

So…sorry for this long-winded post, but these are just a few things I thought I’d touch on. If you read all this, then thank you. But also, I hope you got something out of it that can be of use to you, and actually help further your magic and help make you some money. Please, don’t hesitate to PM me if I can be of more help to any of you. It would be my pleasure.

Best.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY nice post man. I read it all and loved every word. Now that i think of it, youre right, Criss and David are just magicians. They never have any patter for what they do. Another thing that might help get more gigs is simply go out on the streets and incorperate your buisness card into a trick. Such as stigmata or just produce it from a simple backpalm.

Excellent Stuff man!

Here's my thoughts:

I agree with you on the entertainment aspect. Magician's that are sucessful (for the most part) are entertainers. Now, does this mean that all you move monkeys have to give up on working on the latest trick or move all the time? No. It just means that you focus on your entertaining magic for audiences, and your magic for magicians at another point.

A good example of this would be when I stopped in the local magic shop about a month ago. I was performing for some magicians, doing a fairly difficult routine. At the time, I was not focusing on presentation or entertainment. In the end, the magicians were impressed, but the one spectator that was a layman did not find it very interesting. My mentor performed a very simple routine next, and killed the layman with the entertainment and showmanship. This is what matters.

Having fun is vital. Don't take yourself too seriously. This will help you become more entertaining. If you're interested in this kind of thing, I cannot stress buying the book "Maximum Entertainment" by Ken Weber more. It's quite the manual for this stuff.

Steve's ideas on marketing are spot on: Be proactive. However, make sure you market to your target audience. Don't be posting your ads for corporate gigs in the wrong place. Find out who you are, and who your target audience is. Put yourself in their shoes: How would you find yourself?

Just my 2 cents, excellent article.

J.

Sep 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Alvo did a podcast recently with my good friend Tom Kryzstof
http://alvo.libsyn.com

Tom is a pro (full time) magician. I have learned so much from him.

He has been my mentor for a few years now. He is always on the go. If its one thing I have noticed with Tom is that he will talk to anyone and everyone.
Tom helped remind me that by performing for people your not just always there to entertain, but also create contacts as well. If you present yourself well people will want to see more of you.

If you don't carry such a high ego above your head and don't seem cocky, you will meet people who want to see more of you.

Even with Tom being so busy all the time, he is so good at creating more contacts and being able to sell himself well.

Tom is very professional, but hes still relaxed at the same time. He's not afraid to go after his goal.

One of the main things I have learned from Tom, is that if you want something, you just have to go and get it if you feel you are prepared for it.

I filmed a TV Special with Tom and when I was filming him at a restaurant I learned so much from him, being able to present yourself well and just being relaxed. If you feel good, so will the spectators. He can connect with them on their level. Because of that people will want to see more of him. And that right there is a big part of booking shows. Being able to sell yourself without creating such a huge ego for yourself.

As a side note I highly recommend picking up his Go Pro dvd's when they come out on Penguin. You will learn so much. Tom has opened my eyes so much in the art of magic.

I'm glad to see this podcast and hope to hear and see more from Tom in the future here in the public magic community.

-Tim Olsen

Thanks for all the replies guys!

As with every thread I post, my goal is always to provide something that people can take away from it. I have no problem trying to help those that want to help themselves. While it might be a long post, I really do hope that everyone (that wants to) can take something away from it, and add to it, and that's what makes a productive thread.

Thanks!
Steve

EDIT: Jon hit the nail on the head with his post. Everything he said was spot on, without a doubt. Thanks bro!

My My, such brilliance from such a young man. I wonder where he gets it?

This post is dead on. Steve has given you guys ( for free ) what it took me years of struggling and hard knocks to get. I urge you all to save this thread to your computers and read it once a week until it is burned into your minds.
Steve is a true up and coming pro and I feel certain we can expect big things from this little punk kid ( kidding steve ).

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

My My, such brilliance from such a young man. I wonder where he gets it?

This post is dead on. Steve has given you guys ( for free ) what it took me years of struggling and hard knocks to get. I urge you all to save this thread to your computers and read it once a week until it is burned into your minds.
Steve is a true up and coming pro and I feel certain we can expect big things from this little punk kid ( kidding steve ).

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

Thanks Curtis!

I guess that it's you, and a handful of others (mainly on The Magic Cafe) that have influenced me and actually taught me something practical about real-world performing. Hell, before recently I didn't talk to you a whole lot, now I'm always harassing you and shit! LOL! (don't block my cell though...:D).

Thanks bro, I really appreciate it!
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Another couple of years and you could put out a book on this subject.

Have you looked into BNI at all?

Very good!

I look forward to hearing more in this forum. I live in Orlando, Fl and me and my friend Jason Wethington have an entire wokshop based on getting gigs...mostly restaurants. We have lectured at Bristol, VA for the Twin City Convention and just recently in Charlotte, NC for the first annual Carolina Close-up Convention (formerly known as the East Coast Super Session (E.C.S.S). Everyone at both conventions had very positive things to say including Eric Jones, Daniel Garcia, Justin Miller, Chastain Criswell, and Robert Moreland. Hopefully I can contribute just as much info as you have. Thanks for your time.

-Michael Eaton

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I saved that to my computer.
This should be stickied somewhere.
I don't know if it should be stickied in this forum, but someone somewhere should sticky it...

Sep 1, 2007
You've given us plenty of wisdom to think about, I just thought I'd pitch in with what I could offer.

I've been a member of BNI since June and things are starting to kick in. I'm settling that gig with The Diesel in the next couple of weeks and one of the people in my chapter also knows the owner of one of the restaurants I'm looking to audition for. Now that I'm also planning to offer group magic classes to kids, a lot of the people in the chapter are checking up on their contacts for families who'd like to sign their kids up as well as getting me referrals for venues.

Naturally, I'm expected to keep my ears open and return the favor to them, but that's what makes the system work.

If any of you are going pro and haven't looked into BNI yet, I highly recommend it.

Sep 1, 2007
You're most welcome. I really hope you find a great chapter you can bond with.

This is purely anecdotal, but the founder of BNI, Ivan Misner, is actually into magic himself. He's a member of The Magic Castle and has used his hobby as a presentational tool. He once made a TV appearance where he wanted to produce one of his books from a flame with flashpaper. He was worried that with the studio lighting the flashpaper burning wouldn't show up properly, so he used extra. A lot of extra, that is. He ended up setting the book on fire by accident

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results