Mental Epoch by Steve Fearson and eMagic Supply

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
MENTAL EPOCH BY STEVE FEARSON

Effect: In an impossibly fair piece of mentalism, the performer impossibly predicts four very random choiced made by the spectator, and everything is as fair as fair can be. There are no switches, there is no nail writing. It's an impromptu Mental Epic taken to the next level.

Review: Being a huge fan of mentalism (I dabble), I was very excited about Mental Epoch. Steve promised a borderline revolutionary use for one of mentalism's most popular principles, and that's exactly what I got. Mental Epoch is a seriously good piece.

What Steve has done with Mental Epoch is extremely clever. He has taken a brilliant principle and modified it in a practical and EVEN MORE deceptive manner. Even people familiar with this principle may be fooled by this effect... those who aren't familiar with it have absolutely no chance. The principle allows you to make four impossibly accurate predictions about four different free choices made by a spectator... each of the four predictions is written in its own divided section of a single piece of paper, and only one sheet is ever used... nothing is added, taken away, or switched. Steve's modifications on the principle in question not only make this effect very practical and workable, but also very fair in appearance with a VERY clever subtlety employed for maximum effectiveness.

When you download Mental Epoch, you get a detailed instructional video with everything you need to know. Steve covers all you'll need to get started performing this effect. Picture and sound quality, video-wise, are crystal clear (not that it particularly matters). If you've ever received a video download from Fearson before, you know what you'll be getting with this download. There is really nothing to complain about at all here.

How does the effect play for live audiences? Spectacularly. Mental Epoch has fooled laypeople and magicians alike... I was personally surprised that magicians were fooled by it, but they were. One magician was convinced that I had used a nail writer in performance. This isn't the first time one of Steve Fearson's effects has had magicians scratching their heads either, he's got some very good stuff out there. Anyways, the effect is straightforward enough to register with any spectator right away to achieve full impact. Really, how can you expect an impossible prediction effect to garnish good reaction? Like most of Steve's stuff, this is a very adaptable piece. Although it is intended for intimate performance, it could play just as well in a formal show or even stage show. It's mentalism that really has no limits.

I really think you'll love the principle at work here. It's too clever, and in the right hands will leave spectators in disbelief... not to mention the limitless possibilities there are. Mental Epoch gets a score of 8/10 from me. If you're looking for some good impromptu mentalism for intimate work, this might be just what you're looking for.

Mental Epoch by Steve Fearson can be ordered at http://emagicsupply.com/112-mentalepoch-60-custom.html

Michael Kras

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results