McMillan Switch by Jason England

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
I bought this product only a couple of hours ago so bear that in mind as you read this.

I'm not going to comment on video quality because we all know how good T11 is at that (he types paradoxically).

The Teacher
I really like Jason England's style. Very chilled out and you don't get the impression he is putting it on for the camera. As the video is not actually teaching a full trick there are no performances to audiences so I can't comment on that.

The Angles
Generally the camera angles are great, except, I thought, in the shot exposing the palm. It is not a palm I have used before so I was really taking care in making sure I was doing everything correctly; but the angle wasn't great so that was slightly vexing.
The angles for the actual move are great. It is not actually invisible from every angle as England says, but it is fairly close if you do it correctly. Probably about 270 degrees, but if there was someone standing directly behind you, looking over your shoulder, I think they would see it. Obviously that's not exactly likely but I think it still needs mentioning.

Reset
This is instant reset because you finish, having switched the cards, with the other card in the same palm as the first was in, so you can literally turn over a card to show the face of a different one, then turn it back to show the back of the original one. Why you would want to do this is anybody's guess.

Additional Ideas
Jason mentions a couple of things about this move which could make it applicable to more tricks you perform.
You can use the switch to switch two cards for two cards, or two cards for one card etc. The example used is if you want to switch a blackjack hand for a better one.
You can also switch a red back card for a blue backed card. The spectator will never see the back of the switched-in card if this move is executed correctly. I suppose this is an example of when you might want to turn a card over to show a different back, then turn it over again to see the original face - to prove that the queen of spades (or whatever) is red backed, then have it change to blue backed etc. but it would be a rather round about way of doing it.

Overall
I think this is a really helpful move and I'll use it quite a lot. Mainly as an out for my find the lady routine and in a trick by Derren Brown.

I'd just like to credit Adjones in this because I stole his layout for the review.
Thanks Adjones and thanks Jason England

EDIT: MacMillan Switch. I forgot the 'a' in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results