Metal by Dee Christopher

Dec 26, 2008
Metal by Dee Christopher.

The moment I heard Dee was putting out this DVD I was excited to say the least. I have always been a fan of Dees work, finding it well thought out and highly devious. This DVD is no exception. Even though I have learned some of the techniques taught before, it was nice to see them explained in front of you with many more of Dees personal thoughts added in. A few years ago, I would not have tried metal bending, thinking that it was not my sort of thing but I was wrong. Dee teaches very well and the easy techniques taught are enough to make you look like a master of spoon bending in no time at all – so much so that two of the tricks on this DVD are now big parts of my walkaround act. Four amazing techniques are taught in this DVD and I will go through them now.

Quicksilver

I love this effect! Two spoons are shown to the spectators. One is seen to visually twist right in front of their eyes and the other bent into an arc in three equally visual spectators. The reason I love this is because of how amazing it seems to the spectators. The reactions I have had from performing this effect are some of the best I have ever had – even though the trick has been performed by an inexperienced spoon bender like myself. You can tell Dee has put a lot of thought into this routine and it is packed with subtleties. Quicksilver requires a little practice and a little setup but it is definitely worth it.

HDFCK

HDFCK is another spoon bending effect where an examined spoon warps into a very unusual shape right in the spectators hands. It is another easy to do, very effective and amazing trick which will really stick in the minds of the spectator. It is a very distinct and unique spoon bending trick. Because the spectator is holding the spoon all the time it is bending it makes it even more personal. I really like this effect which is very open and fair and is entirely examinable at the end. I do not use this as much as I do some of the other effects but I am sure that for some people it will be perfect for them.

SYN

Normally I am a card worker but when someone wants to see something different I show them this. When I went on my work experience this year, this trick made such an impression at the theatre company I went to that I have been asked to come back and consult them on their next major performance in the aspects of magic. The effect is thus; two coins are shown and one is placed in the spectator’s hand. They close their fist around it and you hold the other one above their hand. As they see the coin above their hand visually bending they will always claim to be able to feel the coin bending in their hand too (and they will always say they will). They open their hand to see that coin bent too. This effect is so well constructed and well thought out and it really looks convincing. The preparation is easy to do and really doesn’t take long to setup or learn. Dee has a vey clever method which flys by a spectator and the announcement that they can actually feel the coin bending really hits others watching hard.

Loki

Loki was included as a bonus effect on this DVD. And I know usually bonus effects aren’t really that great but well… how can I put this? Loki is amazing! “A spectator takes three different coloured poker chips and hides one in each pocket. The performer not only reveals which pocket each resides in, he also can tell them which order they were taken in!” And to top it off, all you need is three poker chips. No gimmicks or anything. I read this in Pieces at 3am – Dees ebook and I have been performing it a lot since. It was good to watch this bonus as well though as he teaches a new idea with it and a few subtleties and it is definitely not a trick to miss. Practical, ungimmicked and baffling. It isn’t often a bonus effect is as good as the rest of the DVD but this is one that is.

Dee also teaches as an extra extra (joke) item his and Titanis's "face bend" spoon bending technique. With the right level of distraction I can see this working very well. However, it is advised not to do it to people bigger than you as they may end up hitting you. Dee teaches this clever, underground technique which will baffle and amaze!

(Note, that last paragraph was sarcasm, but you have to see the face bend in its full glory before you can truly appreciate it ;) )

This DVD is a great buy with clear, easy to follow instructions and the entire thing is well produced. Dee teaches some amazing techniques and ideas which I really like such as his “DC Neck Twist” spoon twisting technique. The DVD is great value for money and teaches techniques that you will use. If you are a metal bender or mentalist or even have a small curiosity, buy this. I can not stress this enough, this is something which is filled with great ideas and routines all of which are practical, workable and clever. If you have never brought anything of Dees before this is something you should definitely get and if you already have some of his work you will know how good what he does is.

Overall, I think that this DVD is very good value for money. It teaches four effects which are practical, workable and visual. I would give it a 9/10 overall. A truly brilliant product.

Ben Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2008
Would you say that this is THE dvd to get if want to get started in metal bending ?.

Well, I couldnt say that as I have not looked at other products of a similar type. But the routines in it are easy to do and easy to learn and look amazing. Dees work certainly sparked my interest in the subject.

Dee personally taught me 'Quicksilver' around May and I have used it at every gig I have done since then. I never used to metal bend but the reactions I have received from doing it are amazing. It inspired me to come up with my own variations that I work often for large crowds. It is amazingly visual and was my reputation maker for 2010. Whenever I do a gig now I am always asked to either do the balloon trick (pressure), The one with the burning card (burn) or the spoon bending one (quicksilver). Dee has an amazingly creative mind and I am a great fan of 'METAL' and would recommend it to anyone!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results