mental force

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
Do any of you guys know books or dvd's teaching on the mental force? thanks

Feb 7, 2011
Derren brown's work is what i think of due to his extensive use of the mental force of the 3 of diamonds. His dvd set The devil's picturebook has a few of methods for mentally forcing cards, one so reliable he places the card in view of the spectator before forcing it. Banachek's Psychological subtleties delves into it aswell, with more than just cards.

Im sure the mentalists on the forum will be able to provide alot more sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Daniel Madison has a PDF download on his site called "Psycho". It has some pretty interesting ideas in it. Personally though I haven't really used any of them. I hate to feel scripted so I usually just use a slip force or something.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Do any of you guys know books or dvd's teaching on the mental force? thanks

Yes; what do you want to force?

It is possible force anything from cards to colours to pictures to words to forcing a spectator to point to a particular hiding place in a room.

To share a brief story, the mentor of one who is now very well known to the field of mentalism once showed him a card trick. The mentor placed a card in front of him, and asked him to name a card. The card named was the one on the table. When the mentor was asked how he did it, he replied, "Begin with Erdnase."

I mention this story to convey the point that a broad knowledge in magic and mentalism will help you far more than any specific sources I can give. Consider this my encouragement to you to learn about mentalism. A mentalism effect will never reach the dizzying heights that it is capable of if you don't broadly know about what mentalism is, and thus how to perform it for maximum impact.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
My suggestion is quite simple; study everything you can find when it comes to the psychological principles of magic/mentalism which happens to include how to use your words, body language, etc. in order to plant the seeds you need to plant; Banacheck mentions this is book one of the Psychological Subtleties series and I do believe several others have echoed it over the years, including Kenton Knepper who, along with his team-mates, have done more in this area than just about anyone (attaching strong NLP associations at the same time)

Understanding statistics is another area you will want to look at; the easiest and most practical tool on this point that's Magic related would be the book TRADECRAFT. Though it's about cold reading it has an amazing appendix of statistical commons.

PRACTICE is really the only way to learn this. You might want to pick-up a copy of Michael Murry's "Between the Lines" in that it exploits this line of thinking at a significant level; it's one of my favorites bits of business. Another routine that I use a great deal is MAO TOU KNOWS by Stuart Palm, it's a phenomenally powerful Pendulum act and that's before you start doing anything with the pendulum itself.

Best of luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results