Master Magician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2007
New York City
When your audience tells you you are the best magicians that they ever seen that's when you know you are close to being a master magician.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
A "Master" of anything is typically someone that has dedicated a huge portion of their life to a given craft or skill. In the Martial Arts world as well as the more occult realms of spirituality one is typically seen as being little more than an educated neophyte even after a decade's study... in Druidism in fact, you don't reach the first levels of the order until 20+ years of study and proving your dedication.

In magic... well, I've been dabbling in it since 1963... many consider me a "Master" but there are qualifiers to that in that I only hold an expert's view in two primary areas of magic; Stage Illusion and Mentalism. Granted, I know a bit here and there on other areas of study such as escapes (my "third" specialty) but I know squat when it comes to playing cards, coin work and general close-up/manipulation type work. Even though I did a Dove & Billiard Ball act years ago, I'm quite stupid and "basic" when it comes to my abilities in those areas... the moral of the story being, you aren't going to find a "True" master of all things nor is anyone likely to ever fall into that status... mainly due to the fact that there is just too much to learn and though you might read about it or even own an effect, does not mean you "KNOW" it or are a "master" of it.

On another forum I've spent much of the past month trying to get a wannabe Illusionist to understand that each major illusion has little "tricks" to them when it comes to "selling" the effect as well as variations of design and even method of operation that can prove either a boon or a detriment to the performer... certain versions not lending themselves well to performance in certain types of venues where others work quite nicely.

I know that this is distracting to most and too, I've been a bit spoilt when it comes to hands-on exposure to the various technologies that are out there... not many people I know own and or have access to nearly a dozen versions of the same effect and yet, when it comes to the Asrah and several other illusions, I've been there -- I'm the guy that has had "all the toys" so to speak. I don't say that to brag, but to show how much is involved when one is EARNING the title of "Master Magician" -- we are few and far between.

Know that there are major Stage Magicians in our world who are totally oblivious as to what, for an example, Mentalism is or how it is accomplished. They know their area of magic but that's the extent to their knowledge and it takes years to change such realities. For me it was a matter of doing a traditions as well as macabre styled stage show for most 1970s and well into the early 90s. Somewhere in the mix I started dabbling more and more with Mentalism, mainly due to the fact that I loved the more esoteric style of performance and the idea of creating magic that felt "real" vs. the corny crap I'd been doing since I was nine years old... then too, Richiardi was one of my primary inspirations so this transition was to be expected (not to mention a family legacy that lent itself exceptionally well to said roles).

As an "Illusionist" and "Illusion Technician" I did well and even won a bit of notoriety when partnered with the late Ken Whitaker and building a company in Las Vegas known as CREATIVE ILLUSIONS. But here you can see a glimpse as to the "price" that comes with the title of being a "Master" magician -- the contempt, greed and under-handed manner of others driving Kenny to his grave and essentially chasing me out of the situation in that Ken's High School chum and "silent" partner (a coke head) ruined everything he and I had built... such instances aren't unusual in our world.

My point here is that the level of "Mastery" always comes with a wake of broken hearts, lost dreams and serious disappointments; the Masters are a worn and oft times bitter lot for it is a role involving high stakes. With those high stakes you are looking at YEARS of dedication and passion e.g. the typical "Master" has more than a bit of grey in his temples or beard and frequently, a less passionate sense of enthusiasm when it comes to chatting it up with the gang.

I hope I've helped refine things a bit for you in this reply. I know that some of it reads a bit "arrogant" or even "elitist" but I take on that title and mantel only because it has been given to me by young people such as yourself as well as my peers... people that I look up to but who likewise look up to me and extend to me credit as it is due. Anyone that knows me however will sustain the fact that I'm just a lunatic... :D

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Dec 14, 2007
"Master Magician" like "Master Hypnotist" is one of those archaic terms that some magicians still use to try to sell themselves to the gullible. There is no system in magic which confers any titles that have any meaning . I think it's nice that the Magic Circle at least limits membership to the level of MIMC with gold star, but even then I do not know if there is anything standardized about that which speaks to the larger world outside of its clubhouse doors. (Having said that, it would not be an honor I would turn down.)

But calling yourself "Master Magician" is no different from someone saying they have "taken the world by storm" or "are changing the face of magic" or are "one of magic's rising stars" or snapping photos of themselves with rabbit and hat. It's a tired cliche.

Brad Henderson

Jan 23, 2018
The truth is there is only one MASTER MAGICIAN. It is an award/title that is pasted down from a senior recipient to a younger magician who has proven himself deserving of the title. The title has always been past onto a male magician, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be awarded to a women in the future. The current person to hold the title Master Magician is Lance Burton. He was awarded this title in a ceremony in which Master Magician Lee Grable bestowed the title to Lance.
If someone other that Lance a Burton tells you they are a master magician, they are lying.
https://ariannblack.com/master-magician/what-is-a-master-magician-2/

Jan 23, 2018
Why are we bumping a thread from more than 10 years ago? lol
Not sure, I just ran across this doing some research and me being a member here seen this so I figured I'd butt in. My bad lol, I didn't look at the date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results