Mathieu Bich - Eject

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I just saw this trick on his site and it immediately reminded me of a trick I've been doing since middle school (5 years ago). I am absolutely sure I came up with this independently. I had an idea for a while about a rising card and was looking for material with the right qualities. I've tried many things but they were either too thick, or not springy enough. Then I had a eureka moment. I got a ... from a friend of the family ... After playing with it I quickly realized that there were 2 side effects that I didn't predict. ...

It's a very nice rising card effect. ... Another amazing thing is that it can be used as a regular rising card ... and you can make the card slowly rise to 70-80% of it's height.

Anyways, I hope people don't think this is exposure. I definitely did not buy his trick (so I can't be explaining it) because I already know a similar effect. I am simply sharing _my_ effect with you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I just saw this trick on his site and it immediately reminded me of a trick I've been doing since middle school (5 years ago). I am absolutely sure I came up with this independently. I had an idea for a while about a rising card and was looking for material with the right qualities. I've tried many things but they were either too thick, or not springy enough. Then I had a eureka moment. I got a ... from a friend of the family ... After playing with it I quickly realized that there were 2 side effects that I didn't predict. ...

It's a very nice rising card effect. ... Another amazing thing is that it can be used as a regular rising card ... and you can make the card slowly rise to 70-80% of it's height.

Anyways, I hope people don't think this is exposure. I definitely did not buy his trick (so I can't be explaining it) because I already know a similar effect. I am simply sharing _my_ effect with you guys.
Thanks for revealing xD

Last edited by a moderator:

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I've been doing this trick for 5+ years. And I was probably not the first to do it anyways, so it's even older than that. It's not his. Looks like he independently came up with the same effect, probably shortly after thinking up TnR (if you know what I mean).

The only thing I exposed was how I did this ancient trick a long time ago. I absolutely believe that I independently came up with it, and it is my right to tell you guys how it happened and how I made it work.

I want to edit the title since it is misleading, but they don't let you do that.

Sep 9, 2007
People react on exposure like a freaking dracula on garlic. OMG you told the method! OMG you're freaking killing magic! ;)

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I wouldn´t know what is more exposure than this..

Well, I'm going to play devils advocate here. Because its fun.

Assuming it is in fact an effect he made, and assuming he never learned of Bichs method, one can figure it's Aos' effect.

Now let's look at the term exposure. Something is ONLY exposure if you are revealing the method to an effect without the creators approval.

Now, taking those two things, Aos came up with that idea on his own, and by the meaning of exposure, this is NOT exposure. He is willingly sharing his own effect.

It's not impossible for people to come up with the same idea without knowing of each other. Just because someone else markets it first does not mean the others have any less right to do what they wish with it. They created it, after all. You expect magicians to be able to lay claim to others creativity? Now thats just plain stupid.

This, of course, presupposes that he did in fact make the effect without knowing Bichs method.

*hops to the other side of the fence*

Now, if he did in fact know of Bichs method, and is claiming that as his own, and then posted the method knowing how Bichs works, it is just bad form. Yes, it may be your method, but respect him, too. Use the effect as you please, just don't reveal publicly how its done. No need to harm other magicians if not needed.

-ThrallMind

Nov 6, 2007
Ok Aos, I also came up with this method myself. I have never heard of Bich's effect, and yet I still don't know what it looks like. I was just messing around with a rubber band one day and a deck of cards and came up with this.

I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of magicians come up with the same idea all the time, and by all the time I mean ALL the time.

I don't think it was a good idea of you to expose it though.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
All this talk of exposure is discrediting Bichs' genius. I do a version of this effect, which I originally did with a rubber band from a diaper. I don't know how he achieves the effect. Knowing Bich, he probably does it with salt (or something equally as crazy).

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
I've been doing this trick for 5+ years. And I was probably not the first to do it anyways, so it's even older than that. It's not his. Looks like he independently came up with the same effect, probably shortly after thinking up TnR (if you know what I mean).

The only thing I exposed was how I did this ancient trick a long time ago. I absolutely believe that I independently came up with it, and it is my right to tell you guys how it happened and how I made it work.

I want to edit the title since it is misleading, but they don't let you do that.

I'm just wondering, how would you know if Bich thought of this method just recently or alot later than you? How can you be sure that he didn't come up with the idea 6 years ago?

I believe professional magicians kept the tricks for themselves for years before they actually published them.

Take for example TornToo of Daniel Garcia. The fact that it is recently being released on Dvd doen't necessarily mean that Daniel has came up with this idea just recently. Indeed, he's been doing it for years.

Alright, fine, even though you really came up with the idea first, why not "revealing" (or like you said, "sharing") it 4-5 years ago when you were in middle school? Why you decided to reveal it when Bich releases this effect? Is it because that Bich released the effect (before you actually have the chance to do so), so you have to ruin it?

I might be wrong on this, but I personally think that you have the right to reveal an effect only if you have released it on your own first.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Well, by the same logic I didn't want to 'release' it right away. I told how its done to magicians that I knew personally, but I was 15 at the time so I didn't know that many. Then at about 17 I stopped doing magic when I seriously got into a video game called 'zero hour'. It took a lot of time but I was good enough to beat the top pros some of the time. Very recently (read my join date) I got back into magic when I found this site. Then there was a topic about more 1 on 1 videos, and somebody asked why doesn't Bich post any, and I posted a link to his site where he sells his own tricks. While looking for the English link I noticed his new effect and it reminded me of the one I used to do so long ago.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Guys,

I went ahead and removed what anything that might expose the gimmick. I do not think that Aos meant to expose anything other than his own gimmick, however, many of you have raised concerns of a gimmick by Matthew Bich being exposed, and as a precaution I have edited his original post, as we do not want any form of exposure.

In the future if any of you feel that a post or a forum needs a moderator's attention, do not hesitate to PM a moderator, or use the "Report Post" button located above the post.

Take care, everyone,
TDA

Nov 29, 2007
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I might be wrong on this, but I personally think that you have the right to reveal an effect only if you have released it on your own first.

I think that, this is an example of an idea that has gone too far out on a limb, it's not a logical point. Just because the guy is selling HIS effect, does not mean that the other guy cannot share his effect. It's like telling a person that their idea is not good enough for the world, just because someone else came up with a similar effect and shared it first.

Aswell, the main purpose of the effect is the same... This being said, does that mean that you can expose the end result(climax) of the effect? I think not, I think that he showed us one possible way to create the same climax, but did not expose anything similar to the other trick, Bich's.

Why am I so opinionated? I have already thought of the same thing, and I'm a magician, this should make me "HATEFUL"! MY effect was "STOLEN"! But I'm not, I really don't care, because I don't see a good ruteen that I can fit it into, it seems old, that's all.

Again... THIS WAS NOT EXPOSURE!

Aug 31, 2007
Guys,

I went ahead and removed what anything that might expose the gimmick. I do not think that Aos meant to expose anything other than his own gimmick, however, many of you have raised concerns of a gimmick by Matthew Bich being exposed, and as a precaution I have edited his original post, as we do not want any form of exposure.

In the future if any of you feel that a post or a forum needs a moderator's attention, do not hesitate to PM a moderator, or use the "Report Post" button located above the post.

Take care, everyone,
TDA

If you edited it, why does it say edited by JTM?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results