Master of Illusion... nothing new?

Im watching Masters of Illusion as i type this, watching i believe Kevin James.
While i respect any magicians act and i am enjoying the show very much. What upsets me about what i am watching is that Kevin James performing the floating paper into rose effect...which is fine, except that David Copperfield, too many years ago performing the effect with the exact exact expressions and motions that copperfield did.

Now i do effects ALOT of magicians do, and effects other magicians have created but at some point or another i try to make them somewhat original or change up patter or the motions. But i am very dissapointed to see someone who is labeled as a "Master" of Illusion while they are doing something quote on quote "Word for word" the way another has already done it.
UNLESS of course Kevin James is the creator of this, which in that case Copperfield is at fault.

But yea, the show is great, just did not like that little minor thing that it basically is the same exact way Copperfield did it, with basically almost no changes at all.

Jan 13, 2008
UNLESS of course Kevin James is the creator of this, which in that case Copperfield is at fault.
He is, indeed, the creator of the effect. He even has a very detailed DVD (previously a video cassette tape) out explaining his Floating Rose routine, from start to finish. On the DVD he mentions that Copperfield tweaked it a bit (I can't explain what without exposing the effect). The phases stayed the same, but the particular "set-up" changed slightly. From what I understand (I didn't see the show today), Kevin performs it with a different set-up. However, Kevin did come up with all of the phases to the routine.

With that said, neither of them are at "fault", seeing as neither of them did anything wrong. Kevin James created and perfected the effect, and David Copperfield performs it as well (he likely paid a substantial sum of money to be able to do so). No harm, no foul.

I find it wonderful that Kevin James is still performing his signature effect, seeing as it's a great one. :)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It's great that he is using his signature effect, tho you'd kind of expect him to come up with new and better stuff. Specially stuff that's not released and that not many people know about.

He's an amazing performer and has had a lot of his stuff used by Copperfield and Criss Angel (specially the lady being cut in half and then running away.)

Jan 13, 2008
...which was actually done WITHOUT permission from kevin...sad really that some folks in our biz have complete disregard for creators/inventers, builders, and others which have come before them
I didn't know that, yet I'm not really surprised. That is a sad thing that that happens.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
...which was actually done WITHOUT permission from kevin...sad really that some folks in our biz have complete disregard for creators/inventers, builders, and others which have come before them

That's the thing with Criss he really doesn't care who's stuff he steals. You know the walking on water effect he did. Well that was also some body else's effect and the guy didn't want him to do it as well. The same can be said for the Box escape in the wood chipper and I am pretty sure there are a ton of other things he's done without the creators consent. This is pretty much why a lot of the top guys in business don't like him. I do wonder if Banachek every tried to put him in his place. I mean I doubt Criss would tell him off, seeing has Banacheks influence would most likely end his career in the blink of an eye.

Anyways I was way off topic. I did find it odd that Kevin performed the effect (it is awesome) But you'd kind of expect him to perform something that only he's been doing.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yes I know that, but I am pretty sure Banachek had a ton of back stage power and influence. Which is why Criss Angel probably didn't bad mouth him or act like a jerk to him.

Actually Banachek left because of Criss' attitude towards everyone, including Banacheck, his huge ego, and apparent failure to listen to his more experienced and more wise advisers.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Actually Banachek left because of Criss' attitude towards everyone, including Banacheck, his huge ego, and apparent failure to listen to his more experienced and more wise advisers.

Well in that case it makes sense. From what I heard is that his show Believe was pretty much a flop. Wayne Houchin showed a clip of Penn talking about the show and saying it was pretty much depressing and drained the life out of him.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Kenneth Anger, King Diamond, Teresa Hidy, David Vincent, Marilyn Manson, Thomas Thorn, Aaron Joehlin, Boyd Rice, Marc Almond, Alkaline Trio guitarist and singer Matt Skiba and drummer Derek Grant, professional wrestler Balls Mahoney, professional wrestler Sterling James Keenan, journalist Michael Moynihan, pianist Liberace, death metal guitarist Matthew McRaith, Sammy Davis Jr. and the artist Coop are all members of the Satanic Church. You can join for $200.

You sayin you're too good for the Devil, Sperry?

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Kenneth Anger, King Diamond, Teresa Hidy, David Vincent, Marilyn Manson, Thomas Thorn, Aaron Joehlin, Boyd Rice, Marc Almond, Alkaline Trio guitarist and singer Matt Skiba and drummer Derek Grant, professional wrestler Balls Mahoney, professional wrestler Sterling James Keenan, journalist Michael Moynihan, pianist Liberace, death metal guitarist Matthew McRaith, Sammy Davis Jr. and the artist Coop are all members of the Satanic Church. You can join for $200.

You sayin you're too good for the Devil, Sperry?
You must be joking. First off he didnt say anything, he just asked if you were serious.

Why would you stereotype his character as Devil worshiping? I hope its not because of the way he looks. I have friends that are lawyers and they like to get together to ride their Harley's. This doesnt make them law breakers or gangsters just because they wear leather on the weekends.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results